The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » So... I have this like-new Original Rings-N-Things Change Bag... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Anyone have any info on this?
I recently happened across an original Rings-n-things (St. Louis) change bag. Original box, original instructions, and in pristine condition. But judging by the instruction paper, this puppy ain't new (although the bag *seems* new). It's like someone bought it, but then it sat unused for decades in the back of a closet.

I'm no historian.

So my main question is: Do I have something of value here, or just another $10 change bag? I couldn't find anything about this item on the interwebs, and I emailed RNT II, but haven't heard back from 'em yet, so thought I'd check with the far-reaching Café here.

Some quick snapshots:
http://1drv.ms/1ROLEf4

Thanks!

-Nathan Allen
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I remember selling a bunch of these for hollywood Magic in the late 1970's and 80's. They are better quality than most we were selling and they had a higher price. They made two sizes I seem to recall and there was about a 10 dollar difference between them. Maybe 25 for the small and 35 dollars retail for the larger....( or maybe it was $30 and 45?) This looks like the smaller one.

It would not be collectible on the par of P & L ,but it's a quality item for certain and worth using if you have the need...
visit me @ JNealShow.com
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Appreciate that, thanks. To the "tricks for sale" forum I go.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
WOW! I missed that totally, to busy working I guess. I never knew they made them, the owner liked to mix it up, as he got easily tired of making the same products all the time, even when it was what brought the money in to pay the rent.

The problem with value of an item, is it all depends on who want it. As a general rule, I don't think the Change bag I an item wanted by most people these days. It is all about "natural" ordinary magic props these days.

I have a P&L, so that is the only reason I would not be interested in a R&T model.

If you appreciate quality metal work, then it is worth something. The change bag is used by children magician's more then any prop in magic today. So there is a market, but as we all know, magicians want quality, but not willing to pay for it.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I remember an old gag used to 'justify' a change bag:

the performer would introduce the bag as the kind that churches used to make collections in.
The performer would then say he should probably contribute something and in digging thru' his pockets would remove a small coin such as a dime or penny.
Now he would drop it in the bag. If the trick about to be performed was using the change bag to vanish a silk scarf, he would put the scarf in the bag, 'cause it to vanish.
And when he turned the bag inside out to prove the point...the dime (or penny) would drop to the ground.

The inference is it was the same coin and therefore the didn't do anything 'tricky' so the scarf must have really vanished!

I think I got that bit from Charlie Miller himself!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » So... I have this like-new Original Rings-N-Things Change Bag... (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL