The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Gypsy Thread Routine (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Outerbridge
View Profile
New user
Pointe Claire, QC Canada
6 Posts

Profile of Outerbridge
To avoid tangling I use a very "high tech" preset gimmick which involves part of a paperclip.
v.kapoor
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of v.kapoor
I have been using James Dickson's Aberdeen Thread found on Theory11. Still practicing, but he has some good ideas.
Chollet
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chollet
I'm with many others here: Waxed by Lonnie Chevrie. Been performing it for over 25 years and it never fails to get a great reaction. My wife is a dental hygienist so I have ample access to story patter and supplies Smile
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
73 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2018, Outerbridge wrote:
I am intrigued by the fact that the Gypsy Thread or Hindu Thread can be found in several books published in the 1500s including Reginald Scot’s Discoverie of Witchcraft (“To burne a thred, and to make it whole againe with the ashes thereof”) published in 1584. It has been around for a while and it has stood the test of time!

I saw Eugene Burger do this at Abracorndabra (May of 2017). Instead of tearing the thread, he would burn the thread into pieces, just as in Reginald Scot's work. This incidentally is a good solution to tearing the thread, which has always been problematic for me.

That is why I prefer the waxed dental floss versions, using the cutter on the wax dispenser. Also I like the floss because when you roll it up it stays rolled up.
countrymaven
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks for sharing. Eugene Burger was a class act, to burn it into pieces, as in Scot's work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Gypsy Thread Routine (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL