The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope to start with? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1343 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
I have recently seen Dan Fleshmans performance of Prof. Nightmare on the Live at the jailhouse dvd.
It was amazing. It was very basic though, I have seen it a lot by other magicians and it used the same good ol moves (invisible scissor, moving know, the standard Prof Night. Routine, etc)
I have this as a close up trick with very thin and short ropes. He however does perform it with very large (I don't know if they are actually large or just standard, however large in comparison to my version) ropes.
I would love to get them. What do I buy for this? Just a super large specific rope and then I cut it into pieces? If yes, which rope, what length, what diameter (if there are different sizes at all). And if I cut the ropes, how long do these 3 ropes have to be?

I hope you can help me out here.

Cheers,
Markus
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
You can get rope in different sizes or thicknesses. in europe = 6 mm / 8 mm / 10 mm / 12 mm

the lenght of the ropes depends on what you want. take a piece of rope / zig zag the rope (up down up) cut the rope at the up/down loop. now you have a middle piece and a long piece. cut from the long piece a short piece say: 10 or 12". you now have 3 pieces / short, medium & long which you can use for the prof. nightmare.

with this method you don't need exact measurements. this way you can pick up any lenght of rope and perform with it.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1343 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Thank you Robert. Any speficic rope recommended here (preferably from penguin magic, as I am about to place a big order there.

Regards,
Markus
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
644 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Check out the BTC ropes
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15412

There is no fixed lengths for the ropes, a tall guy may find a 3 foot medium rope just right, but might be too long for a shorter guy.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
seanksutton
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
I got my rope from here to use with fiber Optics by Richard Sanders: http://www.baroniantrading.com/Packets.html
I use the BTC 2 (10 mm cored). I also HIGHLY recommend Fiber Optics. It has A TON of material so your routine can be very unique. Richard also shows at what lengths to cut the rope for best results. And from the link above you can get 25 ft (more than enough) for $13.
Cogito ergo sum.
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
I also highly recommend fibre optics. I used 10mm rope from a hardware store and took out the middle core (There were 2 cores). It is visible from a distance for large or small venues.

Another Richard

Click here to view attached image.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1343 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
What do you guys think of 15mm in diameter for stage/palour use? Would it not a bit more visual then the 10mm rope?
Which diameter is Richard Sanders using?
Thank you very much everybody for the great input!

edit: What means "core"? The BTC is with and without core? And what is recommended? I am torn between 10mm and 15mm and then with or without core.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I've seen some good looking rope at fabric stores. I was thinking about buying some there.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
16094 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2015, Memory-Jah wrote:
edit: What means "core"? The BTC is with and without core? And what is recommended? I am torn between 10mm and 15mm and then with or without core.

Core, filler or center of rope to give it strength and body in fullness.

Without the core, the hope would be hollow.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1343 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:

Core, filler or center of rope to give it strength and body in fullness.

Without the core, the hope would be hollow.

WHat is better for Fiber Optics Routine, with a core or without?
And what do you suggest for diameter? 10mm or 15mm for stage/palour?

Thank you Bill
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
644 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I'm using BTC3, 10mm, no core.

I find 15mm too thick for PN/FO in my hands.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Take out part of the core for a rope that is round (not flat) but flexible.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Elite user
472 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Best rope I've found is "Daryl's Thick Rope". I searched for a long time to find that supple but not too floppy 'perfect' rope. Daryl has it for sale.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1343 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
What is the advantage of a rope with core over a rope without a core or vica versa? I want to perform Fiber Optics and Prof Nightmare. I am torn between BTC 2,3 & 4. I cannot decide.
In some older threads people said for Fiber Optics it is best to use 10mm with core (which is BTC 2). But a few people said that a coreless rope has the advantage to hide better a few moves...
And for 10mm vs 15mm. I am building a stage/palour act. Cruisship like venue, no huge room with 1000 people. Maybe 100-200? I cannot say exactly, hopwever not stage like like Copperfield or Burton. But not living room either. Is 15mm better here or just too thick to handle smoothly? Or in other words is 10mm still visible enough?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
3412 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
What do you guys think of 15mm in diameter for stage/palour use? Would it not a bit more visual then the 10mm rope?
Which diameter is Richard Sanders using?
Thank you very much everybody for the great input!

To follow up on Bill Hegbli's very well 'put' explanation, (and,I may be telling you more than you want or need to know!)

Most "magician's" rope is technically known as KERNMANTEL. That simply means that there is a "core" of strands (straight, not twisted) and a "sheath" of woven strands. When the rope is cored, what remains is the sheath, which is hollow. The rope will tend to flatten.

Some rope stretching (and other effects) depend on this principle. For some tricks, it is a matter of personal taste of the performer.

I prefer UNCORED rope--especially for knot bits. The uncored rope, to me, "works" better". "DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM"! (Concerning taste,we cannot argue!)

PS I do dome rope "juggling". My Norwegian YOYO, needs the weight of uncored rope. The one hand tying of an overhand knot ("shaking" a knot!) for me, works much better with uncored rope.

Hope this helps!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope to start with? (1 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2015 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.111927 seconds, requiring 58 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [1] [0] [8] [0] [8] [0] [7] [0] [6]