The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Thinking about a set routine (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
So I've been kicking this idea around for a while. I'm used to freestyling when table hopping and party strolling; I'm not a 3 sets of 3 kinda guy. This is also how I've been approaching my volunteering magic; I go room to room at a local children's hospital.

But lately for my hospital walk around I've been wanting to go in with a 15-20 minute set in each room I visit.

Partly, this is a way to "up my game" and make it a more polished presentation for the kids I visit. I'd like to create a flow of tricks and I'm also doing other tweaks like making my costume more colorful and outlandish so they have a more "visual" experience right from the start.

Another reason is I'd like to pack as much magic and laughter into my visit as possible. I recall visiting Williams Magic here in Tucson and how much fun it was When Emory Sr would just do trick after trick and gag after gag and I would leave there with a blown mind. I'd like to do that for my kids.

For those of you that volunteer in hospitals or other room to room situations, do you ever approach it in this manner?
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Well, I guess I'll be the pioneer of this method. Smile

I like where it's going so far; it's really coming together. I'll share more details as I progress, that way if anyone DOES want to try this for their volunteering they have a little insight going in.

Theodore-
Smile
Jan Schattling
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
89 Posts

Profile of Jan Schattling
I think you are right about this.
While working in such an invironment it is important to stand out as something special and completely different.
That way it might light up the life of people in hospitals.

I have seen magicians and entertainers in children hospitals and retirement homes but the best ones (or most liked ones) were always the "clowns" or funny dressed ones.
There where some that dressed like doctors or in their evening gowns but that might come over frightening so I think the more colourful the better.
As long as you feel comfortable wearing those.

As for the routine I think it is never bad to have a set routine one can get perfection in.
I really would like to read more about your progress.

Jan
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Lee Jun-fan
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Danke Jan!

I'll keep you posted!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
The issue I mostly ran into was how well the patient could respond. Sometimes medication or physical limitations hindered their involvement in the magic - either their physical participation or their mental capacity to follow what was happening. A scripted set of routines will still need to be fluid and adjustable.

Ed
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I agree Ed. I'm thinking of a modular routine. 1st effect will be short and powerful. That way I can judge reactions and go from there.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Yesterday's visit went great. I really like this approach. I used the day to get used to doing my set, kept it modular and chose an opener that I'm able to drop depending on the age of the child.

I open with Bunny Hop by Bob Solari and have modified it to use a regular chop set with the hat and some bunnies I get from Oriental Trading as giveaways. If the child is too old to appreciate a stuffed bunny gift I go into my second effect as the opener.

One thing I need to consider is magic for Spanish speaking children. I don't speak more than a few words of Spanish so I need to have a few things I can do silently. Got surprised by that one yesterday!

But this is working out great so far!
Jan Schattling
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
89 Posts

Profile of Jan Schattling
Good to hear that it worked out so well.
I am sure even though not everyone completely understood you talking, the visual transfered the magic. Smile
But yes, in an hospital it might come handy to have a few tricks not even for the foreigner but maybe also for the hearing impared.
Thumbs up for your work. Smile
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Lee Jun-fan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Thinking about a set routine (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL