The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Las Vegas Review Journal Discusses upcoming changes to Busking Laws at Fremont Street Experience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James_Kelsey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of James_Kelsey
As it has been a discussion before I thought you guys might want to see what the ordinance will actually look like. Performers have been working as best we can with Fremont to come to a system that works for is all and while it will be a big change, we are confident this will help clean up Fremont St. Also, not a half bad picture of me doing my cups routine.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vega......-buskers
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
120 Posts

Profile of Endless West
!@#$ that. The only good regulation is no regulation.
It's better to let the streets be the free open streets.
Nick W
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Nick W
I read the comments at the end of the article. there seems to be a population of people who still pool street performers together with the drunks and other street weirdos. that's one of the problems right there and maybe the performers are to blame. if the public is not on your side there's definitely an issue.

there would not need to be regulations if the existing performers were respectful to themselves and the public, and followed simple street guidelines.
James_Kelsey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of James_Kelsey
It's not performers who dpn't. It's homeless people who rent a tipped up spider man costume and the guy who decides to put on a thong and pose for pictures to make a quick buck. Not to mention loud bucket drummers and messy palm leaf twisters. Real performers can't be seen or heard. This new ordinance will certainly level the playing field.
Rocky
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Some people enjoy the bucket drummers and palm leaf twisters. I was just in Vegas a few days ago and saw more crowds gathered around the musicians (ranging from bucket drummers to techno artists) than most other acts. I didn't encounter any street magicians, yet this is not uncommon for some reason.

I would suggest to a street performer who is annoyed by the lack of street professionals who may impede on the performance of a "real performer" to take your act to a venue where YOU are the sole attraction.
Nick W
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Rockys got a point. if a bucket performer has real skill and charisma, hes gonna build a massive crowd. cant blame the guy

i personally avoid vegas because its a very particular pitch that would not work for my kind of act. it seems to be strictly a fast paced 10 minute show kind of pitch.
James_Kelsey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of James_Kelsey
Rocky, the major issue with the bucket drummers in particular is that they have no noise restrictions which gives them an unfair advantage on the street as a magician has to be within a certain volume range. Palm twisters are illegally selling their products, this is not free speech. It is not busking.
Rocky
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2015, James_Kelsey wrote:
Rocky, the major issue with the bucket drummers in particular is that they have no noise restrictions which gives them an unfair advantage on the street as a magician has to be within a certain volume range. Palm twisters are illegally selling their products, this is not free speech. It is not busking.

If a person is going to perform on the streets then he/she had better realize that there are no restrictions on many issues a performer will encounter. If its not the loud drummer that impedes your performance then it will be the weather. If it's not the weather its a heckler. If its not a heckler its the magician down the street who has a better cup and ball routine. The bottom line is this...if the noise a bucket drummer is making sucks, people wont stop and listen. If its done well and the noise impedes your performance then move.If someone is selling an illegal product, let the police worry about it (the LAPD didn't care as I saw at least 5 palm twisters in a one hour period and police were EVERYWHERE). Its the street my friend. The only advantage is having the skill AND intelligence to make the street a successful performance venue.
James_Kelsey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of James_Kelsey
Rocky, you seem to have a misunderstanding about what I'm saying. Anyone with a sound system is legally bound to not have their system over a certain decibal level (70 decibals at 50 feet). I have had a friend who was arrested for this. A bucket drummer on the other hand can play at more than a hundred decibals to the point where they can be heard for 100 yards in each direction and the police can do nothing about it. This new ordinance gives the same maximum volume as a dancer, magician, or contortioniast can have their sound system at.
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
1 Post

Profile of yllawwally
Sorry to butt in. However, what is a palm twister?
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
120 Posts

Profile of Endless West
Then start yelling into a bucket.
Don't bring regulations down on other performers because they have a way of being legally louder than you.
It's the free market. If you can't compete with the noise of a bucket drummer, learn to drum buckets better than him.
Having pigs shut down other people because it's not fair is just asking for your own trouble later.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Las Vegas Review Journal Discusses upcoming changes to Busking Laws at Fremont Street Experience (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2015 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.070460 seconds, requiring 30 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [1] [4] [8] [8] [8] [6] [8] [3] [5]