The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Contained by Jay Sankey (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
To be honest, I don't know if I like this or not. Really I don't.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20366
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
In the context of a routine I see no issue with it. I like it. Already put a purchase in for Triad Coins so this will have to wait.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I like the visuals. I'd love to see Jay perform for an audience with this.
Joel
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
The price is a little bit high for me Smile
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of nonprofitmagic
Not an organic item.

Kevin
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Shipping costs are astronomical to the UK so they can poke it. Was going to order for my daughter who'd enjoy this.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Not organic in the sense of an item commonly carried around everyday but ordinary enough for a generla organic look. Definitely not, "magic prop" looking.

"Each CONTAINED gimmick, is hand-crafted by master machinist Roy Kueppers." ...That in itself gives this prop a portion of promise!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I think I know how it works, I still ordered one from Browsers Den of Magic.
Tricky Ricky
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Well I have asked my daughter to get me this for Xmas I do not useualy bother with Jay's stuff and I find him just a little too much for me,but we will see.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I see that it's now available in the UK.
Filip Struzka
View Profile
New user
Czech rep.
21 Posts

Profile of Filip Struzka
I think, there's much more than just Contained! ;-) What do you think about other new Saneky's products? I don't have to post a new topic, or have I?

Sankey released a trick where you take a straw or anything like that and you stick it right through the center of a quarter. It is called SWIRL - http://sankey-magic.myshopify.com/products/swirl

And the second effect is with a Coca Cola loyalty card. He shows the card and remove a bottle cap right from the picture and then he makes the drink disappear from the same photo. That's called FLUID - http://sankey-magic.myshopify.com/products/fluid

I am personaly interested in the Fluid. I might put the card into my wallet and use it sometimes, with the bottle cap in my pocket of course Smile The Swirl, oh we really don't have quarters in my country. Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing your ideas. Smile
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
One thing for anyone who get's this in the UK you might want to get rid of the writing on the lid,we do not have lid's with what is on the one you get.
RC
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of RC
I got the trick & reviewed it here for anyone that's still interested: http://www.oldmarketmagician.com/#!CONTA......03931f04

*Also, please note my blog is hidden from public view so if you do happen to click on "BLOG" on my main site, the password to get back in is "vernon"... yes as in Dai Vernon. Smile
RC
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of RC
Tried the card transposition with "CONTAINED" at the end of a card routine last night... It worked, but it felt more like a phase you'd do within a routine. It could have been my delivery but it didn't feel powerful enough to close with it. I may try & do something else with it now involving candy or money. (Just thought I'd add this little update.) Happy New Year!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, RC wrote:
Tried the card transposition with "CONTAINED" at the end of a card routine last night... It worked, but it felt more like a phase you'd do within a routine. It could have been my delivery but it didn't feel powerful enough to close with it. I may try & do something else with it now involving candy or money. (Just thought I'd add this little update.) Happy New Year!

I actualy feel the same way with this after playing with it and will try the sweet version as well.
RC
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of RC
I used it today to open a money routine where I had a $5 bill in the capsule and then it was gone leaving the capsule empty. It was a nice lead-in, but unfortunately, for other effects the same price (even other Sankey products the same price or less), this doesn't pack quite the punch.
RC
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of RC
I'm deleting the blog on my site, so I thought I'd just transfer the general overview of this trick here:

The gimmick is well constructed.  People will be able to examine everything when all is said and done.  I think this trick would be best suited for intermediate on up rather than beginners because there is sleight of hand required.  The sleight of hand is not necessarily difficult, but often beginners are still figuring out patter and everything else.  If you think you're getting a gimmick like a crystal box, you will stand to be corrected.  This is not a self-contained illusion where the gimmick does everything for you at the push of a button, which honestly, is something I thought might be the case before I purchased it.

Although Sankey covers everything you need to know to perform this effect, there are no actual live performances featured of him using his own device in a real world setting.  However, since I'm only recommending this to a magician who already has a grip on creating their own handling, it's fine without the performance examples.  Another detail some may have preferred is if the lid to the capsule was left blank.  Instead, it has writing across the top that makes it look like the capsule came from a pharmacy.  (Keep in mind it may be possible to find a blank replacement cap somewhere that works or something that will take the writing off.)  On a more positive note, Sankey delivers a plethora of ideas in his tutorial and basically leaves it up for each individual performer to determine how this prop will enhance his or her own magic. 

Overall, this trick is good.  People might find "CONTAINED" a little expensive for how simple it seems.  However, if you like transpositions & want a well built gimmick, you might like this.

PS. I would love to see Jay Sankey featured on "Wizard Wars," a show where magicians are forced to come up with routines using random objects.  I think his personality and magic style would without a doubt fit the bill.  
Magic McKing
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Magic McKing
I love everything from Sankey (almost..), but not this one. It just looks too CONTAINED... ok pun intended..
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Really? I've never bought anything from him that was even marginally good, it's always one or two decent illusions and twenty ridiculously stupid, obvious or overly complicated fillers. If you have any recommendations for his good stuff I'd love to hear.
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
193 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
I have received a prop that looks very similar and accomplishes the same effect in a $10 magic kit for kids.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Contained by Jay Sankey (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL