The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Question for anyone who uses "Blaney Ladder Levitation" or "Suspension 3001" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I'm thinking about getting one of these illusions, but there's one thing that really concerns me about these that I would like some input on. They say that these are "one man illusions", which is very appealing to me since I'm usually a solo performer. But can these tricks really be done with just an ordinary volunteer from the audience? I've never seen these in person, but it would seem like a volunteer could easily see the secret just by turning their head slightly to the side and/or sitting up a little. Can it really be done with a volunteer, or does it really require someone who's in on the secret?

On a separate note, anyone have any opinions on if the ladder levitation is really worth the extra cost, or is it smarter just to go with suspension 3001?
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I do know that they can really be performed with anyone. In terms of exposing the secret to them, that's all about good audience management. You'll notice that most performers put them on their back, cross their arms and ask them to hold still. With a thin board and in that position, everyone holds still because probably they are worried about rolling off if they don't.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
The Blaney ladder Levitation is one of my favorite routines to perform. It can absolutely be done with a regular spectator but Chris is right on in saying that it's all about audience management. You have to control your volunteer. As for which one to use (Ladder Levi or 3001) it really depends on you, your budget and where you work. But the Ladder Levi is definitely worth it if you have the shows, the fees and the venues to use it.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Have you ever had an incident where the volunteer unexpectedly did turn their head, saw the secret and revealed it?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Murray Hatfield did an awesome job when he performed the Blaney Ladder Levitation at my wedding reception (June 2012). He had a child from the audience come up to help.

I'm always impressed when I see it performed.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, Murray Hatfield wrote:
The Blaney ladder Levitation is one of my favorite routines to perform. It can absolutely be done with a regular spectator but Chris is right on in saying that it's all about audience management. You have to control your volunteer. As for which one to use (Ladder Levi or 3001) it really depends on you, your budget and where you work. But the Ladder Levi is definitely worth it if you have the shows, the fees and the venues to use it.

Hi Murray, the website of Walter states that it holds up to 58kgs only. That is very little. How do you choose audience who will be around that weight?
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Weight is another problem with both of these illusions. I had been leaning towards suspension 3001. But due to weight limits, costs and other factor's I'm now actually leading towards pro-lines "In Mid Air" instead.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I am thinking of adding this into my show and trust me, it is a VERY large investment for me considering my country's currency which is 4.5 to 1 USD. That means, what you are paying for in America, I am paying almost 5 times over in Malaysia. In times like this, I am thankful for the Magic Café =) Thanks, Steve Brooks and team! Smile

Thank you for replying me, I would like to know what is the ProLine In Mid Air. I have not heard of it.

*edited. I found it on YouTube. Will do my study. Thank you for sharing. Will you tell me more about why you would prefer the Proline over Blaney?
I also found your previous post - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=7
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
It holds twice as much weight, but is a smaller and lighter prop, and costs far less, and has slightly better viewing angles.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Why not Abbots super x?
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
That's a different kind of suspension that may be good for some, but not all. Personally I don't like it that a hoop can't be "truly" passed around it. And there are better versions of this effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A hoop does not come with Super-X, so you just buy Walter Zany Blaney's hope, if you need it to travel straight over the person.

The hoop does not come with Walter Zany Blaney's Ladder Levitation either, that is an extra additional cost.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, JBiesecker wrote:
Have you ever had an incident where the volunteer unexpectedly did turn their head, saw the secret and revealed it?

It is good you are thinking of situations like this, as now you will find solutions to them. Good ability to chose audience members is an whole book in itself. Some have wrote about it.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Zlwin - I realize that it's a big investment but there's a reason why pro's pretty much choose the Blaney Ladder Levitation almost exclusively. It's a professional illusion built for a professional performer and it's built to last! The 3001 is also a great prop but with a few differences in design and performance. Still a good alternative. I know you feel that the prop doesn't hold enough weight but it can hold a fairly large child or a tiny woman. Personally I only use it with a young girl and I generally ask for a girl about 10 or 11 years old. This way they're old enough to follow directions but they're usually still fairly small.

As for the "In Mid Air"illusion. This is the first I've heard of it and in looking at the video it seems to be a cheap knock off of the 3001 Suspension. But it's kind of awkward. The stands that the board sits on aren't centred beneath the board. They're cheated to the rear so that if they were real and the board was sitting on them - the board would fall off the minute a person sat on it. Look at the 3001 - the supports actually "support" the board fully.

Just my opinion but I'd definitely go for the real (authorized) illusion.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The 3001 is not blaney's exclusive design though... Any good illusion builder could make a super x style suspension for you.

The 3001 is pretty boring...

I do drool over the ladder of course.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Murray, thank you for your time in replying me in such great length and detail. I do agree with you on that. And yes, an older child will make a good sport on stage and photo op. I will let you know how it goes when I get one. I am talking to some people.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Walter Zany Blaney has made a video series of his life and accomplishments in magic, and how the invented the Ladder Levitation and hoop.

Take a look it is very interesting into inventing and bring something to market, and creating a reputation.

http://walterzaneyblaney.com/
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
I performed the 2001 years ago, not that different from the 3001. We did it 6 shows a day, six days a week and it held a LOT of different sized audience members. Some I should have not put on there, but it held. It was a proscenium theatre and so the angles were fine. In over hundreds of performances, I never had a lady turn and look at the gimmick. If you get comfortable with the hoop pass, it is pretty amazing looking effect to float someone from the audience. It is the same effect as the ladder, so not sure why someone would call it boring. That is all in the presentation. Is it a one man illusion? Well, getting it on and off stage would be a challenge by yourself. If it can stay on stage the entire show, and you have a suitable audience member to "float". Then I would say yes it is a one man illusion. Judging someones suitability weight wise is difficult, especially when they are seated. Many times we performed it with a child to be safe.
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
184 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
I choose the 3001 for the weight factor. 3001 holds 150. I see many use kids for the ladders to be safe. I wanted to be able to float an adult female 150 is easier to judge rather than 120 IMO.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, msillusions wrote:
I performed the 2001 years ago, not that different from the 3001.

There was a suspension 2001? I've never heard of that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Question for anyone who uses "Blaney Ladder Levitation" or "Suspension 3001" (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL