The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Mentalism as a busker? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Anyone have any thoughts on doing a trickle show using mentalism? Was thinking of doing some comedy readings to build a crowd before doing some larger mentalism pieces.. Any feedback is appreciated.
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I have done a memory show on the street and I learned it is important that you have visible things. a magician shows rings and rope. mentalism is in the mind. so make it visible so people become interessed. be entertainer first then a mentalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhQCRNy_6M
this booktest is a good example and would play good on the streets.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Street Performer - Kenneth Lightfoot he does mentalism.
As Robert has said he makes it very visible so it is possible, look him up.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
It seems using mentalism it would benefit newcomers who arrive late for you to give a review for them what they have missed out on. That depends on how long the routine runs for.
I suggest thinking of how you would deal with a quietly-spoken helper e.g. you repeat aloud what they say.

Not knowing what's going on [lack of something to look at, gaps in conversation] could see some people walking off.
The presentation makes the magic.
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
A little bit of research would do you good Smile www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.ph......forum=15

I already asked the same question a few months ago and had many different opinions. Following that I put a show together that worked IMO, but having begun busking 2 weeks ago in La Rochelle I realized a few important things. I'll PM you with the details!

Be sure to have read the basics in busking (there are many good in formations on the thread "What do you need to start busking?"), and... go out and try, it's the best way to see what lacks your show!

Good luck!
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
zentao
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of zentao
Hi Artemis17,

I would be interested to hear how your 2 weeks has gone - lessons learnt etc.

If you don't wish to share publicly would you mind pm'ing me?

Thanks in advacne.
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
I'll PM you tomorrow zentao, no problem.
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I busked yesterday and used a center tear a few times, it goes down really really well.
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
I Don't think its a good choice, especially starting out.

What you'll quickly learn (or not) is that while being amazing is good - that's not what its really about and that's not why they pay you.

People who actually street perform full-time will know what I mean.

I always hear Kenny Lightfoot brought up as an example and literally the only example of mentalism "working" on the street.

From what I've seen I have to agree with Robert above. Visual magic is better.

Also, mentalism makes people really think and picture yourself on vacation.....how much thinking do you prefer to do.

This is also coming from someone who's indoor, corporate, private, wedding reception, walkaround gigs contained roughly half mentalism.

Food for thought.

I think if anyone is actually serious about doing something for real they've already talked to or acquired a mentor. MY 2c
zentao
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of zentao
Thanks Artemis,

I look forward to hearing about your experience.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
You might consider doing psychic fairs, the nut is reasonable and your tip comes presold. Again you need something visible a crystal colorful table cover or an unusual poster all help.
There is plenty of reference out there, don't do magic ,it kills your credibility.
Table, two(only) chairs, use your easy-up if you have one.
You don't get rich but it's steady and a good way to get your feet wet.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2015, ringmaster wrote:
You might consider doing psychic fairs, the nut is reasonable and your tip comes presold. Again you need something visible a crystal colorful table cover or an unusual poster all help.
There is plenty of reference out there, don't do magic ,it kills your credibility.
Table, two(only) chairs, use your easy-up if you have one.
You don't get rich but it's steady and a good way to get your feet wet.

Thanks for your helpful and supportive post!

jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
[quote]On Aug 6, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cVTLvhsBrw ken. lightfoot [/quote
I like that.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Thank you for the link to Lightfoot's show. There is a lot I can learn from him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Mentalism as a busker? (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL