The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Screen Test by Steve Dimmer (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
I am continually surprised by the amount of time and effort someone , who “does not” like an effect will put in to trying to change the minds of those who do.
Unfortunately Tarik seems to have an opinion on a lot of Alakazam releases (usually negative in one way or another) but I would never expect everyone to like “every” effect we put out.

At Alakazam we work very hard to ensure every item we release is a worker. We do not knowingly mislead in trailers or ad copy. Alakazam do not release YouTube only magic. I hope that anyone who purchases an Alakazam product has either got a good idea of what the method is (because of the trailer and or ad copy and lets be fair we are all magicians so if we are given a fair trailer we will be seldom fooled) and feels it will fit their act or likes the effect and is confident that because it is an Alakazam effect the method will be workable and solid.
Also we can never forget that some people buy tricks because they are fooled by the method and others buy them because they like the effect (whether they know the method or not).
Lets take for example Along For The Ride. I would expect many of you will know exactly what’s going on just by watching the trailer and yet it’s been selling like hot cakes, why? Because those who know the method see value in the effect and can instantly see the impact this will have on a spectator.

Over the years I have consulted for TV and this type of thing happens a lot.. On one occasion we were brainstorming some mind reading/prediction effects. In the production meeting I performed an effect using borrowed coins from the production crew. At the end of the effect they were truly amazed and obviously clueless to the method. Everyone was saying what I had just achieved was as close to real mind reading as it gets (remember these are lay people and they would say the same to any effect they do not know the method for) BUT as soon as I explained the method they immediately said “Well that’s really obvious, we’ll never get away with that” totally forgetting that just 5 minutes ago I had got away with it and it certainly was not obvious to any of them. Unfortunately if you are a performer “Thinking Like A Magician” will stop you performing some amazing effects. Just look at the response Jamie Raven got from Cardtoon. Now lets be honest who would have gone on BGT and performed Cardtoon? Not many I suspect.

With all that said Screen Test is a very workable effect with a solid method. Will it suit everyone? No, but no trick ever will.

Sincerely

Peter Nardi
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2015, Peter Nardi wrote:
Over the years I have consulted for TV and this type of thing happens a lot.. On one occasion we were brainstorming some mind reading/prediction effects. In the production meeting I performed an effect using borrowed coins from the production crew. At the end of the effect they were truly amazed and obviously clueless to the method. Everyone was saying what I had just achieved was as close to real mind reading as it gets (remember these are lay people and they would say the same to any effect they do not know the method for) BUT as soon as I explained the method they immediately said “Well that’s really obvious, we’ll never get away with that” totally forgetting that just 5 minutes ago I had got away with it and it certainly was not obvious to any of them. Unfortunately if you are a performer “Thinking Like A Magician” will stop you performing some amazing effects.

Great story and a good reminder not to judge a trick by its appeal to magicians or knowing the workings. The least important criteria in my opinion.
koreancanuck
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
60 Posts

Profile of koreancanuck
I can relate. I've fallen into that mindset "thinking like a magician" too often. At first, there were some great effects that I didn't do to spectators because I thought the method would be too obvious. But when I finally did it to them, they were floored! You just have to go out and work it, and see what happens.

Quote:
On Oct 5, 2015, Peter Nardi wrote:
Over the years I have consulted for TV and this type of thing happens a lot.. On one occasion we were brainstorming some mind reading/prediction effects. In the production meeting I performed an effect using borrowed coins from the production crew. At the end of the effect they were truly amazed and obviously clueless to the method. Everyone was saying what I had just achieved was as close to real mind reading as it gets (remember these are lay people and they would say the same to any effect they do not know the method for) BUT as soon as I explained the method they immediately said “Well that’s really obvious, we’ll never get away with that” totally forgetting that just 5 minutes ago I had got away with it and it certainly was not obvious to any of them. Unfortunately if you are a performer “Thinking Like A Magician” will stop you performing some amazing effects. Just look at the response Jamie Raven got from Cardtoon. Now lets be honest who would have gone on BGT and performed Cardtoon? Not many I suspect.

With all that said Screen Test is a very workable effect with a solid method. Will it suit everyone? No, but no trick ever will.

Sincerely

Peter Nardi
Youtube @koreancanuck
Instagram @thekoreancanuck
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Steve Dimmer also showed me a bond version which he uses and my good friend and top class mentalist Ran Gafner also independently created a beyond version after playing with Screen Test.

Regards

Peter
koreancanuck
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
60 Posts

Profile of koreancanuck
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2015, Peter Nardi wrote:
Steve Dimmer also showed me a bond version which he uses and my good friend and top class mentalist Ran Gafner also independently created a beyond version after playing with Screen Test.

Regards

Peter

That version sounds interesting. Smile
Youtube @koreancanuck
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Lars,

We are working on the bond version (we already have the crib from Steve & Ran but I'm looking at adding some additional features.

Regards

Peter
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Lost my set during a gig!!

was going to re-purchase (yes it's that good). But I'll wait and pick up the Bond collection.

Do you have a realise date Peter??
koreancanuck
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
60 Posts

Profile of koreancanuck
Sorry to hear you lost it. But I would re order too, if I'd lost mine. Also interested in the 'Bond' collection and a release date.
Youtube @koreancanuck
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
We are expecting to release it early next year.

Regards

Peter
koreancanuck
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
60 Posts

Profile of koreancanuck
Thanks for the update. Smile
Youtube @koreancanuck
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2015, Peter Nardi wrote:
We are expecting to release it early next year.

Regards

Peter

Peter, I watched your latest Vlog yesterday, and you showed us the new poker size version and the new "action film" version. Did you substitute this for the "Bond" version.

(And Peter, off topic, I have sent you a PM on Facebook, and also a message with one of my orders, about joining the Ghost Pad FB Group, when I had to purchase the GP from The Card Collection at a time when it was out of stock at Alakazam)
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
The last Alakazam Vlog got me interested in Screen Test Pocket, but since I'm not in an English-speaking country, I was wondering what is meant by "Even though screen test is printed for English speaking countries once you know the cheeky method you will be able to adapt the method to any language." Does this mean I would need to make up different cards, or can I use the provided cards?
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
You can use the provided cards , just that you can derive the card chosen using the method taught but in your own language .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Martin Waring
View Profile
Loyal user
York, England
255 Posts

Profile of Martin Waring
I now have both the original Screen Test and the new pocket sized Action Pack set. The method for the Action Pack is very similar in that I was able to deduce it by looking at the cards without having to watch the DVD.

I absolutely love performing this trick and in dozens of outings have only had the method discovered once due to poor audience management on my part. I left the cards on the table where someone grabbed them and started going through them all and some smart cookie divined the method. Lesson learned.

With these pocket size cards it is simple to pocket the rest of the cards after the effect where people are less likely to make a grab for them!

Having both sets makes it less risky to perform this twice to the same group so I'm very happy to have both the large and small versions with different films.
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Do you prefer the Action Pack or the Classic Pack (original Screen Test) as for the selection of movies?
koreancanuck
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
60 Posts

Profile of koreancanuck
I love the new selection of movies in the action pack. All very well known Hollywood hits. The classic pack is also on the way for me as well. Peter Nardi came up with all sorts of interesting routines for the mega pack that you can perform along with the standard method. Looking forward to working this.
Youtube @koreancanuck
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Purchased both sets of the poker size at Blackpool having used the original version since it was released. The poker size cards make this a lot more usable for me and it's a great trick, however I'm disappointed in the finish of the cards. The poker size cards (at least the ones I have ) are impossible to spread evenly resulting in the cards spreading in large clumps and a spectator would find it very difficult to spread through and look at the cards. The original cards had a much better finish and spread beautifully.
Has anyone else had this issue or have I just got a bad set.
Still love the effect though.
westo
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of westo
The cards become more manageable if you shuffle and deal them for a while...I don't spread them anyway, just deal through them in my hands.
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Guy’s

If you own either of the Screen Test Pockets I’ve got some great news. I have just filmed two brand new killer routines for you. Just log in to your Alakazam account and start learning them now!
Also there is a very special announcement for owners of Screen Test and Screen Test Pocket so please make sure you watch it, you will be very glad you did!
Thank you all for your continued support and I hope you like the new effects!

Peter Nardi
koreancanuck
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
60 Posts

Profile of koreancanuck
I just watched them. The new routines are great! Thanks.

Quote:
On Apr 19, 2016, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guy’s

If you own either of the Screen Test Pockets I’ve got some great news. I have just filmed two brand new killer routines for you. Just log in to your Alakazam account and start learning them now!
Also there is a very special announcement for owners of Screen Test and Screen Test Pocket so please make sure you watch it, you will be very glad you did!
Thank you all for your continued support and I hope you like the new effects!

Peter Nardi
Youtube @koreancanuck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Screen Test by Steve Dimmer (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL