The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Illustrating Stories from the Bible (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Hi Members.
I notice that Sunday School teachers like to use visual aids or games to illustrate a Bible story or message.
A magician could use a bit of magic for this.
For example: In answer to the question about taxes, Jesus asks to examine a coin and tells them to "give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's". I think that this message could be reinforced by a one coin routine
Can anyone think of Bible messages/stories that lend themselves to illustration or reinforcement by a certain type of magical routine?

Richard
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

This thread is related to the message magic thread in this Forum, but focussed on Bible messages that come up in Sunday School / Bible Study groups and in which a certain type of magic may bolster the message.

Richard
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Veteran user
Battlefield, MO
362 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I've taught the lesson using a gift bag with a picture of an eye on the front... I remove a toothpick and talk about how Jesus taught that people want to warn their brother about the speck in their eye...

I proceed to pull out an 8 foot appearing pole and go on to say that Jesus said that first they must remove the plank from their own eye first.

Blessings!
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8300 Posts

Profile of harris
A couple of months ago, I adapted the Good Samaritan into a ventriloquist routine.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=16
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Harris and Jamie. Those are powerful, imaginitive and unique presentations of the lessons that your audience will not forget.

Richard
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Yesterday the passage came up in which the disciples were not getting any fish, but when they threw out the nets on the other side, they coundn't draw in the net because there were so many fish in it. I thought that a multiplying sponge balls routine might illustrate this.

Richard
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8300 Posts

Profile of harris
I been using the Good Samaritan vent script only a couple of months. It gets better each time I use it.

Last night I used it during our Band's gig at a senior annual dinner for a church.

In the past I have started with the message skits, this time I did a bit with my spring fox first. The comedy seemed to be a nice bridge between our bands music and the Gospel message.

The Good Samaritan vent piece does have it's laugh moments, but the message stays intact.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

From VBS in which the children learnt about the fiery furnace that could not harm Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, I realised that a performance with D'Lites would have been a great illustration.

Richard
stempleton
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I would think that 90% of Gospel magic is based on the illustration of Biblical concepts through magical props, methods and routines. Great posts here on some nice examples here; "object lessons" as I would call them for Sunday School and other regular church programs. I enjoy developing full length routines for special church programs that may require more time to present than is allowed for these, and some obvious examples come to mind: Soft Soap for spiritual cleansing, Silk Cylinder using fruit or even a twist on the Mutilated Parasol to illustrate the fruits of the Spirit, etc.

But here's one I've been working on for a couple of months and will present next month at a VBS... "Ring, Watch and Wallet" illustrating the loss and eventual redemption of Job. I love how the Spirit can inspire magic workers, and I'm very excited about bringing this routine to life. In a post I listed some time ago I proposed using Jorg Alexander's "Sympathetic 10" to bring about an illustration of Christ's ability to relate to our sins, yet remaining sinless Himself. Many have commented on the pluses and minuses of the plethora of tricks coming in to the marketplace; I consider it fields for harvest, once you allow the Spirit to inspire.

Good luck, Richard, and to all my fellow magical presenters of Christ!
Steve Templeton

www.HimpactIllusion.com
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Thanks for the background and ideas Steve. With all your research your VBS presentation should go very well.
By the way, last week while researching the fiery furnace in Daniel, I was pleased to learn that Daniel (also known as Belteshazzar) was "chief of magicians" NIV or "master magician" NLT.

Richard
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8300 Posts

Profile of harris
Speaking of Daniel-

Long

Here's an example of how to take scripture and turn it into vent bit.

It's about a Loyal and Trusted Servant Daniel..

(my lovely and creative wife, helped with re-writes..

Daniel and the Lion Den
Another Doctor of Laughology Ventriloquist lesson by
Harris Deutsch

Harris - Nigel tonight we are going to talk about Daniel ..

Nigel - (interrupting)...Oh I love that story..(singing) Daniel Boone was a MAAAAAN

Harris - Not that Daniel. We are talking about the man of God who interpreted dreams for a king...

Nigel- (interrupting) Elvis Presley – Thank YOU VERY

Harris (interrupting) Nigel Not Elvis. This Daniel was also thrown into the Lions Den.

Nigel – Oh

Harris - Daniel and 3 of his friends were captured by King Nebuchadnezzar

Nigel - His friends were Shaggy, Caddy Shack, and Winebeggo

Harris – No they were Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. The king was impressed with them that they were taught well and given great food to eat

Nigel – Oh they got to go to Mc’donalds

Harris – NO! They were given royal food

Nigel – Oh it was Burger KING

Harris – (give Nigel that look)…but Daniel would not eat the royal food or wine and ate nothing but vegetables and water

Nigel – Like my mom

Harris – WHAT

Nigel – She’s on that low carb diet

Harris –Anyway, One night the king Darius had a dream

Nigel –(excited) I HAD A DREAM about cake and icecream and toys and

Harris –NIGEL, one night the king had a terrible dream. He asked his astrologers to tell him the dream, but they couldn’t. The king threatened to cut them into little pieces if they could not tell what the dream was and interpret it, but they could not. So, Daniel was brought before the king.

Nigel – (trembling) but what if Daniel couldn’t do it

Harris –Well, Daniel asked for time, which Darius granted. He prayed to God for help and then went back to the King

Nigel- and then…and then…go on

Harris – Daniel was able to tell the King the dream & interpret it and the King fell to his knees, honored Daniel’s God and gave Daniel a great position.

Nigel – The new quarter back for the chiefs.

Harris.- After the reign of King Nebuchadnezzar and another king named Beshazzar, there was a king named Darius. The kings leaders and counselors were jealous of Daniel and tricked the king to make a law that no one pray to anyone else (including Daniel’s God) in prayer

Nigel – That wouldn’t stop Daniel. He is a loyal and trusted servant of God

Harris – That’s right Nigel. That night Daniel opened his window and prayed as he had done 3 times every day

Nigel – and then…and then

Harris – and then the king’s leaders told on Daniel
And Daniel was thrown into the Lions Den

Nigel – OH NO – Lions and Tigers and Bears - - Oh My

Harris –OK Nigel, These were very ferrocious lions

Nigel – From what I heard they must have been vegetarians

Harris – No

Nigel – Presbyterrians?

Harris – The lions were real & they were very hungry.

Nigel –(getting it) I know, I know.. before the king had the stone rolled it away from the den’s opening, he said to Daniel, May the God you serve come and rescue you.

Harris – Now you are remembering. The next morning the King went back and yelled DANIEL

Nigel – and Daniel said God sent an angel that kept the Lions mouth shut

And decreed that all the Kingdom shall honor the God of Daniel..The Living God

Song:
And he shall reign forever and ever And he shall reign forever and ever
King of kings forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah and lord of lords forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah King of kings forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah and lord of lords forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah King of kings forever and ever hallelujah hallelujah and lord of lords King of kings and lord of lords And he shall reign And he shall reign And he shall reign He shall reign And he shall reign forever and ever.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
stempleton
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Harris, that is great! I don't have any vent talents but that script is inspiring enough to dust off my Axtell drawing board. I recorded a track about Joshua several years ago. Might give it a go again soon. Very nice humor and writing...thanks for sharing (I promise not to steal it Smile )
Steve Templeton

www.HimpactIllusion.com
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

A very memorable and entertaining way to reinforce the story, Harris. Thanks for sharing.

Richard
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2086 Posts

Profile of John Long
If you are interested in books, you may want to check into some of Del Wilson's booklets:
12 Gospel Tricks series: Rope; Thumb Tip, impromptu..
and his 50 object lessons

or, Jim Todd's The Gospel in Ropes

These are decent booklets that are good if it fits your venue, yet, the routine ideas from earlier in this thread and other places on the Café are as good or better. I'd say the main difference is that you are getting presentational ideas on the Café; the books also give you the methods.

Then there is the venerable Spiritual Applications for Tarbell 1 & 2. I love the Tarbell series, but this add-on was rather disappointing. Yet, if someone is interested in checking them out, send me a PM

John
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2086 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2015, TheMightyRicardo wrote:
By the way, last week while researching the fiery furnace in Daniel, I was pleased to learn that Daniel (also known as Belteshazzar) was "chief of magicians" NIV or "master magician" NLT.

I would be cautious about equating yourself, or Daniel with a magician from the old testament.
I would think that most of those who were labeled as "magician" in the OT were either deceiving others about their powers for their own wrongful gain, involved in witchcraft, or potions/drugs (one of the root words from the OT that is translated as "magic"). A Christian should not be involved in any of these, and some will automatically make that association when you talk about or do "magic".

In regard to the specific biblical reference you alluded to, Dan 4:9, yes Daniel is referred to in that way by the king, but that does not mean that Daniel was involve in any of those associated practices. A commentary wrote about this passage:

"Nebuchadnezzar referred to Daniel as chief of the magicians, not because he was in authority over the wise men but because he was wiser than all of them, capable of understanding and interpreting dreams. The king implored Daniel to interpret his dream for him—Bible Knowledge Commentary"

I think the king saw Daniel as very capable, and could not otherwise understand where Daniel got his power/abilities, namely God.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Illustrating Stories from the Bible (2 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2015 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.191167 seconds, requiring 50 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [1] [4] [8] [0] [4] [9] [4] [9] [7]