The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Please help identify stage trick (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maestrothemagnificent
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of maestrothemagnificent
Folks,

I have a trick that includes two nested boxes with a "chinaman" printed on the oitside of each. The boxes are yellow smaller goes into red, larger. Load chamber is held in place by metal clips allowing the inner one to be displayed empty.

I am asking for help with the name and the instructions. Seems self working a bit, but need help. I am not brand new here but it has been a long time, if I break any rules it is unintended.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is a very old trick, you should know it if you did any kind of searching yourself. It is a classic.

It is called, Abbott's Tubes of Buddah, and is still sold today.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Tubes......fbud.htm

Here you can download the instructions.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Instant-Instr......oryId=-1

I have PayPal, and will expect my $50.00 consultation fee for giving you this information.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Bill!

Why do you "work" so cheap??? Hee hee

The current price is "a bit higher" than it was when Percy sent me his catalog #7!

A couple years ago, I walked into a thrift shop to check out the old book shelf. Passing by a section with various children's toys, I spotted the TUBES OF BUDDHA. (nearby was a Gen Grant phantom tube, and a Morrisey double load dove pan!

The three props were used, but, in good condition. Each was priced at ONE DOLLAR.

So, I "peeked the poke" as the carnies usta say, and decided if I "skipped lunch", I could afford them!

I gave the Ts of B to a friend, and, sold the PT and the double load DP at an auction. Profit: FIFTY BUCKS.

The Tubes of Buddha are, of course, the old organ pipes principle. MY first version was made of a Morton Salt cardboard "can", and a cardboard mailing tube in the early '40s! One of my mentors as a "callow" youth, was the late Vincent Malmstrom. His ORGAN PIPES routine is in TARBELL. It's a bit outdated, now, but, in its day.......
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What the Tubes of Buddha have over other silk production tubes is the ability to place one tube on top of the other with bottom tube opening showing toward the audience. thus unlike other tubes or the Square Circle, they can see under and under the tube as silks are produced. This is one of the few production devices that holds a lot of silks and items. No need for any kind of additional production methods.

Joe Finchele (sp) made this product for years, and wholesaled to brick and motor magic dealers.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
A fellow named Miller in the Chicago area also manufactured and wholesaled tons of Buddha Tubes back in the 1950's-60's.

Julie
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ed Miller of Chicago. So did Joe Fiechnel (sp) of New York.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Miller also made beautiful Square Circles in a polished wood grain finish on the outer rectangle/square. His Block Thru Glass AKA Blok-O (in two sizes) was functional, but not nearly as attractive as the Buddha Tubes & Square Circles IMO.

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
JOE FENICHEL is the way he spelled his name, when he wrote to me, about 50 years ago.

I had bought a pair of Joe's "Chinese" Sticks from Gene Gordon. In the instructions (which I didn't REALLY need!) was mentioned "comedy patter" included. The "comedy patter" hadn't "come with", so, I invested a three cent stamp. (Now, you know it was 50 years ago!)

Joe's letter in reply (included the "comedy patter", which was the "standard" petter) said: "I think YOU could think up much better patter than THIS!"

Joe was right! (hee hee)

Oh! Julie! ED MILLER also made very nice Mutilated Parasols, and BREAKAWAY FANS. Back in the '70s, I bought the last half dozen fans that Ed made, from Frances Marshall. The fan was a BIG laugh, and I wanted spares! (Heqq, the fan always got a SHOW STOP LAUGH! --and, on two occasions, in high schools, I got a STANDING OVATION with the fan routine! Ed's fan were great!!! (I'm still using the first one!)

I've sold a few of the "lrft overs" to friends. I still have a couple left!

I wrote up my fan routine in my book. I got 5 minutes with a wand, a breakaway wand, a .22 cal. shooting wand, and the fan! For years, the Weller Wieners and, a rubber chicken from two boys' shirts were the "big finish". I had to cut both bits, as "social customs" changed.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I still have two good sets of weller hot dogs. They still get a laugh but you are right about loading into a kids's shirt. Can't get anything like them anymore. Same with a good rubber chicken.

Blank wand....yeah, and you reload the darn thing right in front of them for the next show.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah Richard~:

THAT "got" a lot of magicians! (You, too, eh!)

Like "K MART", "My" area of show business succeeded on the volume (and, keeping the nut low)!

I learned about "turning them", and "managing the nut" when I was young, working in a ten in one. Those "lessons" stay with a guy.

I never did learn how to rewind the hat coils! --but, I did learn how to reset the few props that needed any setting, fast! I could load the two doves in 30 seconds. Those two birds "gave" me 8 minutes of laughs. Eight minutes out of a 45 minute program, aint too bad!

PS::: I wrote up the entire bird routine in my book. One dove bag, a few silks, and a linking ring! (plus the birds!)

PPs: I miss that hot dog bit! (Best gag line was: "Where's the beef?")

I wonder what Al Flosso would do, today!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I THINK it was Klamm(sp?) who sold a silver hat coil with a re-winding device...

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think you are correct, Julie.

When "stock tickers" were phased out, a "few" (!) years ago, "hat coils" could be had CHEAP! I used that source for a long time. I got them in packages of a dozen coils. The shops were selling coils (not stock ticker tape) for 25 cents. My ticker tape coils were virtually free. Now, Abbott's gets a dollar/coil!

Hat coils always got laughs and APPLAUSE!

I was cleaning out my storage facility, and found a box full of coils this summer. I gave the box to a friend, along with Abbott's "Tambo" Rings.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Now I will really take this off topic: One of my favorite production tricks is Merv Taylor's TAMBOR.
That's the 3 piece set (brass body with copper rings) from which you produce about a million silks. Well, it LOOKS like a million Smile

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, the Taylor/Owen Tambor production is really great. I seen it performed on one of the old television specials in Monte Carlo in the 1980's. He produced what seemed to be a 100 foot streamer from it to music (slower tempo) that was timed to be pulled out with the beat his music. My wife at the time was so impressed she commented about it. That was a strong recommendation, because, she never said anything about any other magic effects.

It is a beautiful set.

I only could afford the poor man's, Abbott's Tambo Rings for the Hat Coil production and final load. Not anywhere near as good as the Taylor piece. But the Abbott's version of trick is described in C. Lang Neil's old book on magic, The Modern Conjuror.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
I was very surprised that it could fool anyone
after reading the instructions for tambor. Do
they just like all the colors and forget about
the method? Or are they really fooled? I have used it
and they like it but I always felt the method wasn t
clever enough.
I think that in that 1980's show they might have edited it
because it looked impossible to load. I don't
think they used a table either.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The guy wore a cap, and he produced an electronic candle, and then did the Tambor. I did not see any load. He was very good for only doing a 2 or 3 tricks. It was his artistry, and showmanship that sold his magic.

After thinking about it and not being able to go back and watch the act again, he may have not use the gimmick at all.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2015, Julie wrote:
Now I will really take this off topic: One of my favorite production tricks is Merv Taylor's TAMBOR.
That's the 3 piece set (brass body with copper rings) from which you produce about a million silks. Well, it LOOKS like a million Smile

Julie

My favorite quantity silk production prop also! --Ever since I saw Harry Blackstone (pere) present it as part of the "Enchanted Garden" (the opening spectacle of the "Show of 1001 Wonders").

The prop itself is absolutely practical. There are no moving parts to wear out. It's ALL LOAD!!! --AND, IT'S EASY TO LOAD. I found a loading method that is easier and better than the method that Merv Taylor provided.

I wrote up the method plus my routine in my book. (ha! "jerk silks out of a nice prop!) I used it for years in my school show. I did drop it when I toured for the bureaus. (takes 5 minutes to set the prop and load the silks which time was not always available when I did 3 and 4 programs per day. I used it to close the show in schools, and, in my family (evening) shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Please help identify stage trick (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL