The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Unbound : Gimmickless Invisible Deck by Darryl Davis (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Lol... I have not taken it so I cannot say if it is good or not... of course, I have my own idea but maybe that it is a great product... I would be curious to know the review of whom has bought it...
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
I've got the dvd and I don't have a tendency of giving good reviews where they are not justified. In this case however I'm going to chime in because I feel like overall the product is very well done. The teaching is really well filmed, quite thorough and there are several variations, subtleties, and other ideas included which mean that for me, it feels like money well spent. Its quite clear that Daryl loves this and has worked hard on it for a while before releasing. At about 2 hours in total its certainly not been rushed or sloppily done! The addition of having Allan Ackerman join in for a rather chunky segment where he discusses the trick and teaches a great version of his own which includes 2 more phases of "wow", (which is a tour-de-force in itself) is absolutely great, and certainly adds to the overall value. It was great to see him sharing his enthusiasm for what Daryl has added to his and Elmsley's work on the trick.

On the main trick itself, I feel like it plays just as strong, if not a little stronger than the gimmicked invisible deck, and some people here are perhaps over-thinking the differences. A "thought of" card is how the layman will remember it, so the selection procedure flies right by. To my mind, that is hardly a negative when you think of everything that is gained with this version. i.e. Being able to hand the deck out for shuffling (and examination) before the trick, and not having to carry around a gimmicked deck, but STILL being able to perform this wonderful plot in an entirely convincing way. It's a wonderful thing. Also, if performed properly, I really don't think anyone's going to walk away thinking "well he did a funny move". It really is quite magical.

My only gripe is possibly due to my lack of practice. I've pulled the main sleight off with little practice, but only with a new deck. With a worn deck I'm having a few niggles but I think that could be ironed out eventually. Only time will tell. Perhaps Daryl can shed some light on this? That said, it's not a really tough thing to get to grips with, but it is a little fiddly. I like sure-fire sleights, and so I'm going to really put the time into practicing this, but I think beginners should be warned: it's not going to come with just a couple of hours practice. It will require a bit of time and thought.

Overall, great quality teaching, solid production, a great piece of magic, and without the need for the gimmick! Add all the extra ideas and Allan's contribution and I think the price point isn't perfect but it's certainly not a "rip-off". I do think the easiness has perhaps been slightly exaggerated, but for such a strong, totally impromptu effect, the practice is going to be worth it. Thanks for sharing this, Daryl. It's really fun to practice and I think you did a great job with the teaching and other additions on the dvd.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Hey friends!

We are doing a Q & A with Darryl later this week, Is there any questions you would like us to ask that haven't been answered yet?

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Thanks for the nice review... I will waiting to read more...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
This has been an interesting read. I fell off my chair when I came to the part where this effect is an "overpriced" $25, however. Sorry folks, but I go back to a time when it wasn't possible to sit on one's butt and peruse the world of knowledge. When learning magic was hard, gum-shoe work with lots of dead ends and not a thing to learn or buy until you left the house and went searching. $25? Hell, I spent that on bus tokens, not to mention the time and effort.

Frankly, if this effect is the real deal, I wish they would charge a coupla hundred for it- keep daddy's boys from getting it for doing nothing and spending the next few days exposing it on the tube...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
This has been an interesting read. I fell off my chair when I came to the part where this effect is an "overpriced" $25, however. Sorry folks, but I go back to a time when it wasn't possible to sit on one's butt and peruse the world of knowledge. When learning magic was hard, gum-shoe work with lots of dead ends and not a thing to learn or buy until you left the house and went searching. $25? Hell, I spent that on bus tokens, not to mention the time and effort.

Frankly, if this effect is the real deal, I wish they would charge a coupla hundred for it- keep daddy's boys from getting it for doing nothing and spending the next few days exposing it on the tube...

Wise words.. I totally agree with you, especially on the tube stuff.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
What is the difference between this and Singularity by Alvo Stockman?
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
I find it interesting that people are saying things like 'this is good for those times when you don't have your ID, or you're caught without your kit'... So, when are those times exactly?
As a pro surely you turn up to a booking loaded up to perform. If you're going to a meeting with a booker/client and you know you'll need to perform you take your 'kit' with you. What possible professional scenario is there where you don't have your ID and yet another deck is there? The answer to that is in your friend or family's house, so it's more for the hobbiest really. There's nothing wrong with that but please drop the palaver about being a pro who is caught without their 'kit'. Sheesh. Smile
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, tonysamos1 wrote:
we have the basic handling plus a bunch of other handlings. one where you can actually have the cards in the box,

Thanks for the info on that.
I think pulling it out of the box is the gold standard for the ID. Glad to hear you provided a solution for this.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
92 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
I've been reading some of the posts on here and Darryl mentioned that this isn't available in a download. But it's actually available in both DVD and digital format (download). But the price points are the exact same which for the life of me I can never figure out why companies do that. If it's a DVD, it should be priced higher because of the cost of manufacturing and shipping, if it is a download, the cost should be less for the consumer because they are not getting a physical product. Also, I see that most product releases now are single tricks at higher price points. Probably due to the fact that the magic market it's in a slight decline and creators make higher yields on single effects vs multiple effect. Especially, if that single effect packs a big punch they can dedicate more time to the effect. But I agree with some of the people on here, most single effect tricks should be sold much less than multi-effect tricks. This would be a great download at $9.99-$14.99. I'm betting it would sell more units and help deter piracy. The more money your product cost, the more someone will just wait to download it for free online. But if it's at a reasonable price point they will pay for it. That's why I love Justin Miller. He totally gets it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like my videos!

email: inventivemagic@gmail.com
YT: www.youtube.com/InventiveMagic
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/inventivemagic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrianAMelchiorre
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, Zuke wrote:
I find it interesting that people are saying things like 'this is good for those times when you don't have your ID, or you're caught without your kit'... So, when are those times exactly?
As a pro surely you turn up to a booking loaded up to perform. If you're going to a meeting with a booker/client and you know you'll need to perform you take your 'kit' with you. What possible professional scenario is there where you don't have your ID and yet another deck is there? The answer to that is in your friend or family's house, so it's more for the hobbiest really. There's nothing wrong with that but please drop the palaver about being a pro who is caught without their 'kit'. Sheesh. Smile

Exactly! It is like going to a gig and leaving your pants at home!
Smile
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Acecardician wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, Zuke wrote:

Exactly! It is like going to a gig and leaving your pants at home!
Smile

Depends on the type of gig you're doing. Smile
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Hey friends!

I recently did an interview with Darryl about Unbound!

You'll see a FULL performance of a version that wasn't in a trailer plus he answers a lot of questions for you guys!

Also, here's a great thing: we have worked with Darryl, and Darryl Williams to give you a free download when you purchase "Unbound" from Vanishing Inc. The video download will be automatically added to your order and is a clever twist on the Any Card At Any Number. The download is so good that VI will be producing it as a single product later on!
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
This is too much work for this effect. Since it's not an authentic ID free selection routine, why not just perform one of the other million effects out there that "almost" recreate the invisible deck but with a MUCH easier method? I mean "In-visible" by Albert Ho isn't the cleanest of things out there, but it impresses a spectator the same as this cumbersome effect. In fact...I bet you could all improvise something similar to the ID that would have them walk away just as fulfilled as this effect. And frankly, a deck switch with the old standby deck would make you sweat way less. This effect is like watching one of those NY Coin Seminar DVDs, where I just know I'm never going to put in the time to learn it when there are so much easier ways to get it done. It's Daryl's 3 fly when they sell shells. Why? For whose benefit?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
No two performers are exactly alike. It's fine to say that you won't be buying something but don't make it sound like something couldn't possibly be of value because it doesn't fit your needs.

I'm constantly looking for ways to do more with less. I think the standard Invisible Deck is pretty close to perfect but I'd still love to be able to do it ungimmicked just as I see a lot of value in knowing an ungimmicked Three Fly.

Contrary to what some may think workers do sometimes find themselves without their "kit". It's a great feeling to know I can entertain with just a deck of cards and few coins. On one occasion my magic case was stolen and on occasion I've been called upon to do an unexpected show when away from home.

If a trick doesn't fit your criteria don't buy t. But at the same time consider the fact that all tricks aren't designed with you in mind. There are thousands of tricks being successfully performed by others that you wouldn't or couldn't make work for you.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
In my mind, the ID is the ultimate "get out of jail free" card. I would never plan it as part of a set, but I always have it in my pocket just in case...
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2015, MagieFraudster wrote:
In my mind, the ID is the ultimate "get out of jail free" card. I would never plan it as part of a set, but I always have it in my pocket just in case...

Which you cannot do with this effect.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2015, Robvs wrote:
This is too much work for this effect. Since it's not an authentic ID free selection routine, why not just perform one of the other million effects out there that "almost" recreate the invisible deck but with a MUCH easier method? I mean "In-visible" by Albert Ho isn't the cleanest of things out there, but it impresses a spectator the same as this cumbersome effect. In fact...I bet you could all improvise something similar to the ID that would have them walk away just as fulfilled as this effect. And frankly, a deck switch with the old standby deck would make you sweat way less. This effect is like watching one of those NY Coin Seminar DVDs, where I just know I'm never going to put in the time to learn it when there are so much easier ways to get it done. It's Daryl's 3 fly when they sell shells. Why? For whose benefit?

Totally agree Rob.
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
"I mean "In-visible" by Albert Ho isn't the cleanest of things out there, but it impresses a spectator the same as this cumbersome effect"

Really? lol! Wow. Clearly we're dealing with a well read, experienced card man here. In all seriousness though, sir.. to compare Ho's incarnation to Daryl's shows a distinct lack of understanding of what sets them apart. Ho's is painful to watch, and is not a thought of card. Daryl's is slick.. to the point.. is a genuinely "thought of card" variation which is well presented, and well taught. After having now put in the practise time myself, I can personally attest to the fact that it's not "cumbersome" at all, nor is it tough to master. Unless of course you find performing intermediate sleights cumbersome, intimidating, not worth the time.. etc. In which case, by all means go the easier, lazier route of choosing mediocre variations of well known effects over the much stronger, more direct ones. Why bother learning any sleights other than a basic double lift and a double-undercut anyway, right? Anything else is just.. cumbersome.
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, TX
250 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, Acecardician wrote:
What is the difference between this and Singularity by Alvo Stockman?

I'd say that the most important difference between singularity and this one is that the bulk of the dirty work happens much earlier in the trick, and I actually think that the angles on this one are much better. The methods are completely different. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that this trick needs to either be a closer/stand-alone trick, or it must be followed by a Triumph efect. The reason is that you end up a bit dirty at the end, and the Triumph effect helps with the clean up. Also, you can display the deck when you're finished and give the appearance of the deck being completely clean and (to their minds) examinable, you just can't do another trick if you don't clean up with this triumph effect as of now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Unbound : Gimmickless Invisible Deck by Darryl Davis (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL