The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2004 entrée: Harry Lorayne » » Out of this universe » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
In Close Up Card Magic you make a point about saying that this is the card effect you are most known for. I didn't really think much of it to be honest, there's a lot of redundant dealing and shuffling, and shuffling and dealing and the end effect is a little confused with the addition of the third mixed pile. My personal preferance is to keep things as direct as possible so I'm not too keen on repeatedly dealing through the deck or for that matter having a spectator deal through it. :|

What do you feel Out of this universe adds to Paul Curry's original creation?

Euan Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Get Harry's L&L tape where he perform this. It is in miracle status!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Euan: The best advice I can give you - that is, if you want my advice - is, DON'T DO OUT OF THIS UNIVERSE. Please, don't.
I never said that it was good, bad or indifferent. I just said that it was, at that time, what I was most known for. Seems as if you've added your own interpretation to my words. I think I once published the letter in APOCALYPSE, not sure - but I had one letter from a guy who said he wanted to build a cathedral where I walk because of OUT OF THIS UNIVERSE. That's what HE said, not me. Obviously, I have the feeling that if he built it, you'd raze it!
As to what I added, read the second paragraph of that item in CUCM.
You, also obviously, don't know how, or where or when, to present it if you're not getting a great response with it. But, Euan, it's a simple thing, as everyone knows. If an effect or routine doesn't work for you - DON'T DO IT. Incidentally, I fooled Paul Curry with it, and he thought it was one of the best things he'd ever seen.
However, to paraphrase Voltaire - I will fight to the death for your right to your opinion. I'm assuming you will do the same for me. But I'd rather not voice my opinion publicly as you felt obligated to do. Thanks for your interest. HARRY LORAYNE.

Posted: Feb 5, 2004 5:22pm
-------------------------------------------
MagicChris: It wouldn't do much good. HARRY.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
RIGHT ON HARRY!!!

It fooled Paul Curry-that's enough for me!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
I don't do the effect, I was just wondering as to your thinking which led to Out of this universe. Do you feel that the process of having the spectator deal the two piles only to have them shuffle them and deal them out again adds to the effect? Or do you think that the once through approach offers greater clarity? Just interested to hear your thoughts.

Ta

Euan
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I think Mr.Lorayne had answered to Euan's second question without mentioning it. Please read between the lines.

Hideo Kato
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, Hideo. You've answered Euan's question. I can't. My feeling is - if you don't "see" it by now (I originally published OUT OF THIS UNIVERSE in HUGARD'S MAGIC MONTHLY, in 1952, for God's sake!) you "ain't" gonna' see it. HARRY.

Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Harry:

When I heard you were going to be here I felt I had to stop in and say hello.

Euan:

I can’t speak for Harry and, in fact, he may not agree with everything I’m going to say. But, as someone who has performed "Out of this Universe" many times, I thought I’d pass along my thoughts.

The mistake many magicians make is to view "Out of this Universe" as a version of "Out of this World." This is understandable in light of the title and some of the patter Harry suggests. (Harry developed his trick right when magicians were going crazy over the Curry effect. Some of his patter suggests that he was interested in using "Out of this Universe" to fool the pants off those magicians.) In fact, however, Harry’s trick is not a version of Curry’s and, therefore, comparisons are pointless.

"Out of this World" is an effect in which the spectator psychically separates the red cards from the black cards. "Out of this Universe" is an effect in which the performer brings order out of chaos despite thorough and repeated randomizing of the deck. This randomizing is achieved by a combination of the spectator’s dealing and the performer’s shuffling. Viewed in this way, none of the procedure is either redundant or muddling. Presented in this way, "Out of this Universe" is one of the strongest impromptu card effects.

The best performance of "Out of this Universe" I’ve seen was by Juan Tamariz on national television in Spain. Anyone who knows Juan knows the care with which he picks his performing material, so I consider that quite an endorsement.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Ricky B
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
172 Posts

Profile of Ricky B
An endorsement by Darwin Ortiz is quite an endorsement too.

--Rick
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Quote:
On 2004-02-05 18:07, Euan wrote:
I don't do the effect

How do you know if something is worth while if you don't try it?

I performed Out of This Universe sometime back to a group of about 20 people in a bar, they went nuts.
Armando Tell
View Profile
New user
mexico city
27 Posts

Profile of Armando Tell
I performed out of this universe on national tv in Mexico with a blind guy...awesome
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2004-02-06 02:02, Darwin Ortiz wrote:

Harry developed his trick right when magicians were going crazy over the Curry effect. Some of his patter suggests that he was interested in using "Out of this Universe" to fool the pants off those magicians.

Confirmed by what Harry Lorayne writes in his opening remarks to Out of this Universe:

"I evolved this idea years ago, because I wanted something with which to fool the wise guys who got a knowing gleam in their eyes when I would start to do, 'Out of this World.' I found that this fractured them, and fooled magicians too." (CUCM, p.80)
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hey Darwin: Nice to "hear your voice." Been awhile. Thanks for answering Euan. What's interesting to me is his one remark, up a few posts ago, where he says, "I don't do the effect."
Are you a computer "maven"? If you are, plese go to the topic "Stumping Harry Lorayne" and see the question re: computers I asked Randy. I'm putting this in a few of my replies, just in case someone knows the answer. Godd to hear from you, Darwin. HARRY. (PS: Shall we talk about all those years ago - at the Roosevelt Hotel?!)

cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Nice to see you here Harry.
Many of the effects everyone is talking about here are "NEW" to me... I was born in 1979...

Michael Lam
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Yes, old things are new and new things are old really.

Hideo Kato
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
I just wanted to say that I DO love the trick. However, I didn't know it was yours and I haven't got any of your books. I learned the effect from some website.

I don't know if it is copyrighted material mr. Lorayne. if so, I would post the link so you could take action.
Deal cards, not drugs!
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
I think "Out of this Universe" is a strong effect. It's a VERY simple idea, but strong.

Personally, I am not so sure about "Out of this World". Everyone says it's the "greatest card trick ever".... PLEASE! I first saw it performed when I was 10 years old. It was a good performance, but the method was obvious to me. I think it is a trick for magicians who think that "laymen" (as they so LOVE to call ordinary intelligent people) are not particularly astute. Yes - it can be made effective with proper presentation, but a moment's thought by any intelligent person will "tip" the method to them. (At least, that is my opinion - but I have always been sharp at discerning the method used to create magic effects, so maybe I am an unusual case!)

"Out of this Universe" is stronger because, as Darwin says, it is an entirely different concept with a legitimate, convincing, mixing build-up (incorporating natural time misdirection) that makes "mental reconstruction and solution" after the event, rather more difficult.

It's a good one, Harry...

Steve

P.S. I have just read the contents of Derren Brown's "The Devil's Picturebook" video which says he includes a version of "Out of this World" with just TWO (not four) piles. I have not seen the video, but am interested to know if anyone has, and what they make of his version... I got thinking last night and came up with a potential solution, but don't know Derren's actual method... yet!
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Out of this Universe has been one of my favourite effects to perform with a borrowed deck.

Euan may need to look at the way he's presenting this trick, if every move you do is motivated then you cannot fail to stun with this one.

"Study to be entertaining first, and make your trick incidental." - Ted Anneman

Be positive in whatever it is you do and remember life's a game and we're here to have fun.

Socrates

'Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work' - Thomas J. Edison Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Michael: Boy, you have a long way to go. Just my books should take you into at least the year 2012. HARRY.

Posted: Feb 6, 2004 11:02am
Tielie: of course it's copyrighted material, but some people don't seem to care about that. One day, something will be done about it. I can stop these people ;but it's really not worth the legal fees. But do give me that site address, then if I can at least I can let him know how I feel about it. Okay? Harry.

Posted: Feb 6, 2004 11:07am
SteveMartin: Interesting, and I've told this story in APOCALYPSE a long time ago. Before I was married, it was 1947, I bought Out of This World. It was Karrell Fox behind the counter here in NYC. It cost me one of my last dollars - no kidding. But, gee, I had to learn this trick. I did. I rushed home, got dressed, and ran to see Renee (I don't know how to get that acute accent over the next-to-last e in her name) to show her this trick.
Well, I did. And - she IMMEDIATELY said, "Well, you must have had the reds and blacks already separated!" And she didn't know the first thing about card magic. Of course, this was before I could do REAL false shuffles, etc.
I don't know ANY of Derren Brown's work, Steve. If you can find out that method, please let me know. I don't know him, but at the moment I have to assume it's a take-off on my routine. No? HARRY.

Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
The Derren Brown method goes like this. The spectator shuffles the deck, no switches or false shuffles. He shuffles the whole deck himself. Now he deals the cards out into two piles, one for red one for black. The piles are turned over and shown to be correct. Very direct handling!

Euan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2004 entrée: Harry Lorayne » » Out of this universe » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL