The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » McDonalds to start paying $15 - $20 minimum wage any day now (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..30~31~32 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
LOL. Actually, their overall sales will probably go up.

I trust that you recognized the callback to the Amazon/Ebay thread, no?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
I love how the right-wingers keep spreading around nonsense about the so-called Obama phone. The Lifeline program (its actual name) was started under Reagan and was expanded to cell phones under GW Bush.

Why not cite actual facts instead of what "a friend" told you?

And you are aware that flat screen TVs are ridiculously cheap these days, right?

When does the racial stereotyping stop? (Yes, we all know what "in the projects" means.)

Exactly. And to address Ace's post regarding TVs, I just did a quick browse on Walmart's site, and assuming that anything 50 inches and above would be considered "large", the prices ranged from $349 on the low end for 50 inches to $1,397 for a 70 inch TV. Furthermore, some of the mid-range TVs (32 up to 40-something inches) were also priced in the $400 - $600 range! There was a 32 inch TV for $589! So should someone pay $589 for a 32 inch TV when they can get a 50 or 60 inch for the same (or less) price?? So although it's true that the less fortunate should set priorities, there's probably too much being made of TV size. There's just too much variation in prices to draw any conclusion about someone's motivations based on TV size. But even if they did splurge a little bit, maybe that's compensated by the fact that they're not doing other things, like going on expensive vacations, eating at fancy restaurants several times a week, or buying pricey cars, etc.

Ron

Don't talk crazy. They should huddle in a dark, damp corner under a single, tattered blanket and BE THANKFUL!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
That reminds me: we gotta get a flat screen TV one of these days.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
I love how the right-wingers keep spreading around nonsense about the so-called Obama phone. The Lifeline program (its actual name) was started under Reagan and was expanded to cell phones under GW Bush.

And you are aware that flat screen TVs are ridiculously cheap these days, right?

When does the racial stereotyping stop? (Yes, we all know what "in the projects" means.)

Exactly. And to address Ace's post regarding TVs, I just did a quick browse on Walmart's site, and assuming that anything 50 inches and above would be considered "large", the prices ranged from $349 on the low end for 50 inches to $1,397 for a 70 inch TV. Furthermore, some of the mid-range TVs (32 up to 40-something inches) were also priced in the $400 - $600 range! There was a 32 inch TV for $589! So should someone pay $589 for a 32 inch TV when they can get a 50 or 60 inch for the same (or less) price?? So although it's true that the less fortunate should set priorities, there's probably too much being made of TV size. There's just too much variation in prices to draw any conclusion about someone's motivations based on TV size. But even if they did splurge a little bit, maybe that's compensated by the fact that they're not doing other things, like going on expensive vacations, eating at fancy restaurants several times a week, or buying pricey cars, etc.

Ron

Don't talk crazy. They should huddle in a dark, damp corner under a single, tattered blanket and BE THANKFUL!

You are so wrong. All they have to do is wait for McDonalds to start paying them $20 an hour. Smile Which is what we are actually discussing here.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
LOL. Actually, their overall sales will probably go up.

I trust that you recognized the callback to the Amazon/Ebay thread, no?

Yes. That's whose sales I'm referring to. In other words I don't believe that their overall sales will be affected negatively as a result of discontinuing Confederate merchandise.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, acesover wrote:

You are so wrong. All they have to do is wait for McDonalds to start paying them $20 an hour. Smile Which is what we are actually discussing here.

There's that all-inclusive "they" again. Who are "they" aces. Those black folks in the projects?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:

I am convinced the reason so much of it is so bad is that I have the wrong TV.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:

There's that all-inclusive "they" again. Who are "they" aces. Those black folks in the projects?

They is a subset of them. Try to keep up.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Are all "theys" "them," then? Smile And if so, who are "those" folks?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

I am convinced the reason so much of it is so bad is that I have the wrong TV.

The movies have proven this to be true. The louder the sound and the larger the screen, the less likely you are to notice that the story is lousy.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
If there was anything on TV, there'd be less action at the Magic Café.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:

Well if you read the gentleman's post referring to this you would know who "they" are. However you are off on your usual liberal rant. Here is his post to refereh your memory. Please comment on the "they" if you wish.

________________________________________________POST BELOW________________________________________________________

And they do! Proof- a long life friend of mine works for Verizon. I called him about two weeks after he started to see how he liked it. I called him during the day when he was working. I asked him, "So how do you like it?" He replied, "I like it! But guess what I am doing now?" He continued, "We are passing out free Obama phones to people that live in the projects. And the kicker is- I walk into their homes which are a mess- but yet you wouldn't believe that ALL the homes manage to have a Huge flat screen TV and a gaming system attached to it for the kids".

Knock yourself out Bob.
Unreal! No people- it's real!
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
THEY will lose a fortune if they raise pay to $15-$20 for an entry level position. Still watching Seattle lose businesses left and right.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
NPR on Seattle's minimum wage requirements.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015......mum-wage

The high end restruants are in a better position to adjust. Those that cater to the average joe on a budget might find their clientele unsupportive of price increases.

Reminds me of Newton's third law of motion: For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction.
The opposite reaction is what economist refer to the law of unintended consequenses.
Bob
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:

Yes- sorry about that Bob- you are correct about the phone! But to say flat screens are ridiculously cheap????? LOL... Yea- a 60 inch is between $600 to $800! I work fulltime and so does my wife- but with three kids we couldn't afford one! The TV's my friend witnessed in just about every home were no 32 inch! It was the big one. So if you think I am racial stereotyping because I don't think people who don't work and live off of assistance provided by me and other working Americans- than you are darn right I am racial stereotyping!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I remember going to a seminar one time and the speaker asked the room, "should everyone be treated the same?". Of course, all the liberals readily agreed, yes, of course! His answer.....NO! You treat people the way they deserve to be treated. Why would you treat your best worker, who works hard, comes to work on time and does a great service the same as you would a lousey worker, who is always late and who is a detriment to your service? It is disrespectful to the hard worker and giving a handout to the bad worker. I work for the state. We ALL get the same raise each year, regardless of performance. It breeds incompetance and mediocrity.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
So, since you're so incensed at that system, are you going to quit, and look for a job in the private sector?

There's always McDonald's and Wal*Mart if you, like millions of others, can't find something suitable...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2015, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I remember going to a seminar one time and the speaker asked the room, "should everyone be treated the same?". Of course, all the liberals readily agreed, yes, of course! His answer.....NO! You treat people the way they deserve to be treated. Why would you treat your best worker, who works hard, comes to work on time and does a great service the same as you would a lousey worker, who is always late and who is a detriment to your service? It is disrespectful to the hard worker and giving a handout to the bad worker. I work for the state. We ALL get the same raise each year, regardless of performance. It breeds incompetance and mediocrity.

Sounds like the left backed Union. Equality at it's best!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2015, landmark wrote:
So, since you're so incensed at that system, are you going to quit, and look for a job in the private sector?

There's always McDonald's and Wal*Mart if you, like millions of others, can't find something suitable...

Wow Landmark. Your statement makes it sound like America is still in a Recession. I thought we were out of the Recession and things are booming? Huh.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Aces- how do you know that gaming system wasn't a gift from a relative, who maybe saved up for months to afford it? Or would you rather those poor kids were playing at home, or on the streets getting into trouble?

Reminds me of the story of the autistic kid in a section 8 family who's brother saved for months to buy him a game boy, and when the neighbor saw it, he yelled at the autistic kid for wasting money on toys. Which caused the poor kid to withdraw again. Don't criticize unless you know the whole story, maybe?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » McDonalds to start paying $15 - $20 minimum wage any day now (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL