The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ian Rowland’s “Mentalism Lecture Notes” (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of highmagic
It seems that the Ian Rowland’s “Mentalism Lecture Notes” are now available. Has anyone received them yet? Do we find original methods inside, or just new presentational approaches? You can find a description of the contents at http://www.ianrowland.com
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
We certainly do find original methods inside. These notes are superbly produced, exquisitely written, and contain some first-class material.

His 'No Method Drawing Duplication' is, for me, worth the price of the notes. A hearty well-done to Ian.
Hello.
Glenn
View Profile
New user
Seaford, Sussex, UK
83 Posts

Profile of Glenn
His light metal is one of the easiest and funniest spoonbending routines you will see.

Glenn
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
The notes are great: beautiful methods and great entertainment value in every routine. The NMDD is a masterpiece.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Thanks. I may check it out. I was indeed attracted by the NMDD.
Lamberto
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of Lamberto
Well, on your recommendation I ordered a copy yesterday. Looking forward.

Have you all been to the lecture?
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I wish I had. I have never seen Ian perform, regrettably. If his writing style and presentations are anything to go by, it would be an absolute pleasure to see him lecture.
Hello.
Glenn
View Profile
New user
Seaford, Sussex, UK
83 Posts

Profile of Glenn
Stephen,

He has a video for sale called Mind Power: Fact, fiction and Fakery.

There are demonstrations of metal bending under "test conditions", thought photography, telepathic drawing duplication, psychic intuition.

Please note that they are demonstrations.

No secrets are revealed.

His performing style is excellent.

Glenn
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
593 Posts

Profile of Trois
I can't find the lecture notes for sale. How much are they, plus shipping ? Anyone ?
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
They are £20.50 including postage to the U.S. At today's conversion rate, that's about $39.00. (The dollar is waning against the pound.) If you use a credit card, expect your bank to add a surcharge for currency conversion, too.

:nose:
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
593 Posts

Profile of Trois
Thank you, John.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I have just ordered a bunch of stuff from Ian, so I am looking forward to receiving this.
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
I’ve yet to have a single dud from Ian - simply great stuff!

Nick.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
There have been (in other places) a lot of great comments about the content of the lecture notes. I look forward to receiving them soon.

:nose:
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
adolphus
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of adolphus
I had an opportunity to flip through his notes. I thought I'd see him perform some of them first before I would decide to buy and study them. His spoon bending bit is in it, and is one of his signature pieces. That alone, as a "worker" may be worth the price to some. But I imagine there are other published bits that work well, too.

Other effects use items that are more in line with "magic" than straight mentalism, but I'm sure it all entertains. His "no Method Design dupe" generated some interest here, though I've heard a lecture attendee essentially say it seemed more "filler" than "practical."
"Unlike the mere Conjuror, the Mentalist reaches into that space which a hat normally covers. And from there, he withdraws something more fleeting - and at times, far fuzzier - than any rabbit"
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
690 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Aside from the spiral binding (which I dislike in all notes), I found them to be exceptionally well produced. The writing is crisp and clear. The typography and illustrations (all done by Rowland, I believe) are very good.

Having seen the lecture, I found that the notes were an excellent accounting of what he demonstrated. I think they easily stand alone. That is, unlike some notes, they don't require you to have seen the lecture in order to make sense of them.

Additionally, due to time constraints, for some routines there is actually more in the notes than discussed live. (Alternate approaches, for example.)

All of the above also applies to the "Card" lecture notes, which I actually find to be more useful to me. Good stuff in there, too.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
858 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Gordon - just a word of clarification. I intentionally created the lecture notes such that I could take the master pages (or disk) into any high street copy shop and get sets of them duplicated and bound. This is far more practical for travelling around the world than carrying large stacks of printed paper in my suitcase. This is why the notes are spiral bound, as opposed to my other stuff which I always get printed using perfect or 'burst' binding.

And yes, I did all the illustrations myself (thanks for noticing). This took forever because I'm no artist, so every single illustration is a line drawing created from a posed photograph. But I think the results are worth it. Love the material or hate it, but the illustrations are darned good!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1391 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Ian I just ordered and recieved the lecture notes from you - add me to the list of satisfied customers.
some people out there (especially in the mentalism area) sell stuff which has less value (effect-wise) is less in volume and production value and call it books!

this is really a great addition to my library.
great effects, great presentations (I will use the comedy spoon bending with a few other twists - pun intended)

Nir
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
If you are thinking about getting them, think no longer. Get them.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 95: Mentalism Lecture Notes – Ian Rowland

AD:

The Mentalism lecture notes are professionally printed and bound to a high standard, covering 5 complete routines from my professional repertoire as well as a complete explanation of what I call 'Preludes' cards. I've taken a lot of time and trouble over these notes to make sure they are worth buying and good value. They are well-written and illustrated, the detail is comprehensive, and the material is all practical, tried-and-tested stuff you really can use.

In detail:

Light Metal: this is the best, cleanest, most baffling and funniest 'test conditions' demonstration of metal-bending you will ever present. A member of the audience checks your hands and the spoons right at the start (no extra spoons are added later!), and also checks every aspect of this amazing 'psychic' feat as it unfolds. Yet a freely-selected solid steel spoon is seen to slowly, visibly and openly warp, bend and even break while held gently at the fingertips.
It is beautiful, it is baffling and it is also huge fun. This is just about my most-prized routine, and it is a sure-fire applause getter. I know you see that a lot in magic ads, but in this case it's true. I have never known an audience not to break into spontaneous applause at the climax of this routine, and when you see how carefully it is structured you will see why. Not hard to do, but calls for some presentational flair and confidence. (I perform this item on my 'Mind Power' lecture show video - see the non-magi Items To Buy page).

Thought Flash: a target is randomly thought of, and you cause an image of that target to appear on a previously blank piece of photographic film. This is the easiest and most practical of all 'mental photography' routines: you don't need a camera of any kind, it is totally future proof (do it no matter what they invent next), there are no consumables apart from a small piece of flash paper, and you can carry it around with you anywhere. The target can be anything you want: famous person, famous place, sports star, a selected brand or product... whatever.
No gimmicks in the hand, no chemicals, no timing, no double-exposures. It is a fun, thoroughly baffling routine using simple and familiar principles to devastating effect and it does get audible gasps. It really does! Perform it stage or close-up as you wish. Easy enough to do, no sleights, works every time. (I perform this item on my 'Mind Power' lecture show video)

The Subliminal Prediction: I'm genuinely proud of this. How can you put a writtten prediction on full and open display, right in front of the audience's eyes, such that not one person in the room will see it until you want them to? That's the intriguing premise behind the Subliminal Prediction, and you will love it! I suspect you will want to present this routine right away, just for the joy of that killer finish when you show that your prediction was right there, unconcealed and on open view the whole time - and yet no-one in the audience saw it!
The routine itself is essentially a straightforward prediction effect. Given 16 choices on open display, a spectator makes a series of simple selections so that 16 become 8 become 4, 2 and finally 1, which he is amazed to find matches your prediction. Strong features of this routine are that there is only one prediction (no multiple outs) and it is set in stone right from the start. The spectator's choices are all genuinely free, and there is definitely no equivocation or magician's choice at any point. You keep what he tells you to keep, you discard what he tells you to discard. Yet it still comes out right! Works every time, not hard to do. Close-up or stage. (I perform this item on my 'Mind Power' lecture show video)

Elephant From Matchbox: a silly name for a beautiful principle which lends itself to any number of different routines and presentations. You invite the spectator to mentally play any game which has a 50:50 outcome, such as tossing a coin. You write down your prediction using a bold marker pen on a writing pad. He tells you whether he's visualising heads or tails, and you instantly show that you predicted (or read his mind) correctly. Imagine being able to do this five times in a row and you can be 100% correct every time! (You can in fact be as wrong or as right as you want to be.)
This beautifully deceptive principle works with any 50:50 choice. Spectator mentally picks a card - red or black? Mentally plays roulette: odd or even? Mentally picks a famous person: male or female? And so on. He does it all in his head - no forces. You write your prediction first, you are always as right or as wrong as you want to be, and it is sure-fire. No nailwriters or band-writers or last-minute writing-in. No delay or awkward pauses, because there is nothing to fix or write-in. You show your written prediction immediately each time!

The No Method Drawing Duplication: exactly what it says! You will keep this wonderful approach to the Drawing Duplication effect in reserve for those times when your standard methods and the usual 'impromptu' methods are either unavailable or can't be used. The spectator makes a simple drawing, you tune in to his thoughts and attempt to draw the same thing. You can do this under test conditions exactly as if you could do it for real, because there is essentially no 'method' or 'trickery' for anyone to find! No billets, switches, peeks or glimpses; no impressions or forces; none of the usual tools of the trade.
Is it sure-fire? No, but it is sure-fire enough! I started using this approach just as an emergency parachute, but now it's actually my main method which I use almost to the exclusion of all others. You will get a creditable result 90% of the time, and if you want to rack that up to nearer 100% then I describe some simple additional ideas which enable you to do just that. Once you have learned this and have it in your head, you are ready to present it anywhere, any time.

Preludes: Preludes are a mentalist's best friend! Preludes are not a trick or a routine, but my favourite way to 'warm up' an informal or close-up audience using a few picture cards you can easily carry with you at all times. Call them mood-setters, ice-breakers, or just a great way to get yourself noticed and talked-about - you will soon learn never to leave home without them! Easy to make, and yet oh-so-useful to have with you when you want to make an impression as a man of mental talents and mystery

REVIEW:

Poorly produced booklet, especially when compared to Rowland’s previous releases. The contents however are interesting: the spoon bending comedy routine is described in full details and is certainly a winner in stage/parlor settings. The other effects are based on standard methods with fresh presentational twists – for example the NLP/motivational approach taken on some well-known visual illusions (Prelude cards), or the Universal Drawing add-ons (NMDD).

I unfortunately cannot ignore the recent exposure concerns (please refer to the relevant thread for further comments) and need to point out that the spiral binding format lends itself pretty well for photocopying purposes.

H.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ian Rowland’s “Mentalism Lecture Notes” (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL