The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Lasso Card Trick (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Hello!
I would like to know who manufactures a Good quality Lasso Card Trick Rope.
I get one ( A cheap one ) by Loftus or Empire and I really didn't like it!
Thanks,
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I was going to suggest Loftus Novelty as your source, I don't know who else would be actually making a version with different construction materials. If you are not liking it, then I suggest you get Ted Lesley's DVD or Download called Cabaret Magic. He gives great handling and setup tips on the trick.

Download: http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=pr......s_id=376

The trick was a real hit back in the 1980's, for some reason it is very popular with German magicians. I don't know why or even who invented it or what dealer 1st put it on the market as several different magic manufacturers originally made it. As with most magic, once supplies are depleted they move on to the next "hot" magic item.

Loftus product is the nicest version I have ever seen. It use to be made with the thin (1/4"), cored, off white, magicians rope.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
See paul potassy. I like his way of thinking and how his g*****k is constructed.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
You can easily make your own.

Annemann tells how.

As do others.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Rich Marotta sells them on his site along with his great routine that I've used for years in my stand up adult shows. Cheesewrestler is right, its not hard to make.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think paying $6 or $10 is a lot cheaper then all the hunting, searching for materials, and buying hanks of rope. I do suggest you get the referenced resources to learn a better way to set it up and learn how to present this trick.

Even Gaetan Bloom has a routine for this trick.

http://www.tricksupply.com/product-p/dvd3talesfromplanet.htm
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
The trick is super strong. Been in my corporate shows for years. I even perform it in my kid shows using alphabet playing cards. Not hard to present at all. My full routine is on my Birthday Party Mania 3 DVD.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What is the appeal of this trick? Wouldn't Card To Orange be a stronger card revelation then lassoing a selected card?

Now I can see where if one wanted to learn some rope 'tricks' like snapping a knot in the rope would add to the trick, but without a build up, it does not look that mysterious or strong to me.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
It really is Bill, at least to the lay audience. In Rich's routine (it's the only routine that I've seen and that I perform) a paper lunch bag is shown empty and turned upside down "proving" it is empty. The illusion of the lasso going into the bag looks fairer than fair. So when the rope is pulled out with the selected card, I feel it is just as strong a revelation to the lay audience as say, the card in orange. MPO

I can attest, the applause automatically comes when they see the selected card. people really ARE amazed and in my head I'm saying to myself, "If they only knew." Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Gads... I had this in my lecture over 50 years ago. I called it "Rope Bag".
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:

The trick was a real hit back in the 1980's, for some reason it is very popular with German magicians. I don't know why or even who invented it or what dealer 1st put it on the market as several different magic manufacturers originally made it. As with most magic, once supplies are depleted they move on to the next "hot" magic item.

It was probably more popular among German magicians as the effect was created and first sold by German magic dealer Werry, who put it on the market in 1954. Most versions since have been unauthorized copies.

Karrell Fox published a completely different method for accomplishing the effect in one of his books (possibly "Another Book" published by Supreme).

Chazpro Magic put out a neat twist on the effect which I used to use in close up and for small childrens parties, called Ali Gator

http://www.chazpro.com/ali-gator/
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
There is a version called - Fisher's Dream

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19700
I had no experience with this trick. But my friends said good reviews. Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2017, Eugene Chekhov wrote:
There is a version called - Fisher's Dream

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19700
I had no experience with this trick. But my friends said good reviews. Smile

I recently put this version into a show, and although I was concerned about the handling which provides the "signed card" to be used, it went extremely smooth. In getting some audience feedback after the show, I do recommend using Rich Marotta's tip of "tying" a lasso to the end of the rope before dipping in the bag for the reveal (not used or described in the "Fisher's Dream" version.)
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Is there a no gimmick rope version that can be done with just sleight of hand? Like maybe with the one handed knot?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Is there a no gimmick rope version that can be done with just sleight of hand? Like maybe with the one handed knot?

If there was it would have been published in a book or magazine, nothing to sell without apparatus to include.

There is an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

As your question implies that you are adapt to tying a one handed knot in a length of rope, so now all you have to do is work out the solution of putting it around the playing card.

I can see a way to do this, by adding a beautiful assistant, using switches, misdirection, and timing of movements. Looking forward to you published solution, before Penn and Teller do it on their show. I swear, they read my posts on the Café.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Fishers dream looks good, But I have not seen any others, I always like a comedy element to tricks, I will search through the others before I buy,
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Idea: put the whole deck in the loop. Now shake the rope. One card us left. The chosen one.
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=pr......s_id=505

Is it interesting - then the interpretation of the lasso card - or is it a completely different trick?
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of mandrax
The one from chazpro is really good and very reliable. it is called Ali Gator and uses a chain.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Tomy hassini has one on his beginner magic. he uses a "pen that he got from the bank" (black pen with the chain connected to it still) but it does ruin the signed card as you have to stab thru it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Lasso Card Trick (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL