We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » The Mark by John Murray Question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I have a question pertaining to The Mark by John Murray. However, as not to reveal anything in a open forum, please pm me and I will respond to it with my question. Thanks to everyone for possibly responding.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Got my question answered. Thanks to everyone for looking. In the For sale or Trade forum, I posted my request for a quarter version of The Mark. If you have one, please send me a pm. Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3354 Posts

Profile of videoman
Glad you got your question answered.
I'm curious why you want the quarter version?
I'd like to find one also but that is for my collection.

As far as the trick, it makes sense to use a fairly less common coin such as half dollar. It being physically larger makes it a little easier to see, plus it is justified in the routine as being a special coin that has meaning to you. Also, I think it just may make more sense that you would have a half dollar on your keychain.
This is one of those routines where my preference is to use a non-everyday coin.
But perhaps you want a quarter for different reasons and that's cool. My point was simply if you're desiring a more common coin for the trick it's not really necessary and some could even see it as detrimental. I believe that may be one reason why they stopped producing the quarter version.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Looking for the quarter version as it would fit in with other routines that also uses a quarter. It would round out mt set perfectly. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26764 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2015, nonvpro wrote:
Looking for the quarter version as it would fit in with other routines that also uses a quarter. It would round out mt set perfectly. Smile

Ask the guys who make stuff... After you ask the guy who put the trick on the market.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2313 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I was considering purchasing this effect. I was curious if the coin that ends up on the key chain at the end of the effect is completely normal? Thanks.

-Paul
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1392 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2017, Paul Rathbun wrote:
I was considering purchasing this effect. I was curious if the coin that ends up on the key chain at the end of the effect is completely normal? Thanks.

-Paul

Well, it can be handed out.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3354 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2017, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2017, Paul Rathbun wrote:

-Paul

Well, it can be handed out.

But they can't keep it! Smile
After all, it is your special coin.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Let's just say that they can examine the coin in the keychain, but you probably don't want them taking it out of the keychain.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
4203 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:
Let's just say that they can examine the coin in the keychain, but you probably don't want them taking it out of the keychain.

It is made to be taken out. There is nothing stopping it from being examined at that point. You just wouldn't want it give it away.
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

True, but no more than you'd want to let someone look closely at a Scotch & Soda. Normally I'd switch it away quickly, but it's not really possible when it's signed. Thus my comment.
But in the keychain it's much more secretive.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1068 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Can anybody help me. Is The Mark available in British currency?
SOLITUDE - HEAD TRICKS - InCAANtation - CALIBRATE - FORESEEN - THE TRIX - VOLITION - TRIVEAL - ZODIAC IN MIND - CODE BREAK - STRATAGEM - FIREFLY - ONE IN SIX - HOROSECRETS - MIND BLASTERS 2 - WHAT THEY EYE CAN'T SEE
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

I do not believe it is, or at least I've never seen another version.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
I came across this thread more by accident than anything else but it's certainly got my attension.

Obviously being from the UK I would have to come up with a presentation as to why I'm using a half dollar which isn't a problem.

When using a marker to get the coin initialed etc is there a certain pen that's better to use than others as obviously you don't want the writting to smudge but at the same time you'll need to be able to wife the initials off ?

Also what is the reset like on this ie can it be easily and quickly done whilst moving from group to group or do I need to hide in the corner etc ?

Finally how well made is the fob that the coin ends up in, meaning is it likely to break if someone dropped it etc ?

Thanks
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

So the trick with sharpies is that if you write over them with a whiteboard marker, you can then wipe it right off. https://lifehacker.com/176015/erase-perm......se-board
So no need to figure out a new pen, just carry around the second, and you'll be fine.

The keychain isn't extremely fancy, but it's sturdy enough. Because of the construction, you can use it as a bang ring, which makes reset significantly simpler/faster. It's then extremely fast, but you will still have to remove the signature, which will take a moment or two. You could certainly do it while moving from group to group. It might seem a tad unusual if someone sees you, but isn't revealing in any way.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3354 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree with tons that it can be done walkaround, however I think you will find it to be a bit of a pain to do so. If it becomes one of your favorite effects then it could be worth it but my hunch would be that most strolling performers would prefer not doing it at every (or most) tables and only do it every so often.

It may also depend somewhat on the "tightness" of your gaff. Mine is very tight so removing it is perhaps more difficult than others. If I were going to do this walkaround I would probably carefully loosen my gaff just a hair to facilitate a quicker and easier reset. But for my only ocassional use of it I am happy with it as it is.

Re: the signature, in the tutorial video Paul Richards does suggest using a sticker to write on and suggests it doesn't greatly reduce the impact so you may wish to consider that. It would certainly make it easier to reset. Plus, regardless of how careful I am I can never seem to wipe off ink without eventually winding up with some on my fingers which I really dislike.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the input it's much appreciated, I was originally thinking of using this in meet and greet situations rather than tables, but as I already have some very strong coin routines that instantly reset perhaps this isn't the best for that envoironment.

Thanks again.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2815 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I liked Paul Richards routine, explanation and tips on this effect when Elmwood was making them. Now that Penguin has taken over, if you buy it from them you also get a download by Magik Balay, who seems to have a lot of experience with and enthusiasm for the effect. His routine is structured a little differently than Richards' was, and he has some great tips on getting in and out of the routine, reset, etc. Worth a look, IMO.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5206 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I use a regular Sharpie for writing on the coin, and then simply use an alcohol wipe to remove the writing afterwards. You can purchase a box of 200 alcohol wipes at Amazon for $5 or $6.

Jim
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

I'm sometimes a bit sad by the resale market. I bought a copy of The Mark a while back, but it only came with the DVD. I'm sure it was originally from Penguin, but I bet there's no way for me to see Magick's additions to the routine without buying a brand new set. And the original owner gets access to it, but will probably never watch it. :sigh:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » The Mark by John Murray Question (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL