The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's Nightmare lengths (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicsecure
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
Whats a good size / length of rope for Professor's Nightmare. I have seen so many size variations what looks the best I had the trick as a kid but it was sold under another name. I just want to cut my own and I wanted some opinions first before I cut.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
6189 Posts

Profile of funsway
Depends on how tall you are. The ideal length of the longest section is from top of head to knee.

There are ways to cut the proper length "on the fly" and then the length is determined by other effect using the total length.

I would guess that most "sold effects" are based on a performer about 5'7"

Do you plan on doing the entire routine, or just part as in Columbini's "extra end" approaches? That can determine length also.

In my Necklacy Routine the rope is cut and stored four times along with other effects. At one point the rope is cut into three equal lengths ala PN on the fly,

but there is no stretching. One could perform some PN variations of desired depending on audience and setting. In this case the starting length is based on ALL of the effects to be performed and the PN length incidental.
"there is real merit in the magician who tries to be creative – from such endeavors magic sustains its life energy." Harold Rice

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at gusarimagic@comcast.net
Frank Starsini
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
12752 Posts

Profile of Frank Starsini
I use 2 different lengths and diameters.

For strolling I use the smaller diameter and shorter lengths.
For stage I use larger diameter and much longer lengths.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic

Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
3784 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In my humble OPINION (i.e. IMHO)and, you asked for opinions. Since you "had" the trick as a kid, you should know the principle. So, why are you asking for the technical information?

The secret forum is the place where this information can be, and, is, discussed. In less than 3 weeks you have somehow accumulated 41 posts. Yet, also IMHO, you have contributed virtually nothing for the "good of the order". Anyone who cares to, can check your profile to read the posts you have made in the last 25 days.

I cannot speak for funsway or Frank, both of whom contributed a carefully worded statement, without tipping the gaff.

You apparently bought a knock off of Bob Carver's trick. You are correct. It has been sold as "My 'Favorite Rope Trick", the "Equal/Unequal Ropes" and the "Professor' Nightmare". It is still for sale at many dealers.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
521 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I do it as part of Pop Haydn's "Mongolian Pop Knot" routine, so I start with one length that's about THIS long, then cut it as the trick plays out.

If you had it as a kid and know how it works, rope is cheap--get some and cut it and see what looks best to you.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Whit Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel Boggs
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
Just becasue I know how its done and had the tick means nothing to know the proper length of rope thanks all for the input.
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
But I do mean it guys thanks for your info. I'm looking to build a good rope/ring routine I have just purchased the walking knot as well
Frank Starsini
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
12752 Posts

Profile of Frank Starsini
You could just buy a set from a reputable magic dealer for cheap. then you'll have a guide for how long
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic

Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
For me the key is the long rope. I bought a set one time, that was maybe for kids? The long rope was pretty short. When I cut my own set, the medium rope is the length of the long one in the other set. I gave the short set to my very small 12 year old nephew and it seemed to be a great length for him.

I find it better to have a fairly long set, it just seems to get better reactions. and if they are too short you have to play the whole thing too close. I just can't let it too long or the short rope is too long to be manageable for things like Richard Sanders Fiber Optics... And I never do just Professor's Nightmare anymore, I always include some Fiber Optics. It is too much fun to leave out.

Rope is cheap. Even "magician's rope". Go to your local hardware store and buy some really cheap rope and cut a few lengths and play with it. See what size works for you. I like Funsway's suggestion of head to knee. I have not read that one before - but that is about the length I cut for mine - just worked out that it felt right for me.
murf
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, TX
191 Posts

Profile of murf
I make the long one "head to toe" length, and the short one "thumb tip to pinky tip of the outstretched hand" length. I think those may be Daryl's recommendations. Basically, it should be whatever you're comfortable with, and what works for YOU.

Murf
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1051 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
If you know the trick all you have to do to find the correct ratios is to hold the ropes as when you are about to show all three ropes as being equal. If you have the ratios right "all three" ropes should be level with each other when held in that position. As far as the lengths of the individual ropes it's up to you and whether you're performing at tables or in front of a group that can see your whole body like on a platform or stage. Try not to make the long rope longer than you are tall. It should be at least a foot or two shorter than you are tall, then knowing the ratios of the ropes you can figure out the appropriate lengths from there. The middle size rope length is determined by the length of the large and little ropes.
Hopefully that makes sense to you. It's as close as I can describe the ratios and lengths without spelling out how the trick is done.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
5164 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like my long rope to be around 5 foot in length.
Todd
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
885 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
It's kind of like Goldlilocks, "Not too short and not too long." If the short rope is really short then it is difficult to pick up for the stretching move. If the long rope is too long (Eg. Francis Tabary long rope length) then the short rope is difficult to work with. Start by making the short rope about 12 inches long and work from there. The suggestion above to make the long rope as long as from the top of your head to the knee is good advice, but it can be slightly longer. Longer ropes mean longer stretching phase and, in my opinion, look more elegant. They are also more visible.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18316 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Perfect way to figure and cut correct lengths is in my book, Give a Magician Enough Rope."
$15.00 Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bigfoot
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I have found the perfect length is twice the length from the center to one end. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's Nightmare lengths (2 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2015 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.087881 seconds, requiring 52 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [1] [4] [7] [6] [2] [8] [7] [3] [3]