The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Hit the Road (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
chiz
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
94 Posts

Profile of chiz
What do some of you think of this DVD?

I got it in the post the other day and sat down and started to watch. After about 10 minutes I switched it off since the video quality was terrible. When they were performing a card effect, you couldn't even see the value of the chosen card, etc.

Then I decided to give it another go, and watched a few more effects, but to be honest, I didn't find anything particularly good on the DVD at all.

_____
Ben
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
Overall, I did like the DVD. There are two tricks I've worked on off of it. Plus, I enjoyed the non-trick related stuff a lot.

I really enjoyed the "Rod the Hop" demonstration.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I would have like the Ceveron effects explained. That would have been worth "the price of the DVD" as they say.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
I also found the quality to be less than desirable. I also didn't like all the filler and cheese.

But on the good side it was refreshing to see someone trying to do something different than the norm.
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
In my opinion, it was a rather informative and interesting DVD.
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
I liked the DVD. It’s nice to have something different (like Lee Asher's other DVDs, this one is not your regular magic DVD), and fun to watch even if not really professionally done.

It was fun to watch and had a few good effects in it (like the matrix Dean Dill did - great stuff).

Two problems I had with it: the "trip" part was a little short for my taste. The other problem is the video quality.

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I though it was very well done and great stories from the past. I could have done without Paul Wilson in a kilt. Sean Connery looks good in one, however. Smile

I loved the one story about Vernon leaving the Castle one night for eggs. He was one in a million!!!

thk5353
View Profile
Regular user
Northern New Jersey
183 Posts

Profile of thk5353
It was very amusing to watch, although as other members mentioned that this isn't the most professionally made DVD. It gives a trick here and there from different magicians around the country. Some of the tricks on this DVD were pretty good. The only thing is that some of the really good tricks didn't have the explanation. I guess we have to buy the person's product to learn it.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I thought it was pretty good. They could have left the last part of the DVD out for sure, but the stuff was fun.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Yeah, the last part was just filler material, man. Well yeah, Hmm, I didn't really think the Dean Dill trick could fool any observer as it really is quite obvious, even from a layman's perspective.
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I really liked the DVD. The routines were good. As for the routines that weren't explained, I've been working on all of the, and have figured out how to do everyone I've worked on. My favorite of these is the one Wilson did at the Magic Castle. This is a great piece of magic!
-Chris
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Hey, have you actually tried performing "Given the Slip" to laypeople? I heard that it has some angle problems especially when you perform the required sleight. I'm sure Paul Wilson's variation differs to quite a large extent as compared to the one created by Dai Vernon right? Because if he didn't use short cards then it means that he probably had to use some kind of palming to place the cards in their position when he turns each portion of the cut decks over.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
The version on the DVD is Jerry Sadowitz's from the Crimp (with a minor handling variation from Paul). It is performed with regular cards.

Take care, Ian
briantwig
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of briantwig
Lonewolf,

You didn't Dill's assembly? I perform it all the time and it kills. Depending on the situation I will do it with 4 halves, or pocket items like Dill.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I liked it ok but I wouldn't buy it.
Dean Dills routine was good.
You can get the same routine in Deans, "Extreme Dean" dvd's.
Daniel Faith
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I liked it and sold it. Not a good DVD for my collection, but I'm glad I watched it.

rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Dean Dills matrix is the best ! The thing about the dvd that I like is the stories told by the vets. They also seem like they are having fun. There are a lot of bits and pieces to learn from. Maybe not as a whole routine but you get to learn slights that you could use for another effect. Its a great video IMO.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I liked the dvd alot. I also know Lee personally and love a lot of his stuff. He was the first to make the dvd/video scene better. So what if the quality wasnt the best. It wasnt crap. Most of the problem was that they were outside a lot and used a normal camera. A lot of the tricks were great and there were a few people on there that never before have been seen on video. They have stuff out but no videos. I also loved all the silly stuff in between. I mean come on. We have all seen the videos where the old guy is so boring to watch you flip it off after a few minutes and you feel like you wasted your money. I like very much that it had a lot of people on there and you get a bunch of different things. Cards, coins, cuts, ace pop outs, all that good stuff. I just want to say Lee, thanks again for putting out some more great stuff. Looking forward to Hit the road 2. Haha.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Is the stuff by the Buck Twins in the DVD any good and do they teach any of the stuff they perform?
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
The Bucks teach the Molecule 2 Production and the ace production Real Time. There are several clips of them flourishing as well.

I loved Asher's Resistance is Feudal, Ashford Kneitel's Tornado Production (am I missing something, because in the explanation of the Tornado Production, Ashford Kneitel says that you have to do Guy Hollingworth's Float pass, yet right after he says those very words, he just goes into his Tornado Cut instead, no float pass. Kinda confusing...), the best was Regal's Lucky 7s (based on his Self-Evident stock), almost worth the money of the entire video.

Other great effects were Nate Kranzo's Melting Coins routine (in the video, he teaches how to use it with an expanded half-shell, yet in Visual Voodoo he teaches how to perform it with the SLippery Sam gimmick instead?), Paul Wilson's kicker routine, Punch Too, and the production that Earl Nelson taught (the one from his Variations book, can't remember its name). Rod the Hop's demonstration was also fabulous. I liked some of the stories (Steve Beam and the Trapdoor, Earl Nelson talking about the Professor, etc) Some stuff like Lee Asher's Peppermill Cut, though, and the last segment of the video could have been left out...
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Hit the Road (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL