The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Pit Hartling's New Book - In Order To Amaze (119 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On May 9, 2016, ferryascanio wrote:
The book release already? where can I get it?

Try reading this thread.

The book's website is linked in the very first post in this thread, among other posts.

Or try googling the author and title.

If these things are too hard for you to do without help, then working with a memorized deck may not be for you.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
So how do I get the book?
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Martin_Eisele
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Martin_Eisele
The Poker Formulas - iPhone App now available!

I’m happy to announce, that a couple of days ago I have released my first app for the iPhone. It is based on Pit Hartling’s effect ‘The Poker Formulas’.
The app can handle different stacks, has several optimization switches and does not need an internet connection.

I also added some very nice features, with which it makes absolutely sense to use the iPhone/iPad for the presentation of the effect.
The app can be found in the iTunes App-Store under the name ‘SD Poker’. (I chose a dfferent name, so that in case the spectator sees the App-Name, there is no connection to 'formulas').
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sd-poker/id1099492468

If you have any wishes / ideas, please let me know.

All the best from Germany
Martin
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Quote:
On May 26, 2016, Martin_Eisele wrote:
The Poker Formulas - iPhone App now available!

I’m happy to announce, that a couple of days ago I have released my first app for the iPhone. It is based on Pit Hartling’s effect ‘The Poker Formulas’.
The app can handle different stacks, has several optimization switches and does not need an internet connection.

I also added some very nice features, with which it makes absolutely sense to use the iPhone/iPad for the presentation of the effect.
The app can be found in the iTunes App-Store under the name ‘SD Poker’. (I chose a dfferent name, so that in case the spectator sees the App-Name, there is no connection to 'formulas').
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sd-poker/id1099492468

If you have any wishes / ideas, please let me know.

All the best from Germany
Martin

Awesome, thanks!

Best,
Jed
Olivier7
View Profile
New user
London
60 Posts

Profile of Olivier7
Hi Martin,

Congratulations for your iPhone app.

Are you planning to release an Android version?

Cheers,

Olivier
jmbulg
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
208 Posts

Profile of jmbulg
Would it be possible to include in the stealth mode the first information (where to c**) to another smartphone ? This would help making the first adjustment even before the effect really begins and the heat is on the packet. Since you anyway will know later their choice they have no reason to suspect that some information has been already tranmitted ...
Martin_Eisele
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Martin_Eisele
Hi,

thank you very much for the nice feedbacks - I'm happy that you enjoy the app so far!
Regarding the questions:

1) Android:
I have gotten several requests for that. To be serious. I don't know yet. The development of the app has two stages. First the development of the core (which I basically already had since several years) and in the second stage, the development of the User-Interface. This took me almost longer than the development of the "core code". Android and iOS do not share any standards when it comes to the User-Interface, so almost nothing of this code could be used for the Android version. If I find some time, I will look into that, but I can't make any promises!

2) Secret transmission:
At the moment my idea is to transmitt the information to either an Apple Watch oder to a website, where you can connect with any other device to. I have not thought this completly through neither do I know, when I find time to develop this update. As soon there will be something new, I will post it here!

Take care and have fun with the app!
Martin
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Have you contacted Pit before releasing this app ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Martin was the one who worked with Pit to work out the formulas in the first place, which you would know if you read the book, I was with Pit over the weekend for a workshop and he mentioned this app and Martin's help in glowing terms.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
Zipposrsa
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Zipposrsa
Just a short note to add to this topic. I have been using Juan Tamariz Mnemonic stack for a while and together with his wonderful book and using the app Mnemonicosis I found learning the stack fairly straightforward. Asi Winds ACAAN is amazing and learning how to determine bottom card for ACAAN does require a bit of mental gymnastics when under performing pressure.

When I received Pit's book I was expecting a lot, and BOY I was not let down.

"In Order To Amaze" is a wonderful book, and anyone interested in doing the miracles, that only a stacked deck can produce, must get a copy.

Mike
www.themagicshop.co.za
8 days a week !
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
Wow....i saw his name before....but hadn´t seen his work before.
And i´m impressed. Will definitely order this book.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
I haven't begun to scratch the surface of this book, and I'm already blown away. I've committed a number of the more simple/commonly asked for poker formulas to memory and have been able to perform a lesser version on-demand when I don't have the printed out sheets handy. It's absolutely fantastic, and beats my prior self-made system that involved shifts. Martin Eisele's app was worth every cent.

I also enjoy Sherlock immensely. I've done similar tracking work for a while, but his presentation/approach really makes it.

Fantastic thinking throughout so far. I can't wait to delve deeper--but I'm having so much fun with Poker Formulas that I'm going to have to force myself to move on!

If you're a stack worker, I can't imagine not getting this book. We have few stack-specific publications as it is, so it's excellent to see a real gem like this.
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2016, dylanxtay wrote:
Sherlock is one nice way to open up your act by having the entire deck shuffled by the spectators and continuing more Mem Deck tricks would just fry them even more. Talk about getting deep fried.

It's extremely unlikely, but bear in mind that you might mis-identify the card in Sherlock. If you have 18 19 21 20 22 23 then the card could be 20 or 21, but you cannot know which. Charles Jordan was aware of this issue back in 1919 but to my knowledge nobody since then has mentioned it in print.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
That's one potential issue with Sherlock, but that's easily dealt with as you can usually find identifying features between the two cards and go fishing for a moment (or, as an example - remove one and cut the other to the top of the deck in prep for top change and do a miscall for the one on top of the deck - if wrong, show the one in your hand, otherwise get your applause and top change if you feel the need to show it around).

The other potential issue is that based on the handling (either in replacement or during shuffling), there is a VERY slight chance of not knowing anything about the chosen card - in which case mnemonicosis is your best friend for that very unlucky outcome.
Amazingdrz
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Amazingdrz
I don't mean to "compete" with The Magic Café, but I have started a separate blog, with Pit's permission (but without his involvement) about In Order to Amaze.
If you would be interested, check out http://www.inordertoblog.com . Your input would be greatly appreciated.
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
I understand that many of the tricks in here are stack independent, but are they as easy to /learn/ in other stacks? Does the teaching refer to Mnemonica positions or is it taught in a stack independant way also?
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
In most cases, the teaching is just as easy with any stack you may know. In the few cases where discussing stack order is more important, Pit has gone through the trouble to explain not only in Mnemonica, but also include the instructions for Aronson stack users. Other stack users will be able to generalize to their stacks fairly easily (all with the exception of the 4 stack-dependent effects). If you do memorized deck work with any stack, this is a worthwhile book to study.
avasatu
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of avasatu
Poker Formulas is a god-tier effect if presented correctly. The Heavyweight, Sherlock, Fairy Tale Poker, Game of Chance, and the principle of Quartets are all great, just to name a few. I don't use much from the book (currently just Poker Formulas and Heavyweight), but I would still place this in my top 5 mem deck books of all time. Whether or not you use the material (you will), the knowledge and wisdom contained in the pages clearly come from a master.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Long before IOTA was published I had a conversation with Sudo Nimh about possible alternative presentation approaches for Pit's "The Core" as we both loved its workings but didn't feel overwhelmed by the suggested patter. Sure, one could perfectly use "The Core" as an Out (just like an ungaffed Invisible Deck)... but isn't there maybe more to it? Smile

So we both exchanged ideas for different presentation angles, and while I haven't publish mine yet (due to lack of time), Sudo on the other hand did: you will find his lovely take on "The Core" here.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I like it, thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Pit Hartling's New Book - In Order To Amaze (119 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL