The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Best Kids Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nat
View Profile
Elite user
427 Posts

Profile of Nat
Please help me select the children show opening and closing effects. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nat
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
453 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Often I will open with a routine I do with a gag bag. In the zipper part of the bag is one of those cards that open up several times into a big card at the end. I force the card that matches this to open the trick. I then say I already knew what you would pick and put it in my blue bag (or whatever the first bag color is). I pre-load each part of the gag bag with silly items (sponge carrots, bananas, ice cream cone, mushrooms, etc., fake hand, $50 spring load bills), or any other silly stuff I can think of. Each time I go into the bag I produce a silly item and then say, "oh no, I left it in my red bag", etc. etc. The gag bag allows 5 changes. The fold up card I use has gags on it also like one part of it has the 52 cards in one, another part says "your card", etc. You could always make up your own.
At any rate this routine takes 5 to 7 minutes, takes no skill so it's all showmanship, and has the kids laughing the whole time. It works for me.

Hope this helps
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
121 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
I try to open and close with my best material ... and put the live animal tricks first. So I open with a dove production and I close with 20th century silks - it's not my best magic but the routine gets the most laughs from kids and adults.
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Ok this is old but I thought I would chime in; I have had good luck opening with a "party popper" and saying "Let's get things started with a BANG!"
I also have started with a bright red silk hank to appearing cane; it's very visual and shocking to the kids, and they know they're about to see some MAGIC when they see that. I have heard that funny sponge ball routines are great opening routines, too. I mentally separate my "opener" which grabs the kids' attention, from my actual first opening routine.

To close, I have used a stage-filling Houdini Chain Escape that uses 5 volunteers plus me; four kids hold the corners of my "magic bag" where I secretly get out of the chain shackles, and 1 adult to lock me in and hold the key. It gets great reactions. The other big closer is my "invisible rabbit" production, followed by pictures with the rabbit still in the circus wagon and then a line for kids to come and pet the rabbit one at a time. Another great closer if you can find it is "Bigger Wands" by Creative Magic, with any quick visible trick like the appearing cane or a flower up sleeve bouquet production.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - Green's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Best Kids Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL