The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello - State of Mind (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hello everyone!

This project has been in the works for a while, and I am incredibly happy to finally announce it's release! State of Mind is a collection of psychological effects that approach real mind reading. Some of this work is genuine mind reading, achieved in a very surefire, organic way.

Here is a brief description of the contents:

Mental Bending - A participant is given a quarter to hold--or any metal coin--and you cause them to feel the coin change shape in their fist; altering and bending the person's mental image of what they're holding. I won't say anything more than that, but the routine takes a crazy twist at the end. I would prefer if purchasers were fairly vague about what happens in this routine, as there is no other psychokinetic metal plot like this on the market. This is not a coin bend. It comes across as the real thing, and I'm confident in saying that it's worth the price of this manuscript all on it's own.

The rest of the effects featured in this book are achieved through genuine psychological manipulation techniques.

The Line Test - A drawing prediction effect, presented under the guise of a psychological test--similar to an inkblot test.

Heritage - This is one approach to an impromptu name guess. A participant states the names of three women that are important to them, and imagines them standing in front of her. She focuses on one, and you are able to guess their relationship to her, i.e. mother/grandmother/etc, as well as figuring out their name. There are many different ways that this idea can be presented, allowing you to truly be in your spectator's heads for a few moments.

Instrumental - This progresses from the concept in Heritage, using it to guess what instrument a person may play. This can also be adapted to guess a person's past and current job profession, favorite color, what sport they may play, what kind of car they drive, and a myriad of other things. This concept opens the doors to real mind reading, revealing relevant and personal information.

A Subtle Afterthought - A subtle forcing technique that can be applied to a variety of effects.

The Hidden Temple - This is a method to know when a person is thinking of something. So the performer can call out any variety of items aloud, and is able to tell which item the spectator is thinking of.

Ideomaster - Thoughts on reading the ideomotor response and how to amplify one's sensitivity to it.

State of Mind is a 68 page PDF manuscript, and will be priced higher than many of my other releases, due to the nature of the content held within. It is my hope that the higher price will limit the spread of information, keeping this material contained to a tighter group of serious mentalists looking to learn techniques of mental manipulation.

State of Mind is available for $40 directly through myself via PayPal, sent to mattmello88@gmail.com

If anyone has any specific questions that you think may lead to exposure, please don't hesitate to get in touch privately.

Matt Mello

I would also like to send a big thank you to Steve Haresign and Brian Rodgers for their help in making the brain logo and the cover page, which can be found below...

Click here to view attached image.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
This is exciting. I'm a fan of your work because everything I have bought I have performed and will carry on performing.
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Iowa
716 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Can't wait.

I love The Imaginary Ball

So much fun.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Congrats, Matt. You have given us some really solid material and I intend to continue following your work.

All the best,

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Sounds like it will be a winner. How exciting! Smile

-Dustin
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thank you for the compliments, guys! Much appreciated!

Adding a bit to the above, I've recieved a couple of questions that I wanted to answer publicly. I should have mentioned that all of the effects are suitable for close-up performances, as well as being perfectly adaptable for a stage show. Nearly all of the pieces are impromptu, with the exception of 'Mental Bending', which requires a cheap, easy-to-make gimmick, and 'The Line Test', requiring a paper and writing utensil to make the drawing--which can be borrowed.

All of the other effects are performed with nothing but yourself and your spectator's imagination, using out of the box methods to discover information of which a person is thinking.

Matt
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Awesome Matt, the more I see of your work the more I appreciate how much of a creative force you are. Only recently discovered the Modern Mentalism series and wish I had found it sooner.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Always enjoyed your work.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I bought this and I've skinned it due to time. This is very good. Can't wait to sit down tonight and have a good read. Initial thoughts are the usual with Matts material, very good and workable. There's some very nice ideas and I'll leave an extended review soon.

Joel
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I was graciously given a review copy of State of Mind.

Those who know me probably know I am a huge fan of Matt's work. His simplicity is always the highlight of his effects and routines. I have almost every publication Matt has made to the community (if not every publication.) I have read them all... I have used many of them... this is by far his best work to date.

First of all, the routines explained within have no overlapping from his previous works. These are all routines that have been unreleased until now.

I will purposefully be as cryptic as possible when describing the routines. I will honestly say this: each routine feels like it's the real deal. More so than ever. Here are my thoughts on each of the routines individually.

Metal Bending:
Wow... this is stunning. It is such an original piece of mind numbing goodness. There has never been an effect quite like this one. The spectator experiences something truly weird and the audience has no clue how or why. This will leave everyone confused in the best way possible. The 'magic' happens in the mind. Good stuff. This does require a gimmick but it is very simple to make and use. It is 100% reliable.

I will DEFINITELY be making this up and using it. It's very out of the box thinking to create something entirely new that has never been done before. Kudos.

The Line Test:
This is where things start to get more psychological in their approach. This one isn't 100% but I can see it being quite consistent. It's a nice drawing duplication style routine. In this one however, the performer's drawing is handed to them prior to the spectator making a drawing. No gimmicks are used here, just a piece of paper and something to write with. Once again, this is a very creative idea which appears so innocent, yet proves to be more mischievous than it first appears. Nice work.

I will definitely be trying this out soon.

Heritage:
KILLER. Absolute KILLER. This is the golden routine of the bunch for me. The effect is precisely what Matt described above. Someone thinks of three people close to them and imagines them standing near by. You can immediately reveal the names and relationships. This is such an original and fresh approach to this concept. It is entirely propless and will be perceived as as close to real mind/person reading as you can possibly get. I have already performed this for a well respected Café member over skype and it absolutely fooled the pants off of him. He sat back in his chair laughing and clapping while saying some very explicit words. His remark was "How could you know? I didn't say anything!" Do not over look this one. It is simple and requires almost zero memory work, yet it is every bit as powerful as some of the harder effects I know. One of the reasons it hits so hard is because you are using the name of three people close to them. People you've never met and have no way of knowing. Yet, you appear to know way more than possible. Technically this isn't 100%, however it will be about 95% or more.

There are many alternatives to this routine in the additional section. In that sections Matt discloses a living and dead test that can be performed completely propless as well as a way to reveal a name freely thought of and never written down. GOOD STUFF.

I've already used this and will definitely use more in the future. It does require some guts to perform, but the pay off is well worth the minimal effort. I love this one.

Instrumental:
Matt gave a great description of this above. Someone can think of an instrument they play and just by having them imagine touching their instrument (not pretending to play it, literally just reaching out and touching the imaginary instrument) you can instantly tell them what instrument they play and/or are thinking of. This again is completely propless. This is essentially the concept of Heritage taken a step further. This can be used for multiple effects as it's really more of a principle than one single effect. Matt listed some of the other possibilities above. Once again, not 100% but easily 95% or more.

I will definitely use this. It's too good to pass up.

A Subtle Afterthought:
A way to force one item from a list using no props. I will have to try this out before I can comment further on it, but it seems like a sound method. This is psychological in approach, but with a strong backbone that will greatly increase the success rate.

Trying this one for sure.

The Hidden Temple:
How does Matt do this!? He consistently takes little things I've done for years and completely re-purposes them to be put to use in a much greater way. As Matt said above, the spectator thinks of an item (for instance, a color of the rainbow) and you are able to know which color they thought of. Propless yet again, and about 99% guaranteed to work. This is where Matt's out of the box thinking really amazes me. You ALL know this basic method, and yet none of you have EVER thought to use it in this way. This could be used as an effect in itself or as a way to get information which you use later. Great stuff.

Will I be trying it? You better believe it!

Ideomaster:
I have always sucked at muscle reading. I'm crap it. Every time I try, I fail miserably. Matt has provided subtle changes and thoughts which will bring the success rate of muscle reading up tremendously. He has given me the courage to go out and try muscle reading again. This little changes make all the difference.

I will do this very soon.

And that's the book! Please note that I am being 100% honest in my views. I cannot tell you the last time I read a book on mentalism and wanted to use every single piece. This is a rarity. There isn't a single routine that is worse than the others. They are all real world, hard hitting effects that feel as close to genuine mind reading as one can get. There's no dual reality that is seen in many books now days. Each effect is just as impressive for the person you're performing it for. These will play fantastically for a one-on-one impromptu situation, a small group performance, or even for a large audience on stage. This is packed full of workable routines you WILL use. I cannot recommend this enough. It is $40, and that is a shame. In someone else's hands, this book would be priced at $400 instead of $40. Yes, the material really is THAT good.

Since I will be using literally every single effect from the book, I cannot give this any lower than 10/10. It is perfection if I've ever seen it.

Do yourself a favor and buy this book. It may very well be the best mentalism release of 2015. It's certainly the best I've read so far.

Madison
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I didn't even read the description, lol. Ok, I did read it after I sent the money, lol
Matt Mello, Alien mindreader. He must be.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thank you for the review, Maddy! And thanks for your comments, guys!

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks about State of Mind. All of the feedback I've recieved from purchasers has been very positive so far. Psychological pieces can sometimes be hard to sell how reliably they work, but I'm happy to see that people are understanding just how functional this material is.
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of Isper
How much of the material is language dependent?
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hello Isper,

Thank you for bringing that up! These concepts work on principles that are non-language dependent, so will be easily adaptable to any language.

Matt
Ross Tayler
View Profile
Regular user
Rugby, England
127 Posts

Profile of Ross Tayler
As Maddy has already posted a piece-by-piece review, I shan't repeat his words.

Suffice to say I agree with everything said. Matt was generous enough to provide me with a review copy, also, and the book he has created is an absolute joy to read!

As someone with a keen interest in propless methods, I can honestly say that this is one of the best books on the subject I've seen. The effects are original in concept, and the methods are equally exciting. Not only that, but they have the rare gift of actually working, and doing so reliably.

Personal favourites would be: Heritage, Instrumental (especially the thoughts on turning this into real mind reading, which create something utterly insane!), The Hidden Temple and Ideomaster. The latter two items, in particular, really move the areas to which they relate forward in terms of efficacy and reliability. For me, a lot of contact/non-contact work has been too spectator-dependant to rely upon in performance (not that it's stopped me from trying!), and yet neither of these pieces have failed on me once, no matter how unresponsive my spectator (I've been testing Ideomaster heavily for the past week or so, and played with less reliable and less deceptive twists on Hidden Temple for some time, Matt's will now be the version I use).

This is first-class material from a true talent, and an incredibly generous guy. That brings me to my final point about this product: Matt had not told me what the price would be. Judging by the introductory comments, and the quality of the material, I'd assumed it would be exceptionally expensive. Yet, again, I have to agree with Maddy. In many hands, one would be lucky to find this kind of worth of material for quadruple or even octuple the price Matt is offering. I hate to sound like someone who's just googled "marketing catch-phrases", but I really do feel like he is giving this away.

I'd seriously advise people to grab this, were it not for my desire to keep this kind of work under wraps. Yet whilst I want to discourage you, I couldn't do so with a good conscience. People need to buy this, read this material and talk about this so that Matt can get the reward and credit he deserves. He's produced a fantastic work, and is providing it at a delightfully generous price. So get it. You will use its contents, and you will continue to do so long after reading the book.

Fantastic work, Matt.

Best wishes,

Ross.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thank you for your additional thoughts, Ross. I'm glad to hear that The Hidden Temple and Ideomaster are working so well for you!

Matt
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I performed ideomaster today.

It was a success!! Woohoo! My first successful muscle read. I like it. I'll be doing it again soon.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I don't know how Matt does it but the guy is awesome. Mental Bending and Heritage is nothing short of incredible. The only analysis needed is to appreciate the gift Matt brings us. Thanks Matt!!

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Just ordered.

It's Matt Mello, enough said.

Chris
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I have now performed ideomaster twice. Both times were a success. I also performed instrumental with great success. A Subtle Afterthought has been working GREAT. It really feels like you are totally inside of their head describing their every thought. I will be buying the necessary items for Mental Bending very soon to start performing it.

What can I say? This is so very great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello - State of Mind (59 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL