The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents: The Examiner by John Graham (64 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, takeachance wrote:
We don't have anything like that size of newspaper where I'm from so it is an issue and deal breaker. Don't quite see that as a negative comment, just asking if it has to be that size before buying it, being disappointed when it ends up in the back of a draw.

Don't just think newspaper we have magazines that size and smaller advert papers.

I'm hoping that normal tabloid will work but we will have to see.

Yes, I was going down that avenue Saturn, coming up with an alternate to a newspaper. It was the condescending post a couple above I was replying to.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Hmm, yes it would make sense to use the larger marker in a stage or parlour setting...but in those situations handing the paper out for examination would be less required/requested.

In close up situations where it would be more helpful that the paper can be examined, that marker sticks out like a sore thumb(tip). But I'm probably just thinking like a magician.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Very few of us perform on stage most will be in a parlour situation so handing out is a nice touch.

I speak as a performer not a shop here, I can see the value and effect here, the marker is not unusual, I have already said I use a jumbo marker in my show for Bowlarama so I can use this marker for that and this effect.

The minimal prep time is also a great plus when you do more than one show a day or if you don't like prep before your show.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Marks right there. This has a lot of potential for parlour or group performance by close up workers.
Also, if you've ever set up a 'secret room' style area (see Alan Hudsons blog) this would be a cracking effect to include.

MoM will be compiling ideas on this for the blog, closer to release, as the team gets performing feedback etc
Examiner is out for pre-order now and comes with a 1 year satisfaction guarantee by MoM
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.......d=146541
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, scott0819 wrote:
Hmm, yes it would make sense to use the larger marker in a stage or parlour setting...but in those situations handing the paper out for examination would be less required/requested.

In close up situations where it would be more helpful that the paper can be examined, that marker sticks out like a sore thumb(tip). But I'm probably just thinking like a magician.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not believe you are thinking like a magician. There is NO natural motivation for hanging onto the marker once you have used it. Hanging onto the marker clearly makes the task more difficult.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I disagree. I'd argue that in a standup situation, retaining the marker in one's hand is the more efficient thing to do.
It's all in the reflexes.
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of doiron
Takeachance, I wasn't referring to you at all.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
That is quite the large marker LOL... BUT like most methods for every advantage gained there has to be a trade-off. Holding onto the marker during a stand-up show would not arouse that much suspicion and in most cases the large marker is necessary for people to be able to see the writing from a distance. However, bringing out a giant-sized marker like that in close-up situation seems a bit odd when people are standing only a few feet away (why not use a standard Sharpie?).
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I can't take my eyes off the marker it is so darn large.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3066 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Sometimes a marker is just a marker (Freud)
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Little paper, big marker.

No. Mr. Ree.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Yes I'm happy to see you...and it's a large marker.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
So how close can you perform this to the specs?
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
957 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Examiner 2.0 coming soon.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, gtx magic wrote:
Examiner 2.0 coming soon.

I Love that!
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Pretty cool. It's like a giant b**l sw***h.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
> Hi all. Please note that the Examiner is designed primarily for stage and stand up..as mentioned in the demo. Now for the Close up guys who use the smaller standard sharpie..who live and breath and perform in a world of standard size sharpies...the Examiner marker looks a whole lot bigger..which it is.
>
> But again..the Examiner is primarily for stage/stand up..not close up. And using a jumbo marker is a very normal thing to use for stage work..they leave a bigger mark which shows up better at a distance..plus a jumbo marker visually reads better as a prop on stage for a larger audience.
>
> This marker is made from a standard brand off-the-rack jumbo marker that regular folks see and use in real life. This same style/size marker is often used by corporate trainers and speakers in their presentations.
>
> The Examiner is also featured in every performance by its creator: full time working pro John Graham. He wouldn't be using this if it didn't consistantly astonish and get the big reactions. Thanks for pondering

Joy to all

Janet Harris
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Hey guys!

I sat down with The Examiner creator John Graham for a quick Q&A about his new effect!

I hope this helps answering any of your questions!

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
krazykat
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
87 Posts

Profile of krazykat
I have seen John Graham use this in multiple performances, have heard audience reactions, and have NEVER heard anyone question the size of the marker! I have heard the theories of the staff at the resorts where John works day in day out, and none of their ideas mentioned the marker!

I have, however, heard the gasps as the newspaper is restored.

This looks even better in real life than in the video.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Nice, Kyle, that was great! All joking about the marker aside, IMO, the fact that this requires little prep is HUGE.
I mean, Newsflash, which I own, looks awesome, but good grief whatta prep that is!
Just my two cents
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents: The Examiner by John Graham (64 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL