The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Orange Tree Plans? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Hi all,

I did some searching for this on the Café but didn't come up with much of anything. Anyone know if there are Orange tree plans kicking around? I'd love to tack a crack at building one to break in my new shop. Thanks!

-Chris.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No plans that I have ever heard of, Richard Hughes owns the rights to manufacture the classic Orange Tree by his previous mentor.

I do remember a drawing in an old old book on this, but I cannot remember anything else. No plans per say.

Doing a little Google-ing, the trick is the invention of Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin, you might search for any of his books.

Doing some more Google-ing, I found there is a chapter on the Orange Tree in the book Harry Houdini authored "The Unmasking of Robert Houdin". No mention of plans.

Hope this gives you something to look into further.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Yeah I've done a fair bit of searching around. So far, nothing in terms of plans.

In regards to the rights, where would those have come from? It's such an oldie I'm curious to know more about that one.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Chris, did you miss the name Richard Hughes I posted. He is a member here and I am sure he will talk to you.

I could not remember his mentor and previous owner of his business. The guy still has tribute website, but as I said the name just escapes me.

Now, if you do find a set of plans and they are different the what Richard makes, then of course your design is your design. I don't know if his Orange Tree works the same as Houdin's model.

I appreciate you searching, but as this is your project, and your goal, then you have find out for yourself if any plans of any kind are in the "Unmasking of Robert-Houdin". I looked but could not find any reference to the actual content, just that there was a chapter on it.

There is another member on the Café that has built an Orange Tree, and it is fantastic. If you search on the Café, you should be able to find it with photos referenced. If I remember correctly, he said he had an original that needed work and restored it, then took apart and rebuilt it.

Okay Chris, I hope you appreciate my efforts, I found the member that built an Robert Houdin Orange Tree, his name on the Café if "Veegates", he is not on the Café much and his profile does not list a website or email address, so you can try PM'ing him.

Here is some of the stuff he has made including the Orange Tree: http://s1002.photobucket.com/user/veegat......3&page=1
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Xavier Tapias from Europe has also made an Orange Tree, I think he sells them, not positive, but he is a magic manufacturer.

Picture of his Orange Tree on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Xavier-Tapias-M......3399247/

Here is his store website listing the Orange Tree: http://www.xaviertapias.com/shop/es/

Okay, I have done all the work for you, not it is up to you to take action on this information.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Bill,I
I don't have the books anymore, Keep The Wheels Turning Vol. 1 and 2. There are a lot of plans from the Thayer days in those to volumes.
They are published by Owen Magic.

Jake Sr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Frenchman, Pierre Mayer built a small wooden hand cranked automaton of the orange tree. The edition was completely sold out and the wee tree is only available on the used/antiquarian market. A fabulous video of the tree in operation can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtyiQQlwO8M

Rhett Bryson
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mad Jake, is the Orange Tree in the Owen's books you mentioned, that is not clear. The books are still available from Hocus-Pocus and Owen Magic, last I seen the price they were $120 a piece.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Orange tree is not in the Owen's book. Orange tree is common domain. My mechanism design is not.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
toniyammine
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of toniyammine
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2016, hugmagic wrote:
Orange tree is not in the Owen's book. Orange tree is common domain. My mechanism design is not.

Richard

Do you sell the trees? if yes, is there a link we can check?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you look at the website there is information on the trees or contact me directly.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
SydBeckman
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
93 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2016, hugmagic wrote:

Richard

Sorry to revive this old thread but I was hunting around considering taking on trying to build this prop. Richard, I'm not sure what you mean by Common Domain?

Syd
Syd
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
At some point I'll likely build one using the method I use for the Enchanted Rose in Beauty/Beast and make the leaves fall off to reveal the oranges - could look purdy!
SydBeckman
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
93 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
HI Chris,

Do you have a link to that effect? Sounds fabulous.
Syd
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Https://www.stolzproductions.com/product......prop.php

That's the rose. I have 3d printed some upgrades which I'll put on once the current rental is done with it.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I have used the Robert Harbin Botania, as described in The Wizards' Journal #14 - https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ14/WIZ14-10FlowerPower.htm to produce a realistic spring flower botania with orange blossoms, and then used hollowed out 3" orange sponge balls combined with the multiplying banana technique to produce orange after orange from the botania, dropping them into a gimmicked bushel basket from which I could dump out real oranges (I prefer Helos or tangerines these days!) to toss out to the audience. There's nothing like Do-It-Yourself magic, and saving money!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Orange Tree Plans? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL