The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Penn & Teller Fool Us (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
I just happened to see that Penn and Teller's Fool Us, season 2, starts tonight at 8:00 (Eastern) on CW.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
You can read my review of the first episode of their new season here:

http://jackshalom.net/2015/07/07/fool-us-penn-and-teller/
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
I might be biased but this season looks promising! The acts on Ep.1 were phenomenal, super entertaining and have a great variety.
Looking forward to the rest of this season!
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would watch those two get on an elevator and be entertained. I did not get to see as much of the first run as I would have liked but I enjoyed the dynamic.

The part I really enjoy is how Penn treats people. Writes down methods so as not to expose them and like how he treated Gazo worry such respect.

They are carving out a nice niche for themselves.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
I enjoyed the premier as much as I enjoyed the first season in the UK (which was quite a bit). One of the things I like is that this isn't an ordinary talent-show sort of program -- they bring in some first rate magicians. And the "competition" part is a gimmick, really, because many of the magicians are there to get exposure that they might not otherwise get, and they have no interest in fooling Penn & Teller. When Gazzo was on in season 1, he obviously did not think he was going to fool Penn & Teller with the Cups and Balls. And last night, Jon Armstrong performed Tiny Plunger, which is a marketed effect that has been available for a couple of years. Did he mean to fool them? Doubtful -- he was showing off a fantastic routine.

They're usually pretty good about speaking in code so as not to tip off methods, and I thought Penn did a good job of this with Tiny Plunger. He may have been a little careless with Xavier -- he gave out an easily Googleable term that Jonathan Ross then repeated.

They should record a new opening -- the one they used looked to be from the original series, 105-pounds-of-Penn ago!
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I wonder if this has become a platform for people to just promote themselves and/or things they sell. I liked the show (and really like my Tiny Plunger, think it's a great effect), but there was about a 0% chance any of the first three acts would fool them.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
I think it's a platform for people to promote themselves ... or, to put it another way, for Penn and Teller to promote acts they want people to see. I think that's a good thing. To promote products? I don't recall many magicians appearing with marketed products; Tiny Plunger, sure; Jon Allen's Pain Game, which I think was on the market before Fool Us; Archer started selling Blank Night after appearing on the show, but he was genuinely trying to fool them (and succeeded). But most aren't selling products, and I suspect P&T would avoid having their show become an hour-long commercial.
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
From talking to the producers of the show.... They view the show more as an oppurtunity for Great Magic to be on TV. The "Fooling" part is so that TV people will BITE on the show. A magic competition where the tricks will be revelaed sounds pretty interesting. From my understand if they get fooled its just and added bonus... The producers were extremly Heavy on the don't worry about the fooling part..... Just perform great magic.

After talking with Garrett Thomas about the show.. He said while its a great platform.... but the show is still called "Fool Us" He talked me into bringing everything I had to the table and trying to FRY the heck out of them.. Initially I was just going to perform my best overall routine.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, sjbrundage wrote:
From talking to the producers of the show.... They view the show more as an oppurtunity for Great Magic to be on TV. The "Fooling" part is so that TV people will BITE on the show. A magic competition where the tricks will be revelaed sounds pretty interesting. From my understand if they get fooled its just and added bonus... The producers were extremly Heavy on the don't worry about the fooling part..... Just perform great magic.
That's the impression I've always had. I remember John Archer talking about it, and the producers were trying to get him to perform one of his other effects (he himself has said Blank Night isn't his strongest), but he actually wanted to fool them so he went with the one trick he knew was his own method.

Quote:
After talking with Garrett Thomas about the show.. He said while its a great platform.... the show is still called "Fool Us" He talked me into bringing everything I had to the table and trying to FRY the heck out of them.. Initially I was just going to perform my best overall routine.

Well, it was a great routine AND it fooled them! Two for two. They didn't even waste any time about it (unless their "discussion" was edited out). Great work, and congrats. Has your appearance as their opening act been scheduled yet?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Congratulations Steven Brundage . Well done (it FOOLED me , too . Loved what you did !)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, David Todd wrote:
Congratulations Steven Brundage . Well done (it FOOLED me , too . Loved what you did !)

+1. Really enjoyed your performance. Thanks!
Dr. J Maggio
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Dr. J Maggio
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, Magicbarry wrote:
I think it's a platform for people to promote themselves ... or, to put it another way, for Penn and Teller to promote acts they want people to see. I think that's a good thing. To promote products? I don't recall many magicians appearing with marketed products; Tiny Plunger, sure; Jon Allen's Pain Game, which I think was on the market before Fool Us; Archer started selling Blank Night after appearing on the show, but he was genuinely trying to fool them (and succeeded). But most aren't selling products, and I suspect P&T would avoid having their show become an hour-long commercial.

Given their libertarian / Ayn Rand silliness, I do not they would mind an hour long commercial at all.... as long as people gotpaid. And I say this though I love P and T, despite hating their college-dorm politics.

Good first episode.

J
Dr. J Maggio
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Dr. J Maggio
Quote:

After talking with Garrett Thomas about the show.. He said while its a great platform.... but the show is still called "Fool Us" He talked me into bringing everything I had to the table and trying to FRY the heck out of them.. Initially I was just going to perform my best overall routine.

Yeah, I was expectig Doug Henning. And I got a miracle. My girlfriend ad I were stunned. In the other acts I was way ahead. "Ok, he is using ONE-AHEAD plus a force, plus disappearing inc.. etc)

I could follow most of the plunger guy, but some parts stumped me... but I could tell Penn was talking in code.

The pantomine guys was lovely. But he obviously would not fool them. But I loved him too.

Really only SHOCKER bored me, and was not deceptive at all

But you were blatantly poetic with that rubric cube.
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2015, Dr. J Maggio wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I was expectig Doug Henning. And I got a miracle. My girlfriend ad I were stunned. In the other acts I was way ahead. "Ok, he is using ONE-AHEAD plus a force, plus disappearing inc.. etc)

I could follow most of the plunger guy, but some parts stumped me... but I could tell Penn was talking in code.

The pantomine guys was lovely. But he obviously would not fool them. But I loved him too.

Really only SHOCKER bored me, and was not deceptive at all

But you were blatantly poetic with that rubric cube.

THank you for the very kind words. That routine has been in the works for quite a few years. Looks completly different 3 years ago than it does today.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, Nash wrote:
I might be biased but this season looks promising! The acts on Ep.1 were phenomenal, super entertaining and have a great variety.
Looking forward to the rest of this season!

Nash, when are you going to be on? (I'm assuming that is why you are biased)
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Is it just me, or did Penn seem a little at being fooled by Leon & Romy's card trick? After being told Romy walking across the stage had nothing to do with it, he immediately launched into a very detailed description of the potential method, which is atypical, given that he normally speaks in code.

During season 1 there were accusations that one of the acts had purposely faked a sleight to throw P&T off. Perhaps he felt they'd been burned by a similar deception? (Granted, it's tougher to accuse the act of that sort of thing this time around; the season 1 incident looked more suspicious.)
Dr. J Maggio
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Dr. J Maggio
He seemed a tad annoyed.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
I was more surprised by the first episode of the new season when Penn claimed that he was fooled by Tiny Plunger and that the only reason Jon Armstrong didn't fool them was that Penn happened to team up with Teller about 40 years ago. As was pointed out in an earlier post in the thread by Magicbarry, it's a marketed effect that's been around for two years. Am I the only one here finding it hard to believe Penn didn't know the trick?
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Perhaps Penn just wanted to give Jon high praise for a good presentation. I see a lot of magic, but that was the first time I've ever seen Tiny Plunger performed. I've read about it. I've seen the reviews, but I hadn't seen it performed before then. The second time was last Monday evening when Master Payne performed it at a show in Seattle.
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
Good show - good first episode!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Penn & Teller Fool Us (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL