The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is this morally wrong (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Danny, it amazes me that you don't find anything wrong with someone taking someone else's work for free, but think that calling them on stealing from you is bullying and wrong.

Why don't I have a right to give you my opinion on what you do? How is it bullying to disagree and state my opinion that I think it is wrong?
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Hey now, you're twisting my words around Pop. You have all the rights to state your opinion as I do mine. However, you have gone farther by judging someone's actions as immoral implying that they are not adhering to a magicians code of ethics that never states anything about such an issue. A code that seems can easily be added to by anyone who disagree's with another person's action without having a logical, justified reasoning that isn't biased or hyprocritical.

If I buy a dvd from you, you no longer own it, I do. If you are going to sell products it's good business to understand consumer rights and buyers rights of sale. I find it unethical business practice to ignore consumer rights for petty financial gain regardless of any hyprocritical reasoning.

I am not the one trying to convince and dictate what the morals are within the magic community, I am simply pointing out that I disagree based on the hyprocritical answers given. That's my right isn't it. Or does that right only apply to those that agree with your opinion.

The end of the day, those who back up there magic dvd's and sell the originals will still do what they do, and magic will still continue to be what it is, the most deceptive art in the entertainment business. I will still live by my set of morals and code of ethics, you will live according to yours and we will live happily ever after. Smile
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually now that you are called on the behavior you are twisting your own words.

How is anything any of us said bullying in any way?

Funny now how those who disagree with you ate hypocrites.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Simply stating an opinion,even of another person isn't bullying. Going to the man's house and physically threatening him or verbally berating him would be.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, Pop Haydn wrote:
Danny, it amazes me that you don't find anything wrong with someone taking someone else's work for free, but think that calling them on stealing from you is bullying and wrong.

This is a false statment, also considered twisting my words. An unintelligent attack on my character without evidence or logical reasoning. It's a tactic sometimes used when someone can no longer defend their argument and attempt to change or divert the topic.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Simply stating an opinion,even of another person isn't bullying. Going to the man's house and physically threatening him or verbally berating him would be.

Calling someone's actions immoral isn't an opinion it's a judgment. Verbal berating and threats do actually happen.

My opinion is the excuses given are hypocritical. Something clearly evident in some of the past posts. It's not me who can't give an answer without being hypocritical.

There has still be no good logical reasoning why this person's actions should be considered immoral by the majority of the magic community.

He didn't steal anything. He didn't break any Café rules, isn't breaking any laws, and isn't breaking any code of ethics within the magic community that I have ever heard of before.

For me to adhere to any set of morals or ethics there must be a logical reasoning for it, and it can't be hypocritical.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2015, Danny Kazam wrote:
The guy with the law degree is actually wrong. I have to assume it's not his field of expertise and was giving his opinion rather that reciting the law that supports his opinion. ...

Sorry, but no. It is perfectly legal to make a back-up copy of a DVD for your own use. But if you sell the original, your back-up copy is NO LONGER a back-up copy. It is an illegal copy.

Of course it would be very difficult to prove that someone was selling original DVDs and keeping illegal copies, but in the case cited by the OP, they copyist freely admitted what he was doing.

And, like I said, it's illegal. If you sell the original you are no longer entitled to have a copy.

You glossed this over.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
No I didn't. Still waiting for a response.

Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Danny Kazam wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2015, Danny Kazam wrote:
The guy with the law degree is actually wrong. I have to assume it's not his field of expertise and was giving his opinion rather that reciting the law that supports his opinion. ...

Sorry, but no. It is perfectly legal to make a back-up copy of a DVD for your own use. But if you sell the original, your back-up copy is NO LONGER a back-up copy. It is an illegal copy.

Of course it would be very difficult to prove that someone was selling original DVDs and keeping illegal copies, but in the case cited by the OP, they copyist freely admitted what he was doing.

And, like I said, it's illegal. If you sell the original you are no longer entitled to have a copy.

Then I simply ask you provide legal document that supports your claim. What countries are you even referring to? I looked up the law for USA and Canada and you are absolutely wrong about your assumptions. You might want to do some fact checking before you continue giving incomplete and innacurate legal information. There is a specifc law that gives the buyers of books, dvds, etc full owner rights to resell. Since you are a lawyer you should not only know the name of the law but what it means for consumer rights.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
From the link Tony provided.

"In addition to making a backup copy of software, it is legal to make a backup copy of a CD or DVD so that you can continue to enjoy the copyrighted material if your original copy fails. It is illegal to make copies of CDs or DVDs if you intend to distribute them to third parties, even by giving them away. Additionally, in some instances it may be unlawful to circumvent anti-piracy technology in order to make a backup copy of a CD or DVD."

It seems that once you sell, or somehow transfer ownership of the work you are not entitled to a back up copy, as Bob said it becomes an illegal copy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Nice link Tony. Thank you.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
What it says is it's illegal to sell or give away copies. We already know that.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Canadian law now features a wide range of user-oriented provisions that legalize common activities. For example, time shifting, or the recording of television shows, is now legal under Canadian copyright after years of residing in a grey area. The law also legalizes format shifting and the creation of backup copies. This will prove helpful for those seeking to digitize content, transfer content to portable devices, or create backups to guard against accidental deletion or data loss.

Canadians can also take greater advantage of fair dealing, which allows users to make use of excerpts or other portions of copyright works without the need for permission or payment. The scope of fair dealing has been expanded with the addition of three new purposes: education, satire, and parody.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2012/11/......ist.html

Most magic dvd's are unprotected and are considered teaching and educational material.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2015, Danny Kazam wrote:
From a legal standpoint it's not illegal in most parts because it is lawful to resell dvd's, books, etc.

As long as the original dvd is being resold no crime is being committed. Apparently what he is doing is making himself a copy and selling the original. If he sold the copy he would be in legal trouble. Keeping a copy of a dvd while re-selling the original is not illegal but some if not most in the magic community will say it's immoral, unethical, stealing from the creator, etc, it's all crap. lol

Sounds like he was honest enough to acknowledge that he burns copies for his own use and then resells the original. If you think it's unethical of him then don't buy his dvd's. Some don't think it's unethical.

It seems as if you did NOT know that keeping a copy of a DVD after selling the original is a problem. Care to revise your position?

Because making the copy in order to distribute the original is illegal. YOU said it wasn't and even laughed about it. Again I ask do you care to revise your position?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

It would make sense that the origional dvd failing and selling it would be one in the same.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is that?

The OP was making a copy knowing he would sell it to get his money back. The EXACT behavior the laws are trying to curb.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2015, Danny Kazam wrote:
From a legal standpoint it's not illegal in most parts because it is lawful to resell dvd's, books, etc.

As long as the original dvd is being resold no crime is being committed. Apparently what he is doing is making himself a copy and selling the original. If he sold the copy he would be in legal trouble. Keeping a copy of a dvd while re-selling the original is not illegal but some if not most in the magic community will say it's immoral, unethical, stealing from the creator, etc, it's all crap. lol

Sounds like he was honest enough to acknowledge that he burns copies for his own use and then resells the original. If you think it's unethical of him then don't buy his dvd's. Some don't think it's unethical.

It seems as if you did NOT know that keeping a copy of a DVD after selling the original is a problem. Care to revise your position?

Because making the copy in order to distribute the original is illegal. YOU said it wasn't and even laughed about it. Again I ask do you care to revise your position?

Exactly. The copy must be destroyed or accompany the transfer of the original. The law explicitly states that use of a copy for financial gain is illegal as well. Making a copy then reselling the original (while retaining the copy) is making use of the copy for financial gain as you resell the DVD but retain possession of the contents of the DVD in the copy.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I thought the OP's question is asking if it's immoral. Nice tactic to divert away from the fact that the excuses as to why it's immoral was shown to be hyprocritical. Have fun with that.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Man you diverted this topic so many times it's not even funny and have argued the legality the whole time till it didn't suit you. I stated in the discussion I meant intent to recoup money and you bring up other things like forgetting backups and other things I never meant.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2016, Danny Kazam wrote:
I thought the OP's question is asking if it's immoral. Nice tactic to divert away from the fact that the excuses as to why it's immoral was shown to be hyprocritical. Have fun with that.

Yea when it suits you it is about legality and when not it is about morality. Keep switching horses to confuse but it won't work.

It is perfectly fine with you to profit from the hard work of others. Go figure.

You ate the one being hypocritical here.

Turns out the guy with the law degree was right and the fit spring off workout knowledge is wrong. Shocking.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is this morally wrong (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL