The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Most surprising card magician out there? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2002-07-25 12:55, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 22:49, freaksrock62 wrote:
Greg Wilson...the ultra man! Smile

Gregory Wilson.

Greg Wilson is Mark Wilson's son.

Nope-- there are two Greg Wilson's.
Mark's son and another Greg Wilson that is a killer card man.

gunney
brownitus
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of brownitus
Some excellent individuals mentioned here, but I find it hard to believe Ray Kosby hasn't had one shout-out! Smile

Ray's complexity and otherworldly skill has had more influence on me than anyone else in magic. I've only had his ICM video for just less than a month and I've gained more inspiration from it than any other video. Ray might not be a great performer, but the man's sleight-of-hand is beyond words.

Even with many videos and books in my collection, I have to say that his effects and methods are my favourite, bar none.

peace.
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, 1899
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
From the point of view of somebody who doesn't know how Guy Hollingworth's Twisting the Aces was done, let me just say that I would have _never_ suspected any gaffs. It looked totally natural. It just looked like he took out the four kings, fanned them facing toward him and voila . . . they turn around one by one.
Oh, and I can't believe I forgot Eugene Burger. I've never been able to catch him on TV, but the short clips I've seen of him on the internet impressed me to no end. He can make the simplest things seem so theatrical . . .

Smile
Zenneth
View Profile
Regular user
China - Hong Kong
135 Posts

Profile of Zenneth
The underground legend--William Goodwin, truely a genius.
sstakoff
View Profile
New user
New York
1 Post

Profile of sstakoff
Guy Hollingworth's Twisting The Aces DOES NOT USE GAFFS! At least not the working shown on his "London Collection" video. I have done this effect with great success with a borrowed deck!
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
One of my favorite performers and card men of all time is Juan Tamariz. I think he's hilarious, and just has so many original ideas.
groovy
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of groovy
sstakoff, Guy Hollingworth's take on Twisting the Aces, featured on one of the World's Greatest Magic years ago, does use a clever gaff.

Back to the thread, Lennart Green in terms of incredible skills with deck of cards, Jerry Sadowitz for his skills and performance. Peter Duffie runs him a close 2nd.

Groovy
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
Derren Brown is a master of card magic. The biggest crime is he doesn't do it professionally now.

p.s. I'm sure most people know that GH's waving the aces can be done without gimmick (no change of kings to aces) or with his marketed gimmick (to give the kicker ending).
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
My votes go to Jay Sankey and Paul Harris. Also, a method I thought of for the kings to aces with Guy Hollingworth's Waving the Aces, besides his "Quartert" gimmick is to use his paperclip theory. check "Drawing Room Deceptions" for details. Smile
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
When It comes to card magic, I have been blessed in having a very good friend named Steve Dobson whos card magic and technique is flawless, if you havent heard of him, sit up and listen boys you will, you will. Remember the scene in star wars where yoda whiped some serious booty and did so unexpectedly.
Steve is very unassuming, as soon as he gets the cards out prepare to loose you mind, you are better off just opening up your skull and putting your brain on a platter for him. He will devistate you.
Just wait when he strts to release his card magic and other items you will see a true Jedi at work. Smile Smile Smile Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Lee Asher
View Profile
V.I.P.
496 Posts

Profile of Lee Asher
Anyone ever heard of Justin Hanes?
He is one of my favorites....

Asher
LEARN ONE CARD ROUTINE EVERY MAGICIAN MUST KNOW
Click Here To Get Started Right Away
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I think I have the single most surprising card magician for you - Uri Geller! Yep, the old metal bender himself! A while back (it was the late 80's or early 90's), I happened to be visiting the Magic Castle on the same night as Uri Geller. He wasn't performing for the Castle, just visiting. He did some surprisingly good sleight-of-hand magic that night, and nothing you'd mistake for "psychic powers", either. Smile

As for Shoot Ogawa - I agree. But I think that's unfair - he's the most amazing all-around magician! Darwin's club in Vegas is better for having him as a regular.

If you like Shoot, you'll like Armando Lucero as well. His coin and card work makes me wonder if he's just using real magic.

It was funny to see Brian Tudor's name on this list. He grew up learning in the same magic store I worked at - California Magic & Novelty.
sleightly_impressive
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of sleightly_impressive
Let's not forget Ricky Jay. His handling and presentation of card routines is flawless and astounding. I'd love to spend an afternoon w/ Ricky learning from him....
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I think Tobias is on to something, when he cites Bill Malone. When considering these things I have to take in the whole package (well-rounded entertainer), which it appears, many have with their descriptions of Lennart Green.

To me Bill Malone is a standard to which all should aspire. There are plenty of card guys out there, whose ability with cards borders on the edge of space. They may be able to pinky-count 47 cards, 100% of the time, but cannot do so without giving an affect of frequent irregularity discomfort.

Performers like Bill Malone (and I will blindly presume Lennart green) never show the toil on their faces--their get-readys and preparatory moves are invisibly cloaked in legitimate entertainment.

So, with that standard, I submit:

Bill Malone
Gregory Wilson
Guy Hollingworth
Paul Gertner
Simon Lovell
David Regal
Ricky Jay (a monster of presenation)

A stellar group. An abbreviated list, but first to enter my mind.

--Ron Smile
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
Folks-Let us not forget the man with his 52 assistants.......the uncomparable.........
unsurpassed Ricky Jay!
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
CS Sheridan
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of CS Sheridan
And I put a third vote in for Mr. Jay. Amazing. I would kill to learn from him.
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
I don't think Mr Jay would be willing to teach you if you killed someone. Smile
As I've stated on another thread: If you've seen a guy named Bill Goodwin perform - all discussion on this topic would cease. I've only seen Mr Goodwin perform twice in person - at a couple of conventions in the early '90's - L.J. would cry out "Do a trick Billy!" Mr. Goodwin would come across the room and amaze the likes of D. Ortiz - M. Close - R. Klause and M. Skinner - with L.J. just smiling benignly in the background

Dave
truquero
View Profile
New user
México
60 Posts

Profile of truquero
For me, the very best guy is René Lavand.
I think many of you´ll agree (if you have seen his performance)
Regards! Smile
"No es suficiente que yo sea feliz, necesito que los demás sufran" Groucho Marx.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
I think GARY KURTZ is a monster of cardman, just have a look on his effect "force thought" and you'll see what I mean!!
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Greg Wilson, Paul Harris, Bill Malone and of course David Regal-they're my favorites
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Most surprising card magician out there? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL