The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jay Sankey - Full of It !!!! (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, Sashac wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
Quote:
I've spoken to other people that have been on the show.

They are literally trained to not "answer" unless P&T are way off.

Absolute tosh. You obviously haven't watched the show. Martin Lester has the inside track. He was actually there.

Listen man. It's good to think critically in life (up to a certain point), it's not ok to be as overly skeptical as you have been recently on this forum (I'm trying to remain polite). I am telling you as someone who actually spent a few hours talking about this with 3 people that went onto season 2, not who saw it getting taped. And yes, I have watched the show you ****.

Alan R has set the record straight. Sashac, you were talking absolute tosh, as suspected.

Listen man, I spoke to 3 people who were on the show. We were all having the conversation together and they told me. I would have thought that as a dealer you would have a little more respect for people, especially as someone who has spoken to people who were on the NEW season instead of you who is basing yourself on info found on the Café' that happened in the old one.

Regardless, goodnight you **** Smile
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
[quote]On Jan 3, 2016, Xiqual wrote:
Drop bears DO exist Mate! Really, BELIEVE!!!!!!
James

Quote:
On Jan 3, 2016, Wardy wrote:
Hahaha drop bears! Good one! Still more interesting than Sankey or star wars, even though they don't exist...

I do BELIEVE that Sankey is a great hypnotist.... buy my products, buy my products....
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2016, Sashac wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
Quote:
I've spoken to other people that have been on the show.

They are literally trained to not "answer" unless P&T are way off.

Absolute tosh. You obviously haven't watched the show. Martin Lester has the inside track. He was actually there.

Listen man. It's good to think critically in life (up to a certain point), it's not ok to be as overly skeptical as you have been recently on this forum (I'm trying to remain polite). I am telling you as someone who actually spent a few hours talking about this with 3 people that went onto season 2, not who saw it getting taped. And yes, I have watched the show you ****.

Alan R has set the record straight. Sashac, you were talking absolute tosh, as suspected.

Listen man, I spoke to 3 people who were on the show. We were all having the conversation together and they told me. I would have thought that as a dealer you would have a little more respect for people, especially as someone who has spoken to people who were on the NEW season instead of you who is basing yourself on info found on the Café' that happened in the old one.

Regardless, goodnight you **** Smile

I spoke to the producer of the new series and he confirmed that contestants are encourged to question P&T if they feel the need to. Your 'friends' are obvioulsy pulling your leg. Do they often play tricks on you?
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Imaginary friends?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
More than likely. Sashac has been known to stretch the truth.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
It's a flawed show. I first realized that with Leon and Romy's obscenely amateur card under skateboard performance. They "fooled" p&t simply because the Romy made it look like she suspiciously took the card and exited to the left. Instead Leon simply brought the card to the right. And just like that the premise of the show is destroyed. Aronsons quote (paraphrasing) "there's a big difference between not knowing how a trick is done and not knowing how it could possibly be done" nails the problem with that show. I could go on there with a coin and make it look like I did a poor French drop to get the coin from right hand to left. And then when Penn starts talking about how he like FRENCH fries and FRENCH bread I can tell him he's wrong because I had two coins and really did put one of them in the other hand with a coin pull. The producers should call that out as you scammed or hoodwinked p&t. Not fooled. As annoying as sankeys video is (thanks for showing me how artists fool the eye) he has point. If the pathetic scam pulled by Leon and Romy count as a fool than sankeys straw trick should count to.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
193 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Penn is so funny in that sunday school episode when he addresses this exact issue. "Jay snarky, snarky, sharky shwankey, Sankey. You're welcome".

But yeah a few performers have used fake looking moves, like the guys who did card in mouth with their paper clipped looking switch.
In the episode Penn also says that after Sharkeys performance Teller walked up to the producers back stage and said " I don't want any more of this ****. "
Because what are they supposed to do? Bust every trick by the exact method? This may have been possible with sharkey but Shin Lim is a perfect example.

Have a great day
Cheers!
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2016, Platt wrote:
It's a flawed show. I first realized that with Leon and Romy's obscenely amateur card under skateboard performance. They "fooled" p&t simply because the Romy made it look like she suspiciously took the card and exited to the left. Instead Leon simply brought the card to the right. And just like that the premise of the show is destroyed. Aronsons quote (paraphrasing) "there's a big difference between not knowing how a trick is done and not knowing how it could possibly be done" nails the problem with that show. I could go on there with a coin and make it look like I did a poor French drop to get the coin from right hand to left. And then when Penn starts talking about how he like FRENCH fries and FRENCH bread I can tell him he's wrong because I had two coins and really did put one of them in the other hand with a coin pull. The producers should call that out as you scammed or hoodwinked p&t. Not fooled. As annoying as sankeys video is (thanks for showing me how artists fool the eye) he has point. If the pathetic scam pulled by Leon and Romy count as a fool than sankeys straw trick should count to.

If you listen to Penns comment in the audio session link provided earlier in the thread he admits that the show is flawed for the same reason you state here. Big of him to do so I thought.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I listened to the show. Crazy that he addressed exactly what I was speaking about. I don't know why that Leon and Romy performance bothers me so much. Maybe it was the big grin on their faces when they called pen out as being wrong when the actual method was just as bad as the misdirect. While it may be big the way penn spoke about the flaws with the show I lost a bit of respect for him the way he spoke about sankey. Zilch class. Crapping on a fellow magician like that shows terrible character. He hadn't even watched the video. I'm sure all 50 people who listen to penns Sunday school don't even know who sankey is but still classless. Shame on you Penn.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I listen to every episode of Penn's podcast.

He often speaks badly about people he has interacted with but he sort of inoculates himself from criticism by repeatedly saying that he really likes and respects them. It's hard to explain you have to listen to the show a lot. Penn also repeatedly corrects himself and explains that he is wrong about everything. It's kind of passive aggressive but it's entertaining and Penn is very smart and insightful.

In the segment where he talks about Sankey he said he had not watched Sankey's video but apparently he had been told that "some guy claims he fooled us and he wants the prize". Which is completely untrue.

Penn pointed out the flaw in the shows judging and said they were working on it. At the time Sankey performed that was the way the show worked.

If my memory is correct when Penn said "he didn't want any more of this sh*t" he was refering to contestants doing a bunch of small tricks NOT to contestants using feints to mislead about method.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Yes I agree you have to tune in to that and some other radio shows Penn has done and you get the schtick .In the end if memory serves he does tip his hat to Sankey for successfully"exploiting the flaw".
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2016, MeetMagicMike wrote:
If my memory is correct when Penn said "he didn't want any more of this sh*t" he was refering to contestants doing a bunch of small tricks NOT to contestants using feints to mislead about method.

No, he specifically called out the fact that using crappy obvious feints that would also have accomplished the method is a terrible tactic and is dumb. Think about this from a magic perspective, if I use a key card to do a location and then say the cards are marked on the back and that's how I found your card. But I don't let you examine the cards and show you it's a false solution, it's the worst magic trick ever.

The spectator walks away thinking you're just some weirdo with marked cards, even though you "fooled them" because the cards weren't marked. What magic happened in their minds. To use a false solution, you need to balance with some other item that cancels out so the spectator is left with nothing to hold on to.
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
The bunch of small tricks isn't entertaining either. Cool for an 11 year old but not a professional.
CryptKeeper
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of CryptKeeper
The whole thing is just weird sounds like sour grapes or a poor strategy. He must have talked to others before going on to know it was a stretch. I believe he did what he said it was just a bad move and it looked silly and the stuff he did looked amateurish. Why would he put his reputation on TV and do that because he doesn't care? Or was it an insult gone wrong. His rising card and the mishmash of look a trick look another trick no performance just a trained monkey act.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
CryptKeeper, It's a variety show and you're not expected to like every act. A lot of people loved what Sankey did. I saw acts that I didn't care for but I'm not about to personally insult them. It's pretty impressive they got on the show. I'm not sure I could even handle the pressure.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Probably the worst performance I've seen on the show,especially considering his rep I expected more.... Still love IAF though.
syotos
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of syotos
In my opinion Jay's act was not very strong, he did a couple small tricks which were not very impressive. Also "fooling" P&T with red herrings is kind off funny but not calling them on it "because you respect them to much" is utter BS, if that was the case he would not have released that video. In my opinion Jay knew that he had not that much to gain by legitimately fooling P & T but saw a marketing possibility to get more attention to his youtube channel and websites.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, sirbrad wrote:
Yeah Sankey fooled them in the sense that he simply used the show to market his "original" products to a much larger audience.

Nothing wrong with that, there have been several magicians on the show who have taken that exact tact. I don't blame them for taking their moment in the spotlight to promote themselves as much as they can. But for Pete's sake, at least be entertaining. That was certainly the dullest, most uninspired Sankey performance I've ever seen from a guy who can be much, much more interesting. I don't see how he could have sold product with that clip. It was kind of his Vanilla Ice moment.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Maybe Sankey was not comfortable performing for P & T? Seems that he mostly performs in front of the camera for other magicians. But what videos I did see him perform for laymen in he looked better then. Whether they were real laymen or paid actors is not known but he seemed a lot more comfortable. I use some of his material and gets great reactions, but I am very selective and experienced to know what works after about 36 years. Seemed to me that he was simply marketing sparkle. Not sure whether it is "wrong" or not but certainly not the purpose of the show.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
I'm not impressed with Sankey's reasoning and I think he's the fool for not making better use of his time. I do wish Penn had a little more respect for Sankey during that podcast, though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jay Sankey - Full of It !!!! (59 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL