The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » More than likely, today's useless question about coins... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
Should I practice with real silver dollars or with the steel fake ones? As in, Morgan silver dollars, or the knock-offs you can buy for less all over the place? I have easy access to real Morgan silver dollars for good prices in any grade from culls to uncirculated coins (I have many pals who are coin dealers locally) BUT they do cost way more than the steel ones. Anyone care to share what, if any, the differences are, other than price? Silver is great and all that, but a set of steel Morgans is as little as $18 for 10 coins (or $1.80 per coin), so the price difference is Very Substantial... Thoughts?
Houdonni
View Profile
New user
Vancouver BC Canada
58 Posts

Profile of Houdonni
You would be saving wear on your real Morgans, but the knock offs could be heavier and more difficult, ( or easy ), to manipulate, and you won't get that lovely ping sound that you get from actual silver.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I never understood why people used the fake ones, aside from absolute beginners or hobbyists. If you're serious about magic, I think your props should be authentic. Not to mention that wonderful sound that silver gets you as the post above me mentions.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On May 11, 2015, Zephury wrote:
I never understood why people used the fake ones, aside from absolute beginners or hobbyists. If you're serious about magic, I think your props should be authentic. Not to mention that wonderful sound that silver gets you as the post above me mentions.

Money is a real factor, Zeph. Real silver dollars can be expensive. And there are some excellent replicas that no lay person would ever be able to tell the difference - considering virtually no one but coin magicians and possibly collectors have seen, let alone handled real silver dollars.

Persoanlly I only own a half dozen real Morgan dollars! (Though I do own about a hundred silver half dollars, which is the coin size I use most often).

Jim
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Get a few fakes for $1.80 ea and work with them.
If you're fine with them then end of story as your specs will never know.
If you decide you would be happier with genuine silver coins (even just for personal or psychological reasons) then get silver coins when you can afford them or are able to justify the expense.

I was in a similar situation. For years I used Ike's but always longed for silver Morgan's. I just couldn't justify the expense of replacing all my Ike coins and gaffs when it wouldn't change the effects in the eyes of audiences. But one day I had an exceptionally good couple months so decided oh heck with it, I'm just going to treat myself, and so I did. I've never regretted it for a moment. But I also never regretted starting with the Ike's in order to make sure I was happy with the routines and that they would be workers for me. So it's okay to start low and work your way up. In fact, it's a smart way to do things.

I guess it's a little like buying a Mercedes when a Ford will get you where you need to go. In fact it's probably worse than that with coins because at least a nice car may be considered a status symbol. Very few people will be envious of your beautiful silver coins. Smile
But I sure feel better about them and I have come to truly believe that comes thru in my performances.
RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
Yes, more good feedback from all (thank you all!), I think I will pick up the cheapies just to see what they look like and then compare them to the real thing in person. Then I will contemplate whether or not my wife will give me the Dirt Nap if I spend more on some real ones...
Wish me luck :o)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » More than likely, today's useless question about coins... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL