The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cube FX (74 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Therealmagician
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Therealmagician
Does anyone know anything about the Cube FX DVDs that are coming out? I saw the trailer at www.magiccubefx.com. How is this different from The Cube by Usui or what Steven Brundage did on Fool Us? I'm a keen Rubik's cube magician so I'm really excited about all these releases.

Here's the trailer for Cube FX: https://youtu.be/12DJxdckmnI
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Therealmagician
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

Looks like that thread turned into a Revizzit vs DVD discussion. I want to know what each DVD actually covers in terms of Rubik's cube magic?
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I have seen Karl do this routine a number of times. IT KILLS! I am so happy that he's releasing this. I have wanted to put a Rubik's cube routine into my repertoire. This is it! Yee hah!

Mike
Heinstein
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Heinstein
This is a valuable question that probably few have the answer too as CUBE FX isn't out yet and Steven hasn't released his routine yet.

First let me say that I highly recommend Takemiz Usui's "The Cube" to anyone looking to do Cube Magic! The one handed pattern he teaches has lots of applications and can serve as a great one handed false mix. It's not that difficult to do and some of his effects are very different from what's on Cube FX. Knowing "The Cube" will be a GREAT compliment to Cube FX and whatever material Steven puts out.

Second, I also want to say that I highly recommend anything that Steven Brundage puts out. I don't think he plans on releasing his amazing Fool Us routine but I'm pretty sure he has some other stuff in the works that is also very good and creative. Right now I think he is at the forefront of magic with cubes. He has taken some of my ideas and some of Takemiz Usui's ideas and applied his crazy skills and clever thinking and really pushed magic with speed cubes forward and into the spotlight.

There will be some cross over between all of the routines you mention in terms of duplication of some effects using different methods. Part of the value of each product is in revealing new ideas and effects as well as different techniques and methods to get there.

With CUBE FX, John George and I have done our best to bring the viewer the value of our years of experience performing with cubes. I personally think there is as much value in our numerous discussions on the project as there is in the actual routines. We teach and show many different ways of instantly solving a real speed cube, my super easy technique for doing a matching effect (which I very reluctantly am releasing), mentally selected colors solving in the spectators hands and magic with iphones/ipads and cubes. We also give many tips about how to vary and restructure routines when performing in strolling environments, on TV, standup situations, blindfolded, as a mentalist versus as a magician, etc..

So this project will be much more comprehensive than Usui's THE CUBE or what you saw Steven do on Fool Us.

Here is a performance of just a small part of my main routine that I did on TBS over a year ago that we explain on CUBE FX.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvYXXvqkxw

So there is no clear cut answer other than get them all if you are able to. If you're interested in doing magic with any prop (like a Speed Cube), it's always best to study as much as you can and then move in your own direction.

I hope that helps and I will do my best to check back to answer if anyone has more specific questions.
Heinstein
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Heinstein
Thanks Mike Powers - I think you were one of the first magicians to see the routine years ago at the Buffalo 52. Hope to see you soon at MagicLive or Genii.....
MagicallyMe
View Profile
Veteran user
Manhattan Beach, CA
356 Posts

Profile of MagicallyMe
What price range will this be in?
Therealmagician
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

I've already got The Cube and use the routines all the time! I'll probably buy both CUBE FX and Steven's DVD when they come out. Are all of the routines on CUBE FX with standard cubes?
Simon Layland
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Simon Layland
Can someone at least give us a rough price and release date on this.
Therealmagician
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

I think CUBE FX is this month and Steven's project next month. Steven's comes with a cube so will increase the price. CUBE FX will be around $70 I believe.
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Karl was gracious enough to share this with me early on. I've spent hours practicing, brainstorming and learning from Karl and his routine. Having seen this routine from the beginning, I can honestly say his work is incredible and his thinking is thorough. He has created a beautiful routine that is modular and extremely well constructed. His methods for mixing the cube and solving the cube have been in my repertoire for the last couple years. I can personally attest to the strength of the routine. I've even worked gigs with Karl where his Rubiks Cube work was the talk of the night!!

Admittedly, I'm a bit upset Karl is releasing this as I really want it all to myself. But since he's gonna do it, I can honestly say, ANYONE interested in putting the Rubiks Cube in their act will find Cube FX to be a worthwhile addition.

NOW FORGET EVERYTHING I JUST SAID!!
Heinstein
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Heinstein
Cube FX will be available for pre - sale by the weekend and released before the end of the month. You can still sign up at the website to get first notice about pricing, pre-sale discounts and other information. Retail price has been tentatively set at only $79.95. (Sorry to the few friends who have been doing parts of this routine for a while and begged me to put out with a much higher price point).

The majority of the effects on CUBE FX use a regular un-gimmicked speed cube. The main Cube FX routine only uses regular cubes. We give you many different variations and methods for each phase of the routine and one method out of many requires an extra gimmick. One of the Bonus Routines requires the knowledge of how to use and make an "Enchanted Cube." All of the other effects, tips and presentational ideas are geared towards using regular un-gimmicked cubes.

On a related note, I finally got a chance to watch Takamiz Usui's "The Cube +" which is his second DVD. Has anyone else already watched it? While it doesn't use Un-Gimmicked Cubes, it's a really good idea and a different method for doing one of the effects on CUBE FX. It's worth checking out and knowing and would be a complement (especially as an opener or magic for youtube or TV) to some of the ideas that John and I are putting out.
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
270 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
A few months ago I watched Karl's full cube routine at the W.C. Fields Bar in the Magic Castle. The audience was a mix of laypeople and magicians. Karl absolutely KILLED. All of the laymen were thoroughly entertained, and the magicians (some heavy-hitters) were totally fooled. Karl's routine ROCKED.

Everyone knows that Karl does some of the best (and most entertaining) card magic around, and his cube magic totally lived up to his reputation. It was entertaining, commercial, and amazing. And as for John George... I own his "You Can Solve the Cube" DVD from a few years back. It's truly fantastic. That DVD proved John is more than a great magician... he's a truly great teacher. With both of them on the same project, I'm willing to bet this is going to be one of the best releases of the year.

I can't wait to get one.
JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
420 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
My gut reaction was that $80 seems a bit steep for a video on Cubing.
Then I realized that I feel that way because I've already familiarized
myself with the standard cubing routines. If I didn't know how to do these
routines then I'd be willing to pay twice as much. Then I berated myself for
being a cheap ***. If I could take these two guys to lunch to pick their
brains about cubing the check would likely be over the sticker price on this
knowledge.

This is something that you can do anywhere that scales beautifully
for audiences of all sizes.
"Challenge Your Reality"
WiDells magic
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WiDells magic
Karl shared this cube FX routine with me 2 years ago at the FFFF magic convention, and it's so clean that I have not shared the secret with anyone! I am very thankful to Karl for this idea. He's a genius! It has been in my show ever since, and it is as good as any big-investment-stage-illusion we have in the show. We have a 500 seat theater and perform a 90 minute illusion show in Wisconsin Dells, WI. This routine is easy to follow, fun to watch and fools the heck out of people. It's worth every penny. Karl has great ideas and is a super nice person. I have performed it nearly 500 times so far and don't want to take it out of the show yet. I am still not tired of it! (By the way, I have seen all the other Rubik's cube routines out there. This is the one I use). -Rick Wilcox
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Hey Guys! Thought I would chime in. You might recognize some of my Rubik's Cube Magic Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwDAXC0_Bxk.

I hate to say this.... much like Shawn Popp... Some of the aspects of Karl's Routine are pure gold. I would have gladly paid thousands of Dollars for the Exclusive use of one of the utility moves in his routine. This is worth FAR more than $80 dollars. I have used a part of Karl's Routine for the past few years and I KILL with it, from high paying Coporate to College Shows! I am very lucky to call Karl a friend.

That being said I also have a Rubik's Cube DVD coming out Very Soon! While some of the Rubik's Cube Magic is similar there are lots of different ideas, method and presentational wise. If you like the Rubik's Cube in anyway, shape or form.. YOU NEED TO OWN BOTH DVD'S. Even if you don't solve the cube.. both DVDs with teach you how to solve a Rubik's Cube. In my experience Rubik's Cube Magic Gets crazy awesome reactions.
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Excited for Steven's release as well! Between Karl, James and Steven the world of Rubiks cube magic is in great hands. Both Karl and Steven are great thinkers and have shared their personal routines. If you are the very least bit interested in magic with a cube, you must get these releases. period.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Have seen Karl perform this countless times for magicians and laymen. Absolutely kills. Personally I hate seeing professionals practically giving away their staple performance pieces. That said, this is obviously a major contribution to the rubiks trend. Surprised he is sharing.

JB
Stryker
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Stryker
I've seen Karl's routine, it lives up to all the hype. That being said, John George's routine is fantastic as well. Plus, if you haven't learned how to solve the cube, then you'll need the instructional DVD. It has everything you'll need. Add all this together and it's an amazing deal. It will keep you busy for some time and add a whole new dimension to your performance.

Also, it's not mentioned in the trailer, but there is a really long section devoted to discussion between John & Karl on their thoughts and ideas about the cube. I love this part because it give me a huge array of information to feed my own creative process. If you know either of them, then you know that the best stuff comes from when they are brainstorming.

Get it.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2015, Stryker wrote:
I've seen Karl's routine, it lives up to all the hype. That being said, John George's routine is fantastic as well. Plus, if you haven't learned how to solve the cube, then you'll need the instructional DVD. It has everything you'll need. Add all this together and it's an amazing deal. It will keep you busy for some time and add a whole new dimension to your performance.

Also, it's not mentioned in the trailer, but there is a really long section devoted to discussion between John & Karl on their thoughts and ideas about the cube. I love this part because it give me a huge array of information to feed my own creative process. If you know either of them, then you know that the best stuff comes from when they are brainstorming.

Get it.

Oh stop!!!!! You are making it seem even better! I already wanted it....now I just want it NOW (imagine Violet Beauregarde shouting that) ...... can't wait!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cube FX (74 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL