The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Where do you get your silk in egg gimmick? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
I have been doing silk in egg for a while. Love the trick! However, the egg gimmick I have had all really small and the color is always off, can someone recommend a good place to get a decent egg gimmick?
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
The one I use is from Hobson's Egg Bag. Just bore a good size hole in the egg.
Ricky
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I own the Vikings eggs; it looks exactly like the real eggs.

http://www.vikingmagic.com/Egg
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Then again, you can always take a real egg and turn it into a gimmicked egg, following the directions by Jolyon Jenkins in Mini-Mysteries Book 4 on The Magic Nook.
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Thanks for the resources guys!
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Found this thread on magic Café: http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......&forum=6
I think I will make my own. Really grateful for everyone sharing information.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Interesting posts!

I bought 4 "Sucker Egg Trick" FEKES (not GIMMICKS!) in 1955, from the late Harold Sterling (Sterling Magic) in Detroit. They were the FIRST FEKES made from r**l egg shells that I had ever seen. I think that they were $1.00 EACH!

I'm NOW USING my LAST ONE!!! I'm noe 84, and retired! I think I have a lifetime "supply"!!!

Dick

P.S. A GIMMICK is a s*cr*t d*v*c*, NOT SEEN by the spectator. A FEKE is seen, but app**rs to be s*m*th*ng else.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Yes a Feke is what I am going to make! thanks for clarifying the definition.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi jiayi!

You speak excellent "English" for a "foreigner"! (hee hee)

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (I can drive south all day, and enter Canada, eh! (Detroit/Windsor)

When I started out, "the" fekes were of celluloid (at least those that I saw, and had). They were a bit translucent. A red silk somewhat changed the "exterior" shade!

Dan Ford WAS making the fekes from real hen fruit. (He's on the Café, occasionally).

I only do an occasional show now, so, mine will probably last "usque ad aeternam"!

I think Tarbell titled the EFFECT, "Sucker EGGSPLANATION"!

Good luck with your project!
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Another vote for the Viking eggs. They make them in brown too which is superb as white eggs are extremely rare in the UK
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
If you are in the UK I can highly recommend Dave Bonsall at Prop Dogs eggs.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Another vote for prop dog's eggs!
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Stevens magic had a great one. I think it may be a Viking egg.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Avoid the "ZIMMER" EGG!!!

Someone gave me one (He didn't like it.) One look at the feke , and, I could see "why". I figure that ya might be able to insert a 10" silk into it (with a shoe horn!)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I originally used the Sterling made from real eggs. I loved using it. When disaster struck, I dropped it and it cracked.

I later found and used the Tenyo version, it is very nice, but unless you use a white silk, will show show through. So I bought some egg shell white spray paint, wiped the egg with alcohol spray painted it. Now I could any color silk I desired. The Tenyo takes a 15 inch silk just fine.

Finally, one Easter season, I seen a white plastic egg in the candy rack, bought 2, went home, they were a hard plastic, not the shiny soft hinged plastic you see today. Glued the halves together with liquid model glue, then took a nickel, it is the correct size, traced it and cut out and sanded the edge, and half seam ridge. Then painted it egg shell white. It has been working for me for a very long time now.

Never liked the heavy plaster eggs from Viking. just a personal choice since my 1st experience was with the Sterling Egg, no longer available. Darn! Some how they found a way to put a smooth yellow plastic outer shell over a real egg, and paint it egg shell white. I only know it was a perfect looking egg, and the yellow plastic plugged the hole where they blew the egg out. You could see the spot of yellow on the inside of the shell.

There is a real egg fake on the market from Tirofog Magic. They call their eggs "Eggs-actly" eggs. They make all sizes from small to Jumbo eggs. The inside is a rosin material to reinforce the egg shell. I have one with the hole and one without for Malini Egg Bag use.

http://www.tirofog.com/index.php/eggs-actly-egg.html at $14.50 they are worth a try. I see the raised the price from $12.50 after some 20 years.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Bill's post just above woke up my memory "bank". The late Sid Lorraine, wrote up his "method" of preparing an egg.

First chance I get, I'll try to dig thru my file of lecture notes, for Sid's notes If I can locate them, I'll try to write up his idea.
nkwmagic
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
39 Posts

Profile of nkwmagic
I am looking for a higher quality silk to egg that is quite sturdy, best that it can survive a drop on a floor.

Will the higher quality gimmicks in the market (Viking / Bob Sanders / Propdog) be sturdy enough? I know that they are all fantastic in terms of look and feel.

Or if sturdiness is a requirement, I should go back to the plastic ones like Tenyo? Thanks!
Check out Cadenza, a highly rated, rare marked deck:
https://legendsplayingcards.com/products/cadenza

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/nkw.playing.cards/
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
I have used Bob Sanders for years now - really love his silk to egg. Great quality and super durable.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Second Bob Sanders' eggs. Great product!
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I also use Bob Sander's eggs, they are very nice and look and feel real with a nice big hole in them.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Where do you get your silk in egg gimmick? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL