The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Unbound : Gimmickless Invisible Deck by Darryl Davis (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2015, MagicBrent wrote:
Is the use of "math" with the original concept eliminated in this version?

I'm sure it is. The pack is shuffled and it looks like Specky has a choice of about 10 cards from which to "think of" one. Personally, I've never used math with an ID, anyway.

When I was a kid and had my first ID, I tossed it aside because of the math. It wasn't because I was bad with math. I was very GOOD with math. I was just afraid of making a mistake in front of people. Kid stress, you know?

It wasn't until I was in my thirties that I realized that no math was needed. I can't really describe this in Café Code, but all I need to know is the suit to pick up the deck. Then I just look at the faces. There's no federal law mandating a certain order the cards must be in. Trust me; I checked.

The ID has been one of my "every time" effects for a few decades, now. And to think.....I wasted those first fifteen or so years.
kollo
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of kollo
I really don't understand the effect...
A spectator sees cards, names one of them and a little bit later the already seen card is reversed?
So... they will think the magician has secretly turned the card.... which is what he did?!?
That does not make sense to me.
An ID does.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, kollo wrote:
A spectator sees cards, names one of them and a little bit later the already seen card is reversed?
So... they will think the magician has secretly turned the card.... which is what he did?!?
An ID does.

That's not 100% correct.

The spectator shuffles the cards

The magician spreads the deck and the just think of one card.

The magician squares up the deck.

The magician ask them to name the card that they are just thinking of which the magician hasn't known until this time

The magician then (without any moves) spreads the deck and it the only card reversed in the deck.

The end.

It's the exact same effect as ID without the gimmick.
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
I think you missed a few steps in the description Smile
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
I think you missed a few steps in the description Smile
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Had a midnight breakfast with Allan Ackerman and Darryl Davis a few months ago, very intellectual and on point with their thoughts on magic. Darryl is a creative and a great performer, don't hesitate about picking it up Smile
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Or spend your money on Las Vegas Card Expert by Allan Ackerman dvd and get this effect and a whole lot more for the same price

My favourite impromptu invisible deck routine is the Invisible Card by Greg Gleason
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Simon Aronson also has a somewhat related trick called "The Invisible Card" found in Try The Impossible (I think). In that effect any card is named, made "invisible" by the magician, the cards are very fairly shown and the named card is absent. Then with no moves the cards are spread and the named card is now reversed in the deck. Uses a MD.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
956 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, VanishingInc wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, kollo wrote:
An ID does.

That's not 100% correct.

The spectator shuffles the cards

The magician spreads the deck and the just think of one card.

The magician squares up the deck.

The magician ask them to name the card that they are just thinking of which the magician hasn't known until this time

The magician then (without any moves) spreads the deck and it the only card reversed in the deck.

The end.

It's the exact same effect as ID without the gimmick.

I would not say it is identical to ID without the gimmick. Because with ID you can ask the spectator to name their thought of card before you handle the deck,and then remove the cards showing one card turned face down.It's their thought of card. But not with Unbound as you have to handle the cards spread them ask when they have seen a card and got one in mind,this then narrows down the target cards you then use the method to show their card reversed. But saying that I think Darryl and Alan have done a great job and I will be getting this alternative ID (unbound) great for impromptu situations with any deck of cards. That's what also makes this different than the original ID deck.

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
The classic invisible deck presentation CANNOT be used with this method. That the spec reverses a card in an invisible deck, the deck materialises and their card is shown reversed. So I don't understand how it can be claimed this is an umgimmicked ID. It's misleading imho.

Maybe the creator or producer could explain?
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Am I the only one who thinks that these single trick dvd releases is starting to get a bit ridiculous?

When people first began to release their material on these type of single trick dvd projects the effect was often some kind of bigger effect, a closer that you could use to close your show type of effect, which really needed a detailed long explanation, or an effect that included a gimmick of some sort.

Now it seems like every single trick goes straight to a single trick dvd. I am not saying that this is a bad trick, but is it really worth 25 bucks?
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
Lord_wallmotto

Alas, the focus nowadays is on making money rather than doing the right thing, This trick should be one of many in a book or DVD for the same price as the single release. When I was a dealer I would have warned my customers against supporting this 'one trick for too high a price' trend. But as long as the naive buy in this fashion the practice will continue.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
One of the great things about the classic ID is being able to involve several spectators in the presentation.
For a small group, one person could select red or black, the next a low or high card, etc. Finally reaching a selection of a single card.
This gets several people involved. That was one of the things I enjoyed most about ID and it could turn a small card trick into something much larger.
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
Agree.

I would be much happier if this was sold as a $3-$5 download and WASN'T referred to as a gimmickless ID because it's not.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You'd actually go to the bother of downloading this? I believe this is a contender for the biggest magic ripoff of 2015.
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
You might just be right there Pegasus.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, gtx magic wrote:

I would not say it is identical to ID without the gimmick. Because with ID you can ask the spectator to name their thought of card before you handle the deck,and then remove the cards showing one card turned face down.It's their thought of card. But not with Unbound as you have to handle the cards spread them ask when they have seen a card and got one in mind,this then narrows down the target cards you then use the method to show their card reversed. But saying that I think Darryl and Alan have done a great job and I will be getting this alternative ID (unbound) great for impromptu situations with any deck of cards. That's what also makes this different than the original ID deck.

Graham

I agree 100% Graham. It's not identical to an Invisible deck, it's a very practical impromptu variation. On one side, you can't have a spectator just nane any card, they need to pick one. On the other side, it's free of needing a gimmicked deck. Compromises and advantages.... Great bit if knowledge to have available when you need to work without any kit.

The teaching is of a high standard too. Darryl goes over everything in details and is quite funny at times. A well produced professional release.

Dominic
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
Lord_wallmotto

Alas, the focus nowadays is on making money rather than doing the right thing, This trick should be one of many in a book or DVD for the same price as the single release. When I was a dealer I would have warned my customers against supporting this 'one trick for too high a price' trend. But as long as the naive buy in this fashion the practice will continue.

I agree.

I would like to add that I do think that the trick itself is a quite good trick and Daryl seems like a really great guy and a very charismatic performer, I really like his style.

I just don´t think that the price is justified and I do not like the trend that I have seen lately(Im sure that it has been going on for a while without me knowing) which is that tricks that a few years ago would have been a part of a multiple trick dvd or book now gets their own release.

If this was a 5 or 10 bucks download at Penguin, I would have rated it way higher as a product.
tonysamos1
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of tonysamos1
Hey guys it's Darryl Davis here. Figure I'd chime in! I want to explain the price point a bit with you guys and why it's not just a download. It is a dvd but only because there's too much content for a download. we have the basic handling plus a bunch of other handlings. one where you can actually have the cards in the box,equivoque a suit, they name any card in that suit, you pull the cards out and can spread immediately to show that card reversed. (It's actually my favorite handling. It's just not impromptu but still using regular cards and is almost identical to the original ID where you can involve multiple people and do the whole invisible deck process) also there are tons of interviews and guests teaching their handlings. And Alan has a half hour section where he teaches his newest version of ackermans opener using the improvements ( it's like three effects in one) Alan also has a talk on the faro shuffle. Alan's parts alone are worth it I think haha but yeah we definitely put a lot of work into this . I know what it's like to buy a DVD and realize that the performer released this effect with out much thought or effort. I want you guys to know that I f that was the case here's do it was just a release for money I wouldn't have spent two years working on this trick spending night after night with Alan and others exploring every route of this effect. There's so much content on here it's a bit ridiculous. II'm positive anyone who does buy it will enjoy it and learn a lot! Also this is originally elmsleys and then later improved by Ackerman. However things have been changed quite a bit. One huge advantage being you no longer have to turn your back to the spectators once they see a card. Everything can be done right under their nose and done so invisibly where they can burn your hands beginning to end. Thanks guys! Cheers!

P.s. PEGASUS! I think you have to actually spend your money on something to call it a contender for the biggest ripoff of 2015. I do appreciate the nomination though! I also admire your gusto and the fact that your willing to jump to conclusions so quickly
tonysamos1
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of tonysamos1
Also! No memorized deck for the handling you guys saw. And they actually do see all the cards with wording you just restrict them down.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Unbound : Gimmickless Invisible Deck by Darryl Davis (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL