The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pop Haydn performs (47 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Surely wasn't the easiest audience but he converted them all, they gave up, they thought they know better, love these kind of performances

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGcZ_KN6VEk

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFJ5tL2vnq8

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwi9KLAxBKA
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
A master at work...
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Not that we didn't already know this, but the number of hard won hours in the crucible really shows in this performance. There's that Malcolm Gladwell idea about it takes 10,000 hours to master a complex task, well there it is, right there. A master, as pug says above.

Of course, we could ask, how did Pop Haydn get so good even 10,000 hours of performance previously? Unknown Smile
Roy Rocha
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Roy Rocha
SO entertaining!!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
More like a survivor of more than 10,000 hours of performing... Smile
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Pop your color changing silk routine fools me even though I know how it's done. Magicians like you are my all time favorite because you understand just how important presentation is. I hope you're still working on that book Smile
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Goes to prove... never underestimate the power of pixie dust! thanx for the links. ps I recommend Pop's notes on Chicago Surprise! Lynn
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
More like a survivor of more than 10,000 hours of performing... Smile

lol

That has inspired a new quotation ... to paraphrase a popular saying about genius and inspiration/perspiration:

Mastery is 99% survival and 1% arrival.
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Whit has created more than a mere "character" in Pop. He has developed an intriguing persona. I never get tired of watching Pop perform. He has brought new life to classic magic.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Part 1: Great opener! I love that he let her change her mind on the second choice! The production from the pockets was soooo smooth. The classic Fs were beautiful. Some amazing lines!

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Amazing performance!
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
I love the luxor joke
agilulfe
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of agilulfe
As a physicist, I really appreciate all the scientific mumbo-jumbo, in particular for the magnetized water. The mix between real scientific laws and pure delirium is great.
Look also at that one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2cYMBM3e0
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
My favorite performer
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Pop is also a very helpful guy. I had a question regarding lecture info. /content and he went more than out of his way to help in a way I wasn't expecting. You can tell he loves and respects the art.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks, guys!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
You can't trip up a season pro like Pop. He has seen it and heard it all. And he has a contigency plan for every scenario.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2015, agilulfe wrote:
As a physicist, I really appreciate all the scientific mumbo-jumbo, in particular for the magnetized water. The mix between real scientific laws and pure delirium is great.
Look also at that one

I hope you've seen these two as well:

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
A recent performance of my full one hour stage show:

Overworked
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Overworked
Last night I spent the evening watching Pop perform on youtube. I just let one video play after another and watched Pop do the same routine multiple times for multiple audiences. Here is what I learned:

The importance of Character, Performance, and Patter.

Character: We all know Pop's character that he plays. But what was interesting was watching one of the videos which started as just an interview in what looked like a library somewhere. Pop was not wearing his traditional costume her performs in, just his street clothes. As he was being interviewed I thought, well, here is a very nice man, but this isn't Pop. This is just a nice, soft spoken older gentleman, who I probably wouldn't have even recognized on the street. But after the interview, Pop gets up in front of the audience (in his street clothes) and suddenly in front of my eyes becomes Pop Hayden: they eyes, the expressions, the manner of speaking all changed. He BECAME the character right in front of my eyes. It was amazing. That taught me lesson one: the importance of creating a character from the bottom up. And that character didn't depend on costume or props, but just attitude and acting. Incredible.

Patter: Over and over I watched Pop deliver the same jokes and exact same patter for a trick over and over again for different audiences. And each time he delivered the patter it seemed spontaneous, as if he had just thought of it. Lesson Two: use patter and stick to it. The trick is to not be spontaneous, the trick is to SOUND spontaneous.

Performance. Of course this goes with Patter and Character, but watching Pop perform, it was clear, it AIN'T the TRICK, it is the PERFORMANCE of the trick that makes it magic.

Thanks for the lessons Pop. We are lucky to have you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pop Haydn performs (47 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL