The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Penn & Teller Fool Us (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Everyone always talks about how famous the work of some of the magicians on the show is. Don't forget that, while Penn and Teller are knowledgable, they have zero reason to invest in anything within current magic culture, especially regarding products and releases. They're not sitting on forums looking at what's hot, they're doing their show.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
My favorite excerpt from the article I posted a couple of comments back:

'I don’t like fooling people. I always thought it distasteful for a magician to tell his audience that he was going to fool them. Fooling people is the baseline of magic and I thought it was an unspoken assumption that that’s what was happening. I would never verbalize it because it would create a “me vs. you” relationship, and that doesn’t make for a positive, artistic experience.'

If every magician felt this way, our art would be so much better respected and appreciated.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Kostya legit fooled Penn & Teller - actually, he fooled Teller Smile
But for the skeptics who think PT are faking.
1.) They are doing their shows as Michaelmystic2003 said. So it isn't a surprise that sometimes they are not as updated on what has been released
2.) The general public has no idea which magician is what we considered "magician's magician". Even if they 'faked' being fooled to give them respect and the recognition they deserve from the general public, then GREAT!!! This would be a rare moment when magicians actually helping magicians
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Check out the link that Barts185 posted. Kostya has some good stuff to say there, and there's also a link to an interview of Penn AND Teller that is quite telling.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Here's a nice article about the last episode:
http://community.ew.com/2015/08/18/penn-......d-trick/
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
I just find it hard to believe that the stars of a show like Fool Us aren't keeping up with the newest things in magic, at least to some extent. Who among us, if we were starring on that show, would take on magicians trying to fool us and completely ignore what's going on with the latest developments in magic? And even if you could convince me Penn isn't keeping up with this stuff, I'll never believe Teller isn't. Penn was fooled by Tiny Plunger when only the newest users of this board were? These guys who have forgotten more about magic than a lot of us will know and gained all that knowledge because of a passion for the art are just doing their show and ignoring the new stuff? No, not buying it.

I know some of you disagree, I'm not trying to be disrespectful or hostile to anyone who does and I'm not making a conscious choice to cling to my skepticism - I just can't get rid of it. "They're just doing their show" makes no sense, not to me anyway. Magic magazines are trade journals to these guys, tax-deductible to boot, and these are the kind of guys who would read this kind of stuff for fun as well as to keep up. Who would work for 40 years to get to their reputation and level of knowledge and then not keep up, choosing to "just do their show" instead?
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
P&T are busy constantly doing tv, directing various plays, writing/producing/directing doc films, writing books, doing interviews, broadway, vegas, etc. The are in real show biz. When it comes to their own material it seems to be envisioned by them and as far as I can see not influenced in the least by the latest magic trick being marketed. My guess is that they never see a magic magazine and a tax deduction isn't much of an enticement.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Teller is a magic historian, I doubt there is much that goes under his radar.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I just can't understand why they're not posting on the Café also. Slackers.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
One can only post on so many forums.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
They're two busy artists. They don't give a flying !@#$ about the magic market.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
David Roth did an outstanding job Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I thought Jade was the best of show tonight.

It was hard to watch David Roth's tremors, knowing how wonderful he used to be. I assume it was due to infirmity and not nerves. The vanishes were fun.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I was impressed by the kid. If he keeps with it, he may go somewhere. He really seemed at ease in that big of a crowd. (the little "2 faced" liar) Smile (GT would have been proud)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
JLemoine
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JLemoine
Jade's performance was nice and I really enjoyed watching David Roth performing.
The only part I really disliked was Ran'd Shine's.
Coming to this show to do a commercial trick -Claude Rix's Révélation(s)- without adding anything, not even a nice presentation... what's the point?
Of course, it's ok when it's a 13 years old boy who does that, but Ran'd Shine is not, and when you brag about performing around the world, doing magic for presidents, etc. I mean... come on!
It ****es me off, because I'm sure he can do much better than a commercial trick anybody could do (you just have to buy it in a magic shop).
I kinda felt the same way when I saw Matthew Holtzclaw doing Wayne Houchin's Thread. Even though I really appreciated his presentation, I thought "what's the point" and was disappointed that Houchin's name wasn't cited.
And, of course, I kinda felt the same too when some magician whose name I can't remember won Britain's got talent with Dan Harlan's Card-toon.

It's just sad.
JLemoine
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JLemoine
That awkward moment when Jonathan Ross asked Ran'd Shine if he had invented or added something new to the trick for being so confident he could fool them...
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I've been involved in magic for 50+ years and I've never heard of Claude Ricks (sp?)? Anyone?

Two outcomes? I'm not ashamed to say that I was fooled.

Robert
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2015, Poof-Daddy wrote:
David Roth did an outstanding job Smile

I agree, David Roth was great.
I was watching with my wife and I explained that he is a legend in coin magic. She asked, what was wrong with his hands.
I then noticed that his hands looked arthritic, and shaped like a claw. Is it arthritis or something else?
Mr. Roth is one of the top coin magicians in the world and I own one of his books and a few DVDs. And a gentleman.
I hope he is well.
Ihor
JLemoine
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JLemoine
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2015, Robert M wrote:
I've been involved in magic for 50+ years and I've never heard of Claude Ricks (sp?)? Anyone?

Two outcomes? I'm not ashamed to say that I was fooled.

Robert

It's Claude RIX (as I said in my post). You can search his name on the Café and find out some of his stuff.
He's a French magician, famous for the great work he did on the memorized deck (he is cited by Tamariz in Mnemonica), for his "beggar's pearls" and for this trick, "Revelation(s)".
He was a very, very close friend of Fred Kaps, Pavel, Ali Bongo... With Fred Kaps, he invented a sort of friendly competition ("Le fruit d'or de Montaneuf") which was actually more a meeting of famous magicians hold at his house in the French countryside (in the Champagne region). Tomy Wonder went there (among others).
There is a very good article about him in the July 2011 of Magic magazine.
http://www.magicmagazine.com/july11/july11contents.html

Revelation(s) was reviewed in the Wizard Product Review.
It is an improvement of a trick which has been long attributed to Fred Kaps (in French, we call the trick "Le dé de Fred Kaps", or "Fred Kaps' dice") but it was indeed invented by Rix.
The guy on fool us didn't add or change a single thing to the trick (and I think it's a shame).
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
In the original Rix trick, I don't believe it is possible to spread out the entire deck face up before the revelation of the selected card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Penn & Teller Fool Us (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL