The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Oculus By Brandon Queen (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
colinj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of colinj
"A revolutionary mind-reading technique with no props, and nothing written down. Impossible to explain... because it's real."

Today's coolbox at Penguin. Has anyone checked this out yet? I've liked, though not used, Brandon's other releases so I am curious about this.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Looks like COG to me. Anyone know where the difference is?
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Looks like COG to me. Anyone know where the difference is?

Was thinking the same thing, so hesitant to buy.

Liked the trailer though and would pay for some new ideas application wise.
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
268 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
+1 for "looks like Cog."
Let's wait for some reviews... or some review copies! Smile
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
"But as Ran Pink says: "

It would be difficult to put it any better than that!
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Just purchased this out of curiosity to see how different it is from cog. Ive just watched the full performance and the first few mins of the explanation when the video started playing up so gonna have to try again later but from what I saw its not much different from cog, more or less same method....

kieran
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
I don't understand why this principle keeps being rebranded and resold.. It seems like COG to me too. And the post above supports that theory..

Hmmm..
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sooooo, is this really just the old (not really) NLP eye accessing stuff, like the Ben Rayot thing from a few years ago...
I've asked to be banned
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, IAIN wrote:
Sooooo, is this really just the old (not really) NLP eye accessing stuff, like the Ben Rayot thing from a few years ago...

Maybe, I don't know, but if it is it's new cause someone else is doing it.
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, IAIN wrote:

Iain, if I gave you an answer would that man I'm tipping the method???

Kieran
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Don't own COG...and am only halfway though the video...but man, this is brilliant.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I dunno... the thing is, I don't have COG... and sadly, people have less and less historical knowledge in magic and mentalism (i know, I know, we can't own everything - but you can ask around, its not that difficult - I do it)... and I'm sure Ben Rayot's method was used before he published it to (but at least Banachek was involved in the release) - I just think we need to be careful about exciting new methods being sold when they're not...

i know its about selling the sizzle, but I would at least like to know where the beef is bred before I buy it...

if this is a new method - great...i'll buy it, mainly because Brandon has a beard..
I've asked to be banned
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Who cares about the beard.

The cool Buddy Holly glasses - now are are talking!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Ok, since COG is not available, this seems like a good alternative.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Who cares about the beard.

The cool Buddy Holly glasses - now are are talking!

Don't forget his glorious hair.
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I own Cog and Brandon showed me Oculus in its early stages at last year's Mindvention. This is NOT the same method as Cog. It's in the same arena, in the way that a double lift and a top change are both card moves that utilize the top of a deck of cards. There are benefits to having both methods in your arsenal. The same is true here.

Hopefully that helps to clarify.

-Adam
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I thought it was his suspenders!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok, so downloaded it...

i'm about to do something that I hate others doing...sorry...

only watched the first 6.30minutes of it and I have to say - I really didn't like what I saw...

the second performance - a woman takes a card out, looks at it, puts it in her pocket - brandon then takes the deck back, and as he is taking her through the process needed, he is showing her cards to help her identify/be clear on the suits and values...

let's stop here...

brandon genuinely goes through the deck to show her...all during the process needed...soooooo, why not just use a st**k? you'd have to change one tiny, minor thing and that would be it...

i think its a weakening of the effect to handle the deck after she's touched it, especially as the effect does not require you to touch the deck or set it up in any way...

as for the process, and bearing in mind I have just watched two performances ONLY...its repetitious and there is no real presentation or reasoning behind it - that may well be deliberate! so now I am going back to it to watch the rest, hoping that it gets better...please don't read this in anything other than a disappointed tone (not an angry or sarky one)...

i was ready to eat my hat...well, beard, I don't wear hats...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I can sum up the rest now.

No.
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Oculus By Brandon Queen (20 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL