The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Gypsy Thread Routine (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18552 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Presentation-wise, Ricky Jay beats them all.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5752 Posts

Profile of motown
Never seen his presentation Pete. What is his about?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
My favorite is Eugene Burger's Brahma Vishnu Shiva.
"I think it's clear that if we move people emotionally and have them experience our show on a visceral level they will have been entertained." Me

"When I was young I thought I was clever and could change the world. But now I am wise and instead changed MYSELF." Sudo Nimh
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Also Mr Burger says that "the figure 8 setup is the worst setup of all". He also says that "it will invariably lead to tangling".
"I think it's clear that if we move people emotionally and have them experience our show on a visceral level they will have been entertained." Me

"When I was young I thought I was clever and could change the world. But now I am wise and instead changed MYSELF." Sudo Nimh
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1356 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I cannot agree , regarding the tangling due to a figure 8 set up.
I learned this ages ago in a Lewis Hanson manuscript "Unconventional Magic" (?) and it is my preferred winding method.
I have used it since 1990 with as many as 6 shows per day... and it has tangled on me fewer than a dozen times during that entire interval.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1159 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I've only ever done Gypsy Floss. When I wind the thread, it goes around my middle finger about 10 times. Loops come off and gets pinched flat. Long bundle gets folded in half, wrapped twice in the middle, folded in half again, wrapped three times around and then smushed into a little ball.

I don't know if that is a figure eight setup, but I've never had a tangle using the above described method.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
~Albert Einstein
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7122 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2018, Pete Biro wrote:
Presentation-wise, Ricky Jay beats them all.

YES!!! Jay Marshall, and, I caught Ricky in a "blue jeans nite club" in Chicago in the'70s. He did two 45 minute sets, and, his Gypsy; Thread, was delightful!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
Cumming, GA
128 Posts

Profile of langston3711
I have to throw out a vote for Lonnie Chevrie's routine as well. I believe he calls it "Waxed" now but the Gypsy Floss is the only version I've ever done. Super easy, fooling, self contained and convenient. It can even be a practical everyday carry magic item because then you could also floss after every meal!
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2695 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Lewis Ganson. Not Lewis Hanson.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1708 Posts

Profile of 0pus
MMMBop
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1159 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
If memory serves, Gypsy Floss is what Tom Jones called it. I learned the routine from him at NEMCON years ago. If I remember correctly, he and Lonnie Chevrie independently created the gypsy thread routine using floss concurrently. I believe they talked and were satisfied that both had a similar bout of inspiration at around the same time and so they agreed that both would use it and sell it as they wished.

Quote:
On Feb 8, 2018, langston3711 wrote:
I have to throw out a vote for Lonnie Chevrie's routine as well. I believe he calls it "Waxed" now but the Gypsy Floss is the only version I've ever done. Super easy, fooling, self contained and convenient. It can even be a practical everyday carry magic item because then you could also floss after every meal!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
~Albert Einstein
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Kallix, yes, what you are doing is the figure 8 set up. I see that you are from Connecticut.... I will be doing my Gypsy Thread routine this year at NEMCON. If you are there, I think you will enjoy the presentation.
It is unlike any version extant. I look forward to meeting you !
Regards,
Jonathan Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1159 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I see that you are lecturing at NEMCON, in addition to performing. I look forward to seeing your routine. Hopefully it is one of the effects you plan on teaching as well. In either case, I will be at NEMCON and I look forward to meeting you too.

Oh, and thanks for the clarification on the figure eight setup. I didn't know that was what I was actually doing.

Quote:
On Feb 12, 2018, JNeal wrote:
Kallix, yes, what you are doing is the figure 8 set up. I see that you are from Connecticut.... I will be doing my Gypsy Thread routine this year at NEMCON. If you are there, I think you will enjoy the presentation.
It is unlike any version extant. I look forward to meeting you !
Regards,
Jonathan Neal
~Albert Einstein
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Kallix,, I don't plan on teaching my routine as the presentation is unique to me and would not fit another performer very well. But we will certainly have a chance to chat!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Is there a recommended floss brand? I decided to resurrect this for myself recently and got some waxed floss which was hardly waxed at all....wouldn't hold in a ball.

What brand do you floss fans use?
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
Cumming, GA
128 Posts

Profile of langston3711
I've always used REACH Unflavored Waxed Dental Floss. It's the brand I noticed Lonnie Chevrie was using in his Penguin Lecture.
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1159 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I have always used Johnson and Johnson's mint waxed dental floss and it works great for me. I believe that was the brand Tom Jones recommended.
~Albert Einstein
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

From the exposes in this thread I can now construct and perform Gypsy Floss. Thank you.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Gypsy Thread Routine (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL