The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The SvenPads (197 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..10..14..18..22..26..30~31~32 [Next]
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
The Svenpads are incredible! Brett has made something very beautiful here. I've attempted to sit down and make these pads in the past and what I made was hardly worth handing out to a spectator. Its flawless! I ordered the combo set which I highly recommend. Completely ordinary looking pads! Great job Brett! The price is perfect for what you receive. I most likely will be buying a few more pads within the next month or so.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
why buy business cards when you can buy some sheets of card and cut them out yourself?

There is quite a difference between a business card, which is meant to be kept and referred to by the person who receives it, and a scrap of paper that is meant to be crumpled up and forgotten.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
The SvenPads are indeed incredible. Rarely have I held a product of such professional quality. You can't appreciate it without actually holding it in your hands. I was not particularly excited about it before I actually had an opportunity to see one. I figured so what, I've made plenty of things like this myself, they work well. Heck even my Bulldog deck works fine. And in fact they do, but from the moment I played with one I was disturbed at how incredible it was. It just didn't seem like it should work it looked so commercially normal. Having said that I just cannot or chose not to return to my old ways. The talk on the thread is odd. If you are happy with your DIY that's great. I'm glad I know how and can at anytime make a facsimile if I need to. Perhaps I'm the only one that will notice, but I choose to present a more professional quality product if I can. It sort of makes my old stuff look like The Magic Coloring Book. It's a great trick and it looks like one, but there are other magazine style effects where the magazines looks like completely normal professional products. It's the same with this. I am grateful to Brett Barry for going to the trouble to develop these and share them with the community. It is a truly outstanding Utility Product.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I was really excited to see this, I currently have a need for just such a device...I'll probably buy, but was really disappointed in the price, it's really kind of expensive for what you get. IMO, should be priced around 1/2 of current cost...I'm sure now will come all the justifications for cost, but really...
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2015, mtgoldstein wrote:
The SvenPads are indeed incredible. Rarely have I held a product of such professional quality. You can't appreciate it without actually holding it in your hands. I was not particularly excited about it before I actually had an opportunity to see one. I figured so what, I've made plenty of things like this myself, they work well. Heck even my Bulldog deck works fine. And in fact they do, but from the moment I played with one I was disturbed at how incredible it was. It just didn't seem like it should work it looked so commercially normal. Having said that I just cannot or chose not to return to my old ways. The talk on the thread is odd. If you are happy with your DIY that's great. I'm glad I know how and can at anytime make a facsimile if I need to. Perhaps I'm the only one that will notice, but I choose to present a more professional quality product if I can. It sort of makes my old stuff look like The Magic Coloring Book. It's a great trick and it looks like one, but there are other magazine style effects where the magazines looks like completely normal professional products. It's the same with this. I am grateful to Brett Barry for going to the trouble to develop these and share them with the community. It is a truly outstanding Utility Product.

^ agreed!!
I first encountered Brett's SvenPad at mindvention! Once a performers has them
In their hand a large smile appears!
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Congratulations to Brett on his new release!

I'm really looking forward to using these amazing utility pads, and my brains already racing with some incredible ideas for these! I'm also happy to know that they'll save considerable time from having to make them myself, not to mention that they're made with absolute precision. Thanks Brett for making these available to the working pro!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You hit the nail on the head John. Whilst slightly overpriced for the casual hobbyist performer such as myself, these will be an extremely, very welcome, addition to working performers worldwide. In fact I'd probably order a box full.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
Can you make sven pads yourself? Sure. Will they work? Sure. Are these game changing? Not in terms of the method or routines etc. But for me, they are game changing in regards to me not having to sit down and cut my own. Which I have done a bunch of times. But now something comes along that is a very nice tool that is cut with precision that you simply will not get by freehand. Does that mean they will "work" better? Maybe not. But I do think they look better and more importantly, save me a lot of time prepping my own. You get two pads for 50 bucks. That's 25 bucks per pad. I would pay that over and over again to not have to endure the monotonous task of cutting my own.

So what you are getting is quality, consistency, and time saved. It's up to you to determine if you find value in that or not.

I sure do.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
God, I think it is a nightmare trying to make your own,well it is for me,i am quite happy to pay for someone to make a great job of one,great stuff Brett.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
God, I think it is a nightmare trying to make your own,well it is for me,i am quite happy to pay for someone to make a great job of one,great stuff Brett.

Really? wow. I am not an arts and crafts guy by no means but I find these very simple to make.

But I can see how some would rather buy them.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
twitter
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of twitter
[quote]On Nov 23, 2015, saysold1 wrote:The popular tossed out deck by David Hoy (and many others after) also popularized a rubber- banded method similar to the Svengali concept to force multiple cards./quote]

Maven approved that?

I'm not history expert, but the hoy TOD I do uses a method that has absolutely no similarity to a sven deck.

People peak at the deck. I call out three cards. People sit down.

Am I doing it wrong?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You are correct but allow me to clarify.

My understanding was that Hoy was INSPIRED by Orville Meyers idea for a TOD - which he then used a different method that did NOT use Sven/

Orville's did use Sven.

Read above and it says that. Inspired meant Hoy apparently got the idea for his TOD (which was not the 1st BTW) from Orville Meyer's TeleMatic deck - which is related to Svengali.

David Hoy's did NOT use that method as we all know.

Other TOD concepts after Hoy's (Cody, Gazzo, Jermay, etc) in fact honed closer to the 1956 TeleMatic style.

Hope that helps! Max is more than welcome to chime in Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Correct, Brett. And: you have not to defend your release, you have done and credited more than necessary. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
These are perfect! Happy to have spent the $!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Thanks Brett.These will be a great addition to my show.
Todd Smile
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Brett's SvenPads are incredible! They are high quality, precision-made utilities. I love these things! Thanks Brett!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Atta Boy, Brett !
Now, to figure out some routines to use for ... " The Dark Side " !
And, not of the MOON. Smile

~G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What a great product! I've been away working in the road and these were here waiting for me when I returned. What a quality utility tool and a great addition to any working mentalist's toolbox.

These are great looking and professional quality both in craftsmanship and innocence. I think you did a fantastic job in producing a product that offers such a wide range of applications and possibilities. This is a welcome addition to the community.

As working performers we are always looking for tools that can make our performance and execution easier, while unsuspicious, inconspicuous and yet quite effective. This hits on all levels.

Is it nothing new, no of course not, it was never intended or claimed to be. Can you make them (or similar) yourself? Sure if you want to sit down, make the time and effort, get all of the supplies and deal with the tedious process of art & craft making. If that is for you, good for you, go for it. But there is no need to ridicule someone for taking the work out of it for those of us that have better things to do, are busy performing and traveling and in my case anyhow would never end up with or even come close to such a well-crafted, beautiful resulting product.

As Eric said, whether we are interesting in changing or updating a !@#$i*ng method, looking for an alternative handling or using it as the basis for creating our own ideas, effects and applications, this creates a new option and opportunity for many of us.

May the force be with you!
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of Darby
I received mine last night, and they are fantastic! Thank you Brett for making this high quality tool available at what I believe is a reasonable price.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I used mine in a show for 250 yesterday.
What a joy to work with this quality product!
I will be needing more of these!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The SvenPads (197 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..10..14..18..22..26..30~31~32 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL