The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Most surprising card magician out there? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Who is the most suprising magician out there?
Up for opinions.

Let me phrase this a little better.
Who do you think is the most surprising card magician out there?

Wikiro Smile
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
611 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Lennert Green's technique is so revolutionary and unique, his effects make me do doubletakes.

He stuns me.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
5585 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Lennart Green, Shoot Ogawa, F. Paul Wilson, and Bill Goodman... these guys have all shocked me beyond belief when they hit a deck of cards.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
579 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
You really need to watch Lennart perform for lay people. I found him entirely entertaining. I don't believe that "inventors of tricks and great technicians are often not showmen" - I could list hundreds of creators that are good performers... Jay Sankey, Chad Long, Allan Ackerman, David Williamson, Rene Levant, Juan Tamariz... the list goes on and on and on.

--Andi
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Lennart Green hands down! (or rather resting on a deck)
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
5585 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I forgot to mention Reed McClintock. He is known mostly as a coin guy, but give him a deck of cards and stand back. He will do some incredible things with those fifty-two objects. If you want to see something crazy have him suck a card out of the air. Reed is on the list as a surprising card guy.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1575 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Joel Givens, he knows no equal.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
freaksrock62
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of freaksrock62
Shoot Ogawa is the man!
Reed McClintock...also the man!
Greg Wilson...the ultra man! Smile
La dee frickin' da!
I live in a van down by the river!
miztyz
View Profile
New user
scotland
20 Posts

Profile of miztyz
Lennart Green,
Alex Elmsley
Jerry Sadowitz
Peter Duffie
Guy Hollingworth
Brian Tudor.
like innovative card techniques?
Visit

www21.brinkster.com/magicden

and learn some new ones Smile
Mr. X
View Profile
Elite user
U.K.
430 Posts

Profile of Mr. X
Michael Vincent has to be the most polished magician I've ever seen. His combination of sleight of hand, patter and movement is poetry in motion.
So much to do. So little time.
Frank Starsini
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
12541 Posts

Profile of Frank Starsini
I was in Lennart Green's last video shoot.
I had seen his first 2 videos and then got to sit in on this. When there were technical difficulties (need a new light bulb, stuff like that) he was doing some wild stuff to keep us entertained. He did a lot from his first video so I got to see it up close.

I was trying to figure out how he does his in-the-hands false riffle. It is amazing.

He has a great sense of humor, and is very humble. There are many pros that could use a lesson in humility from Lennart Green.

He did some funny/startling things between sets that he said he was not going to put in his videos (he was just doing them for fun) and I begged him to keep them in. I sure hope he does. It really shows his personality.

He gave a funny/absurd discussion on statistics and convinced all of us that there would be no more auto accidents if we all drove pink volvos with a spare tire on the back.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic

Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3711 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 22:49, freaksrock62 wrote:

Gregory Wilson.

Greg Wilson is Mark Wilson's son.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
505 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Guy Hollingworth totally shocked me with his new version of Twisting the Aces and the torn and restored card. To be honest, I still can't fathom how he does that stuff . . . it's still magic to me . . .
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Serling,

The only thing that disappointed me in Guy Hollingworth's Twisting the Aces was that it used gaff's, which I don't usually approve of.

Jakks
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
I'm sorry, but I find statements like that utterly ridiculous. Don't approve of gaffs? Why not? They can allow a performer to create better magic, as in Guy Hollingworth's routine.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Some of the strongest magic effects ever created rely on gaffs. It's all a matter of personal preference in regards to whether or not you would use them but when implemented at the right time, you will get credit for an absolute inexplicable miracle that just can't be accomplished the conventional way (ie - McDonald's Aces).
ME
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I'd like to echo the defense of gaffs. It is important to remember that sleight of hand does not automatically equate with magic. Speaking as one who was once into hardcore sleights, but now is a mentalist, I find the most magical card effects to be those that rely on subtlety and spectator management. There is no more devastating card effect in the world than the Berglass effect, for example. By picks for most surprising card magicians would include Chan Canasta, Simon Aronson, and in particular Eugene Burger. I pick all of them because of the sleights they don't use as much as because of the ones they use.

--Christopher Carter
jimbo
View Profile
New user
Jimbo
11 Posts

Profile of jimbo
Let's not forget Jerry Andrus. His card work (as is everything he does) was/is way ahead of its time.

James
TOBIAS
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle Magic
221 Posts

Profile of TOBIAS
I will say this once and only once.
If poker's your poison, here's your nightmare
BILL MALONE
This is a crazy cat...
If you need a list of the top crazy card guy let me know, I would be more than happy to give you one. Smile
Be true to your art, and it will be true to you
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
Don England....subtle and elegant.

While he's known for gaff work, he'll destroy you with an ordinary deck.

Simon Aronson for the depth and construction of his plots.

Gaeton Bloom because he is Gaeton Bloom.

Eugene Burger because he knows how to guide you down the garden path before you see the flowers.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2002-07-25 12:55, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 22:49, freaksrock62 wrote:

Gregory Wilson.

Greg Wilson is Mark Wilson's son.

Nope-- there are two Greg Wilson's.
Mark's son and another Greg Wilson that is a killer card man.

gunney
brownitus
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of brownitus
Some excellent individuals mentioned here, but I find it hard to believe Ray Kosby hasn't had one shout-out! Smile

Ray's complexity and otherworldly skill has had more influence on me than anyone else in magic. I've only had his ICM video for just less than a month and I've gained more inspiration from it than any other video. Ray might not be a great performer, but the man's sleight-of-hand is beyond words.

Even with many videos and books in my collection, I have to say that his effects and methods are my favourite, bar none.

peace.
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, 1899
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
505 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
From the point of view of somebody who doesn't know how Guy Hollingworth's Twisting the Aces was done, let me just say that I would have _never_ suspected any gaffs. It looked totally natural. It just looked like he took out the four kings, fanned them facing toward him and voila . . . they turn around one by one.
Oh, and I can't believe I forgot Eugene Burger. I've never been able to catch him on TV, but the short clips I've seen of him on the internet impressed me to no end. He can make the simplest things seem so theatrical . . .

Smile
Zenneth
View Profile
Regular user
China - Hong Kong
135 Posts

Profile of Zenneth
The underground legend--William Goodwin, truely a genius.
sstakoff
View Profile
New user
New York
1 Post

Profile of sstakoff
Guy Hollingworth's Twisting The Aces DOES NOT USE GAFFS! At least not the working shown on his "London Collection" video. I have done this effect with great success with a borrowed deck!
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
One of my favorite performers and card men of all time is Juan Tamariz. I think he's hilarious, and just has so many original ideas.
groovy
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of groovy
sstakoff, Guy Hollingworth's take on Twisting the Aces, featured on one of the World's Greatest Magic years ago, does use a clever gaff.

Back to the thread, Lennart Green in terms of incredible skills with deck of cards, Jerry Sadowitz for his skills and performance. Peter Duffie runs him a close 2nd.

Groovy
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
Derren Brown is a master of card magic. The biggest crime is he doesn't do it professionally now.

p.s. I'm sure most people know that GH's waving the aces can be done without gimmick (no change of kings to aces) or with his marketed gimmick (to give the kicker ending).
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
My votes go to Jay Sankey and Paul Harris. Also, a method I thought of for the kings to aces with Guy Hollingworth's Waving the Aces, besides his "Quartert" gimmick is to use his paperclip theory. check "Drawing Room Deceptions" for details. Smile
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
When It comes to card magic, I have been blessed in having a very good friend named Steve Dobson whos card magic and technique is flawless, if you havent heard of him, sit up and listen boys you will, you will. Remember the scene in star wars where yoda whiped some serious booty and did so unexpectedly.
Steve is very unassuming, as soon as he gets the cards out prepare to loose you mind, you are better off just opening up your skull and putting your brain on a platter for him. He will devistate you.
Just wait when he strts to release his card magic and other items you will see a true Jedi at work. Smile Smile Smile Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Most surprising card magician out there? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.383285 seconds, requiring 106 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [1] [7] [4] [0] [2] [8] [6]