The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » If You've Received Your Copy of Tenyoism Please Post Here (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
128 Posts

Profile of sthielman
Got mine for Christmas, and love it. A wonderful production in so many ways. Beautiful book, terrific approach to describing the tricks and making the most of each effect, and the DVDs are fantastic. Clearly a labor of love, and honestly, for what you get, the book is CHEAP. Never received a book packed so well. Magical inspiration galore.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Here is the five star review from Steve Bryant:

http://littleegyptmagic.com/magic_january2016.html

And here is Killertweety's enthusiastic review of the new Tenyo books:

http://www.tenyo.be/index.html
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
2989 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks for the links Joe, great reviews!
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
330 Posts

Profile of dragonash
Mine arrived this morning as I was leaving for work. After returning, it took quite a while to unstrap and open boxes and remove the shrink wrap. I am very tired.

The items look great; there are so many pretty pictures.
Jitterbug
View Profile
New user
Belgium
46 Posts

Profile of Jitterbug
Hi Richard,
Hi all,

My standard version arrived in Belgium on the 28th of December, only to be opened yesterday. After flicking through the pages, I am really impressed by the shear quality of the books, its packaging, the binding, and the diversity of information. I saw a kind of DIY-section that really screams for closer inspection. I still have to read in detail, but from what I can tell, these could well be the best and most amazing looking books in my collection..

AMAZING work, Richard and involved staff!
And congratulations to myself for deciding to buy them 😃
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of teevtee
So I have now finally completed BOTH volumes... cover to cover (Volume two took longer for some reason).
But I'm far from finished with these books. First of all I have yet to touch the DVDs... then I will go back to some of the specific tricks and revisit them with props in hands. Finally they will become a great reference resource.

It has been great reading the in depth background on the creators (none of which I knew) and seeing the many, many tricks that I was either unaware of or simply had forgotten.

I am not a massively in depth Tenyo collector, rather I have been trying to focus on tricks I will actually perform (Tenyo and otherwise). I own many Tenyo don't get me wrong but it is far, far from a complete collection; having this book makes me feel as if I own EVERY item they have ever made.

This weekend I should have time to tackle the DVDs.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of teevtee
As an aside I found something interesting with these books:

Over the years, going back to being a kid, it is interesting to find things you like without necessarily knowing who created them. Then later you find something else that you like and only at a later date you realize that the same person or people were responsible for many things you like.

For example I always loved Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... especially the look and feel of it (the set design). I also loved Disney's Jungle Cruise (and in fact worked on it as a kid). I also loved the look of the Nautilus from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (and again worked on it's namesake ride). Only later did I realize that a Harper Goff created all of those things... he was the art director on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, he physically laid out the Jungle Cruise track and was responsible for much of the original vision of it (later made much more comical and even greater by Marc Davis) and he created the design and look of the Nautilus (something I liked so much I commissioned a model maker to build a 3 foot version of for my den years back). Same guy... I loved it all, had no idea one person was responsible for it all.

Same goes with books and movies. I loved Jurassic Park (the book) by Michael Crichton. Only later did I realize that he also wrote and directed West World one of my favorite movies as a kid and also the Andromeda Strain (scared the hell out of me when I was young).

So you only make the connection in retrospect that creators have styles that you love... even if you were not aware at the time that they were made but the same person... that EXACT SAME THING happened with this book.
I would find that the same person often created my favorite Tenyo tricks. In other cases certain tricks that never quite clicked with me were also made by the same (different) creator.

It’s really cool to realize that even within a corporate structure individual personalities come shining through the tricks themselves. I now have favorite Tenyo creators, which is cool.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2318 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Interesting observation. Yes, of course it's true with Harper Goff! You really need to visit Tokyo DisneySea and see what they did there in building the Caldera and the Nautilus, and the two rides. All steampunk design right out of Goff's playbook.

Well, very glad to hear that you're all enjoying the books. DVD 3 is, to me, the most interesting. But if you want to see a demo of almost every Tenyo trick, then DVDs 1 and 2 will do it for your.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I have been to Tokyo DisneySea many times Richard, over a dozen. I'll be back later this year and agree with you 100%, it's amazing for any Goff or Disney fan.
I found it exciting to make the connection that certain Tenyo creators consistently made my favorites. Your book exposed me to a level of detail and information that I was simply unaware of previously. I'm looking forward to the DVDs!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4955 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Great insights teevtee...thank you. I love my set, but your detailed reviews make me appreciate it even more.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2318 Posts

Teevtee, do we know each other?
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I do not believe so Richard though I think we likely have a lot of common interests, not just Magic but the Disney parks and their history as well. I only have recently found some posts of yours discussing things like the Hat Box Ghost or Tokyo DisneySea etc. I am very well versed in that world... and boy to I miss the House of Magic on Main Street (or Merlin's Magic shot in Fantasyland for that matter)!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2318 Posts

Have you read my Disney stuff on www.boingboing.net?
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Richard? Are there any good books worth reading about the Disney company?
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I have just read a few of them I recently found Richard. I also blog about Disney parks, I have a very extensive collection of books on thier history and I am a lifelong fan. Used to work there years ago, been to every park in the world, planning a Shanghai visit etc... Just one of those things. I'll tell you how stupid we are... a friend of mine and myself created a challenge to complete EVERY ride at Walt Disney World in one normal day... meaning every ride in all four parks. Just finindg a day every ride is open is tough. After a coupel tries we managed to succeed late in 2014... got all sorts of media coverage, CNN, Daily Mail, Huffington Post, lots of radio and TV shows... very funny. Now we have it as a challenge that people try and a handful have also succeeded... most have failed.
Hookem
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Hookem
Yes, Richard, I have received my book. It's funny, when my wife said there was a box on the front porch that she couldn't pick up, I knew it was Tenyoism! You really outdid yourself. Its a remarkable work. I have all but 10 of the T series, and I have been waiting for this treasure for a long time. What a beautiful tome! Congratulations on your achievement.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2318 Posts

Thanks for your kind words. You have all but 10 of the T numbers? That's a very good collection!
Let me guess what you're missing ...

1. Breakaway Fan
2. Coin Coaster
3. Sponge Balls (original release in black and yellow box)
4. Linking Rings (original release in blister pack)
5. Sawa's Walt Disney World
6. Sawa's Fantastic
7. Coin Case
8. Melting Loop
9. Match and Flower
10. Invisible Man

Am I close?
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1301 Posts

Profile of edshern
Wow, it's very cool reading all your comments here.

How about taking a minute and updating your profiles.
Would love to know if you guys are magicians or regular folk/collectors.
Retired or still working.
Anyway, guess I'm just the curious type.

(Teevtee- after reading your post about all your Disney travels I wondered whether your got to travel professionally or not)
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Hey Ed-

No I don't travel professionally but we do enjoy travel in general. As far as the Disney aspect goes it's just one of those things. I've always enjoyed the parks since I was a kid. I started learning a lot about them and their history and those who created them. That led to various trips to them. We also love Japan and it so happens that arguably the best Disney park is in Japan ( though interestingly Disney does not actually own it though they are responsible for its contents). So Japan tends to be a go to place for us. My interests are not too unique though as many share my interest and I have recently discovered Richard does as well. He has blogged about it elsewhere. I love when "worlds collide" and I find out that people who share my different interests (in this case magic and Disney) are out there!

We are currently planning a trip to Shanghai as Shanghai Disneyland opens in June. We have been wanting to revisit China so this gives us a good excuse!
Hookem
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Hookem
Richard, I am missing the following (actually it's 9 pieces):
T-9 -- Funny Dog
T-11 -- Color Changing Flower
T-23 -- Rainbow Silks
T-33 -- Coin and Glass
T-42 -- Astro-Tube
T-43 -- Invisible Man
T-44 -- Coin Coaster
T-45 -- Break-Away Fan
T-48 -- Coin Case
T-192 -- Wild Wallet (Leather Make)

So you guessed right on five of them. I bought Match and Flower At Douglas Magicland in 1973 for about $2.50. I paid a fortune for Melting Loop three years ago. Also paid a hefty sum for the original release of Sponge Balls (in the black and yellow box) three years ago. I doubt I have the original release of Linking Rings. I am not familiar with either of the Sawa pieces in the T series; I will have to look those up in Tenyoism. In fact, I will need to update my "T series count" using Tenyoism!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » If You've Received Your Copy of Tenyoism Please Post Here (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL