The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Here we go again (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
NotSoWise
View Profile
New user
victoria,bc
73 Posts

Profile of NotSoWise
D'oh
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
He's a great guy and always pushing the envelope. I really enjoy going to watch his show in Baltimore. Best wishes to him to get well soon.
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Missing the point I feel!

Oh well

To quote:"rushed to the hospital while trying to escape the same water torture stunt that nearly killed him in June." So this illusionist is playing at dangerous escapes and it hospitalised him once ... so lets do it again. I was reading Banachek's Facebook post and it is clear that even some of the crew are not happy with the escape as is.... pushing hte envelope is OK ...... but not if it's failing and causing others issues.

I know as I click submit some will not get the point and that saddens me - but not surprises me!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yep your right Dave, heard about this idiot from my family who live in Baltimore. Should compare to the idiot over here with another non escape and failure giving him press. To look at the way this makes others in the game look is so sad as we are judged by the company we keep.

So to be correct he should not bill himself as an escapologist, he should start a new trend with the tag line this escapologist isn't cos he can't get out so come see him fail.

Another farce just like the Briton farce.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Much more of this, and local governments might start implementing stunt-act bans.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
That's a concern of course!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Remember Steve, one EA had his life insurance canceled when his insurance company saw him do the same stunt as Spencer. Only his was a complete success. Don't think that stuff like that doesn't happen.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Alright, first of all, he's not an idiot.

For instance: Spencer performed the same inverted straight jacket escape for like 5 years at his bar. Perfectly safe, no problem. I've seen him perform it many times. One day the ****ty construction in Baltimore gave way and he landed on his head, had to be rushed to the hospital. Was that his fault? No, I don't think so. Not unless he's supposed to be superman and x ray vision the support beams. It was an accident and clear to me that not much could have been done to prevent it.

Don't be so quick to rush to judgement. We don't know what went wrong and we can sit here and say he was an idiot, but there may be more at play than we know. All underwater escapes are dangerous and many people have been almost killed by them, including several current and former members of this forum.

We can all monday morning quarterback this. But trust me when I tell you he is a very talented magician and a great escape artist. No need to shove his face in it and blame him for being careless or making us all look bad.
-Max Maven
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, magicbymccauley wrote:
All underwater escapes are dangerous and many people have been almost killed by them, including several current and former members of this forum.

Several? like how many and who?

So what does the public think here ....... well here are some of the statements that real people from the public made on the CBS web site:-

"ckirmser • 4 hours ago
Another well-earned Darwin Award waiting to happen.

Illusionist?

Where was the illusion? That this idiot has a properly functioning brain?"

"Elmo • 5 hours ago
Come on, buddy! Third time is a charm! But if you fail and die in the process we'll just file you under, "too stupid to live"."

And a more cryptic one that made me chuckle....

"Keep Honkin, I'm Reloading • 13 hours ago
There's no lesson to be learned the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the nuts."

This is on this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Banachek/posts/910404555719084 (he is looking a bit old!)

SH "had another close one today"

just sayin....
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Well, I'm sure that we all praised Spencer when he was on AGT last year, and he did well.

The problem with these two recent "fails" is that they are generally perceived to be cheap PR stunts for Criss Angel's Show...and/or that this kid is an accident-prone klutz.

I don't know the truth....but either way, its not positive for Escapology.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Hahaha of course I didn't see it, but my family live in Baltimore and informed me by phone that there local magic man known as the idiot (not my words but that of the general public) had made a fool of himself again. It was brought up because I had told them about the buried alive stunt that wasn't over here. One part of the family live in savernna park the others just outside Annapolis so they are aware of what's afoot in Baltimore. So you say he is a wonderful performer other general public say he is an idiot. Think I know who I would tend to believe as the general public pay performers wages.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, Moxahalla wrote:

cheap PR stunts for Criss Angel's Show...and/or that this kid is an accident-prone klutz.

Neither very good things!

Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, Moxahalla wrote:

either way, its not positive for Escapology.

Nope

and notice how it seems to be reported "Illusionist" or "magician" its never just escape artist?

Why does this bother me so?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, Cliffg37 wrote:
Remember Steve, one EA had his life insurance canceled when his insurance company saw him do the same stunt as Spencer. Only his was a complete success. Don't think that stuff like that doesn't happen.

I know, that's why I would privately show my insurance agents & adjusters the modus operandi and safety measures of my "death-defying" stunt.
- Albert Camus
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, Cliffg37 wrote:

I know, that's why I would privately show my insurance agents & adjusters the modus operandi and safety measures of my "death-defying" stunt.

You are willing to show people the workings of your stunning c .... I mean cunning stunt? Smile

sorry - cant help it, I'm a bit me!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
If they affect my medical and/or funeral expenses--yes.
- Albert Camus
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yes I got that I was just being an *** so I could make a carp joke! Smile Smile Smile Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Oooo the Café has added "a-Dollarsign-dollarsign" (a$ $) to its profanity blocker well French Connection United Kingdom me!
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Ian McColl: Nearly died while doing a milk can escape.

Gunnarson: Nearly died in underwater coffin escape.

Kristen Johnson: Nearly died in underwater tube/handcuff escape.

Michael Griffin: Nearly drown after hitting his head on a post of a dock while doing a chained river jump.

I don't think any of these people are idiots. I don't know why you guys thing Spencer is an idiot when all these people did the exact same thing.

Maybe it's best not to be so hasty to mete out derision and judgement when you don't know the details of what happened.

Water escapes are dangerous. VERY dangerous. Even with extreme precautions taken. Even with legendary and skilled and careful escape artists. Water escapes are more dangerous than most people realize. You can drown in two inches of water in your bathtub, wrapping yourself with constraints underwater is bound to cause accidents.

But you know: kudos to you guys for piling on and attacking a guy who's had a horrible accident.
-Max Maven
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
No one here is calling Spencer an "idiot". ...but the PUBLIC is.

Failing twice within 3 months time with the same escape...

Just read the general public's negative "comments" about him, beneath most of the news stories about this latest failure:

>>>>maybe someone should tell him he's not a good scape artist...

>>>>It's happened before. Color me skeptical.

>>>> "Officials were unable to say if the incident, which occurred before a noontime audience, was a hoax or an accident."

...Put him back in the tank and wait another couple minutes, then you'll know.

>>>>I assume everyone at a Criss Angel show will become visibly distressed at some point.

>>>>Maybe this guy should stop doing this "trick" since he can't seem to get it right.

>>>>It's amazing what people believe to be real.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Here we go again (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL