The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 3-Card Monte Promotional Giveaway (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mbkorn
View Profile
New user
Jupiter, FL
66 Posts

Profile of mbkorn
I am looking for a source for 3-Card Monte giveaways...the one with the custom-printed, center card with the client's information.

Does anyone have contact information where I can source this item?
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
I know that Fun Inc. offers custom made Three Card Monte sets.

Here is their contact information:

Fun Inc., 2100 N. Major Ave., Chicago, IL 60639-2999
1-877-438-6462

http://www.hamptonridge.com/custom.html

Hope that helps.
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I do not reccomend this trick as a giveaway for several reasons.

1. I don't think you should EVER expose a trick if there are many magicians currently performing it. You are just making people who will yell, "I know how he did that!" I am using this in shows, as well as many other magicians.
2. It brings up the possibility that you were using gimmicked cards in the rest of your show, whether you did or not.
3. I feel that this isn't a "layman" kind of trick. I've used this in shows and still do. It gets as good a reaction as anything else. Put it this way. Say you were doing a show, and at the end you went and exposed the best trick in it and handed out the gimmick. It takes away from the impact of the entire show.

I'd recommend choosing a different "layman" type of trick.
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
Redstreak,
The pros that are using this as a giveaway for the customer are justified. This effect is sold to the client to do a better job of selling their message.
This adds entertainer's profit, as well as value to the client's goals. I remember a trade show magician using jumbo cards to demo the effect before the giveaway. These are usually given as a gift for attending the show or product display. As a paid pro I would not do this as a performance piece in my show. I like routines that are more visible. This of course this is my opinion, and I could be wrong.
It's Fun to be Fooled
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Whether or not YOU do, many other magicians are, Bill Malone for instance. And you are just doing mass exposure to make our lives harder. I can understand something like a Svengali deck which a lot of laymen know about, but not the three card monte.
mbkorn
View Profile
New user
Jupiter, FL
66 Posts

Profile of mbkorn
Thanks, for your help, Thorsten.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
You can make your own custom printed card.. Use some sand paper to take off the finish of the middle card and then a rubber stamp to put your info on it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Haine's House of Cards also provides custom printing and the trick in Aviator cards.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I don't know anyone who uses the FLAP three card monte in their professional shows. I think tipping a Svengali deck is a lot more damaging. Perhaps redstreak you are thinking we are talking about the Skinner monte. We are not. It is a completely different trick and one that was sold as a slum item in magic stores many years back.

Any child can do the flap three card monte. If you are worried that teaching this trick to laymen jeopardizes your ability to make a living, then that in and of itself should be a wake up call.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2004-02-11 16:56, truthteller wrote:
I don't know anyone who uses the FLAP three card monte in their professional shows. I think tipping a Svengali deck is a lot more damaging. Perhaps redstreak you are thinking we are talking about the Skinner monte. We are not. It is a completely different trick and one that was sold as a slum item in magic stores many years back.

Any child can do the flap three card monte. If you are worried that teaching this trick to laymen jeopardizes your ability to make a living, then that in and of itself should be a wake up call.

Woah, my bad. I thought you were talking about Skinner's monte (I have seen Skinner's monte exposed for no reason). Never mind. I'm not sure what you mean by the "flap" method.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2004-02-11 16:56, truthteller wrote:

But if you ever saw Ken Brooke do his "The Dutch Looper" routine.... Smile Same gaff!

Pat Page's Kitson Miracle uses a flap.

Yes it has become a "slum" version and many do use it as a giveaway in corporate work (even a good friend of mine) but I don't agree with it particularly. Again, the effect has been a victim of mass marketing and trivialisation.

I think those that do this should include a different three card trick routine in their act to further "distance" what has been given away from what "real" magicians supposedly do so it is not thought of as a genuine exposure.

In fact it is exposure. It still fools people; that is why they are given away to people so they can fool their friends! A principle is being given away. Yes it is as old as the hills (aren't most magical methods) and some know it (not surprising with all these being given away) and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but I don't think it should be encouraged.

Ethics seem to get thinner on the ground when there is money to be made. What tricks will it be thought to be okay to use as giveaways next time? The time after? That steady drip, drip, of knowledge being imparted to the general public.

Paul.
P.s Mbkorn, I'm not specifically having a go at you, you're in good company. As I said, one of my best friends does it and some of the top names in corporate magic do it. I just wish people could be creative in coming up with a magic themed giveway that is not necessarily a trick.
mbkorn
View Profile
New user
Jupiter, FL
66 Posts

Profile of mbkorn
Thank you for all your comments and concerns.
Brad, I appreciate your input here.

BTW, the only Monte I regularly perform is the BLOOM MONTE. My suggestion is to throw away the routine that comes with the set and develop your own.

The concept is ingenious. I believe Bob Farmer has utilized the principle in other routines; however, I am surprised that more applications have not been explored...Ace assemblies, Progressive aces, sandwich effects, open travellers, etc...
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2004-02-12 09:10, mbkorn wrote:
Thank you for all your comments and concerns.
Brad, I appreciate your input here.

BTW, the only Monte I regularly perform is the BLOOM MONTE. My suggestion is to throw away the routine that comes with the set and develop your own.

The concept is ingenious. I believe Bob Farmer has utilized the principle in other routines; however, I am surprised that more applications have not been explored...Ace assemblies, Progressive aces, sandwich effects, open travellers, etc...

The basic principle goes back to Jordan; only the material used changed and added an instant self working feature.

As for being under explored elsewhere, I agree, but it may be that cardworkers already have excellent versions of some of the routines mentioned without gaffs (though I'm sure they'd be fooled if something along these lines were sprung on them).

Whilst certainly one of the cleverest methods, I don't think the Bloom version is suitable for repeated use table after table in one evening.

Paul.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Truthteller: For the record, I have used the "flap" 3 card monte in professional shows. With the right presentation it is a killer trick. Don't be so quick to dismiss it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Redstreak:

Fun Inc and Haines are both excellent sources of Three Card Monte giveaways. Geoff's suggestion of making your own would be fine if you were simply going to perform the trick but is completely impractical for a giveaway. You will need at least a thousand of these.

Let me suggest, though, that you consider using Two Card Monte as a giveaway. They are less expensive, work with a different principle, easier to use and teach, and do not impinge upon that vague territory that magicians consider to be "theirs."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I think the two card monte is a much more difficult trick to learn, for a lay person, than the flap 3 card monte. Plus, I think it almost impinges on the paddle move concept. If they can hold the cards, the can do the 3 card monte. No wrist turns. no sliding, nothing.

Geoff, I said, "Any child can do the flap three card monte. If you are worried that teaching this trick to laymen jeopardizes your ability to make a living, then that in and of itself should be a wake up call."

I would hope that someone using this successful in a professional routine is adding a little more to the process and presentation than just "doing the trick" as a child would do. Many performers present tricks based on very simple methods. Hopefully, knowledge of the methodological concept by a layman is not enough to discount your performance.

However, if the child really is a threat, then my statement stands. Perhaps one should reconsider their work if it can be so easily replicated by an untrained layman.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Truthteller: You apparently missed which part of your comment I was responding to. Allow me to show you:
Quote:
I don't know anyone who uses the FLAP three card monte in their professional shows.

I was simply enlightening you to someone who DOES use this in professional shows. (me) Do I feel threatened by people who use this as give-aways? Not in the least.

I'm in good company with another man who uses this in his professional show. Paul Gertner.
Dream&Magic
View Profile
New user
England
16 Posts

Profile of Dream&Magic
bronx
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of bronx
Does anyone know of any resource for the branded 3-card monte other than Fun Inc.? I need to get some made for an upcoming show and they're unable to get them made in time. THANKS.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 3-Card Monte Promotional Giveaway (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL