The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Custom Zombie Gimmick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
440 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I am looking for ideas on how to make a custom zombie gimmick. Basically, I need the ball to be able to rotate, using the fingers that hold the gimmick somehow. It doesn't even need to be able to make a complete rotation. Does anyone know if there is anything like this on the market? I would much rather buy something than built it. I've tried various things, and nothing really works so far.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
19997 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Never heard of anything like this on the market. Daniel's the stage magician won SAM talent contest with is doves and he did a Zombie. It was a converted Don Wayne Floating Ball converted with the Zombie gimmick. His ball spun, but what I think he did was simply brushed his body with the large 8" ball, and it turned. He also had me gems well spaced on the ball as well.

Trying to make something like this, you will need to consult an mechanical engineer. As it, as I see it take a number of gears, and a small motor that moves slowly. Even if you could find a grocery store rotating sign attention getter, that stores sometimes have for end cap products, it would take some rearranging to attach it to a gimmick. This of course would add a lot to the weight, so it would not longer be just the a finger grip.

There is some good electronic guys on the Café, and maybe one of them can direct you, or even build it, but of course, it would be expensive.

If you are thinking of using a regular Zombie, the problem with that is, no one would know is turning, as it looks the same on all sides from any angle. So you would need some kind of object that would let the audience know it was turning.

Do they make those spinning sparkler wheels any longer. If so, that would be a way of doing it mechanically. If you could find one, tear it apart and then copy the working. Again, not easy, and would be a lot of work.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
861 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Can you tell us more about the turning you require? Does it need to turn 180 degrees? 360? Does it need to turn and stop, or turn continuously?

Depending on your needs there may be a simple, yet elegant solution. Or you may need something more comlex.
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
440 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Things have been crazy around here lately.

What I am looking for is only really for a half turn to the right if the gimmick is in your right hand, and the zombie object is obviously in it's proper place. I would want to be able to pull the gimmick (I'm imagining it like a trigger on a gun or something) half way and have the object turn a quarter turn, or pull the trigger all the way back to do the full half turn. Releasing the trigger would make the object go back to the starting point.

I have tried to build something myself using parts from one of those retractable keychains, but that didn't work out so well. It appears as though I am no engineer lol.

I hope this has made sense, as what I am looking for is a bit difficult to describe.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
82 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
Hi Latentimage,

I did make a zombie maraca that shook with music for a Mexican themed routine. I put a plastic tube through the cork on gimmick so the metal rod could easily spin.

For the rotation you need, just add another "control" rod that attaches to the object you want to turn. By using an extra finger, you can manipulate the object and cause it to turn.

This should be easy to make up.

Good luck with it!
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1302 Posts

Profile of Stucky
There was a skull zombie that was weighted in a certain way that when it was turned, it would rotate. I suspect using a bearing of sorts and having it weighted it would achieve what you need if I understand what you are trying to say.
Official Thread Killer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Custom Zombie Gimmick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL