The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Explaining what is an illusion (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Blackington
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Blackington
I'd say that anyone (layperson) who watches a magic show can tell themselves that it 's not magic, because INTELLECTUALLY they don't believe that "magic" was the cause of what happened when the magician performed the magical act.

However, the intellect always tries to protect the emotions. But, if the audience's intellect becomes trapped by various circumstantial factors that are intentionally built into the effect, their intellect will be cornered into believing that the impossible has happened. At that point their attention will shift away from examining it "intellectually", and they'll begin to believe it "emotionally". The impact of magic is on the emotions, and that's when/where the illusion takes place. It is only when the audience is forced to surrender their intellect, and admit on a gut level that there is no explanation for what they've witnessed, that the magician can reach their emotions, to create the illusion.

I think all magic should aim for creating this kind of outcome. The creation of an illusion is an art form. With practice it can be done.
-Chris
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
I always say, "An illusion is something that looks real but is not."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
See my post of June 16, 2016!!! You are only explaining HALF OF IT!

I think that too many people respond to "something" on a thread, without reading the entire thread.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Explaining what is an illusion (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL