The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Good gimmicked straight jacket? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hood
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Hood
I am having trouble on figuring out which gimmicked straight jacket to buy. I have always used a non-gimmicked one but now due to one personal issue I have to get a gimmicked one. What do you guys recommend for a gimmicked version.
Thank you
Derek
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I would get a similar style to the current one.
What brand are you using now?
If you don't have a preferance then HR is my personal choice.
Hood
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Hood
I cant remember the name or brand of the one I use to use as it was given to me and I have not used it in some time now. So no real preference on brand just a good quality gimmicked jacket that will last me quite awhile that functions every time.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Many people will argue against a gimmicked jacket. I am one of them. I have a gimmicked jacket only because the price was right. I don't use the gimmick. I play it straight. You can do the escape for real, and if you get sweated up from the struggle, so much the better for the effect your audience sees.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Cliff, he said he can't use an ungimmicked jacket ...

Quote:
due to one personal issue

...(clearly he has more than just one personal issue ... heck don't we all! Smile and I am not judging him for that ..... if you lot claim you don't have any personal issues I won't believe you!!)

As this is stopping him from using an ungimmicked jacket he needs a gimmicked one. At the end of the day its not how you get out ...... but that you entertain doing it.

Derek, I was not poking fun at you just playing with language. If I were you I would play on your "One personal issue" (now I'm gently teasing about you having more than one 'personal issue') and use it in your performance. If you have something that will make escaping that bit harder (or impossible) use it - if you don't want to 'discuss it' in performance select parts of it that can be embellished on to come up with a feasible reason as to why the escape is harder for you.

Don't forget to put your spectator in the jacket to confirm they cant get out.

All the best in your search!

David
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I use a couple of straitjackets depending on the audience. For some audiences, if I feel that an ungimmicked SJ would be most entertaining, I break out my Posey. However, for many audiences, I find that my gimmicked SJ works just fine (in some cases, better, as I have a bit more fun with the audience in the process). I've found the Straitjacket Pro (Penguin) is very serviceable, looks good on stage, is easy to use, and the price is right. Harlan's accompanying DVD does a pretty good job of providing tips as to how to 'age' it. Keep in mind that it won't hold up like a Posey or Humane Restraint, but it's a bit of effective costumery.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Good gimmicked straight jacket? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL