The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July & August 2015 entrée: Jheff » » Dealing with those who want to believe » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
There are those who want to believe. And there are those whose desire is so great that, even after you tell them what you do is not real, they think you are lying and continue to believe that you are real--that you can actually read minds, predict the future, bend metal with your mind.

We know of the case of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who, after witnessing Houdini perform his walking through a brick wall illusion and after examining the stage and props, came to the conclusion that Houdini possessed special, spiritual powers and would not believe Houdini's denials. I know a performer who had a spectator approach him after a performance and say, "I know because we're in the Bible belt you can't say you're real, but I know you are," and nothing would convince her otherwise.

I'm sure you've come across such people. How do you deal with them?

(I have a related question to follow.)
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Oddly enough, I've not encountered this in quite awhile. At least, not specifically like that. This is mostly because I clearly state in my act what my "powers" are. I read minds and I control minds. I think those who want to believe are mostly for those who speak to the dead or predict the future or, perhaps even, metal bend. I don't do any of that in my act as I present myself as a high school teacher who uses my skills to educate and motivate my students. So I must do effects that I could use in the classroom or that would make sense for me to know how to do. I also clearly state that I use a "unique sense of intuition," though I'm deliberately vague on that phrase as I say no more.

I think the most often gotten response that I get after my act is, "Are you really a high school teacher?" Of course I answer yes, because I am. They follow that up with, "Your students are very lucky to have you" or "I wish I had someone like you for my teacher." I suppose that one can infer that I've convinced these people that I'm real. And, honestly, I do use my skills to educate and motivate, but just not quite the way that I explain it in my act. So perhaps I am real in that sense.

When I first started my mentalism shows, though, I did mention that I studied with the masters in India to learn my skills. Then, I got some who came up after and wanted to know more info about them as they were interested in following in my footsteps. I provided just the proper amount of BS and then changed the subject, but not long after I dropped the mention of that.

I will say this, though: If someone offered me a substantial amount of money to really read someone's mind or control it, such as the police to interrogate a subject, I would simply thank the person and inform him or her that what I do is merely entertainment.

- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
OK, here is the follow-up question: is it ethical to convince, or at least suggest to, spectators that you are actually able to read minds?

This is a subject that is too complicated to go into here in any detail, but it is something I think about often. I think disclaimers are dishonest. They only serve to satisfy the performer that he is not attempting to bamboozle the audience into thinking he has genuine powers. But regardless of what you tell the audience is the source of your powers, if you do your job well, spectators will come away thinking you can read minds.

You mention psychics as being in a different class, but actually the lines between mentalists, psychic entertainers and psychics are rather blurred.

Anyway, I don't think there are any definitive answers to these questions. I'm just curious as to what your views are.
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
One would think it's complicated, but I've simplified it for myself. It's certainly ethical to convince anyone that you can do anything, including speak to the dead, if it's in the name of entertainment. After all, actors have to convince you that they are all sorts of people and creatures and monsters and such while acting a role.

However, once it's no longer entertainment but business -- in other words, charging money for using your skill for something other than entertainment -- then I find that quite uncomfortable. I do know that some people truly believe that what they are doing is genuine because they believe cold reading skills are an inate gift and genuine talent. That's where there is a gray area. In addition, I believe that knowledgeable arot, palm, or other types of readers can be just as effective as any psychologist. There are good and bad readers and there are good and bad psychologists (oh, boy, do I know that!!!). If the reader or psychologist provides you with the personal care and healing that benefits you, then I have no problem. If not, change to another fast.

Psychics are in a different class, by the way, because people's perceptions of what a psychic does are different than what a mentalist or a magician does.

Thanks for asking,
Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Interesting observations. I would posit that psychics are not so much in a class by themselves. One area where psychics and mentalists overlap is predictions. There was an article just in yesterdays's New York Times about psychics going to jail for bilking their customers of large sums of money. They were being charged with grand larceny, and not fraud, although there are laws on the books--but these days not enforced--dealing with that. A member of the parole board was quoted as saying to one of these psychics, mockingly, something to the effect, "What am I thinking?" and "How will this turn out?" So I don't think they are perceived so differently. And as you point out, many mentalists do private readings, where they function essentially as psychics.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July & August 2015 entrée: Jheff » » Dealing with those who want to believe » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL