The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Contrast by Victor Sanz (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Creator: Victor Sanz
Publisher: Sans Minds
MSRP: $ 35
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 43 min

Type of effect: Torn & Restored Color Change

Manufacturer's Write Up:

Contrast is a single card color change that you can do to a SIGNED and TORN card. The change is extremely visual and can be done openly right in front of the spectators. Once the magical moment happens the card can immediately be handed out for examination. You spectator can also keep the impossible souvenir.

Words cannot explain how impossible this effect is!

*Hand crafted gimmick included
*Two handling: Full card color change and 3/4 card color change
*Fully examinable

*TV rights not included with purchase. Please contact SansMinds for TV rights.

How accurate is the ad copy? Nothing misleading

What's in the box? Hand crafted gimmick fully assembled and 43 minute DVD

Key points: Looks more difficult than it is, but the gimmick does a lot of the heavy lifting for you.

How are the production values: Sans Minds always makes great DVDs, excellent production values and so much content.

Is it well made: Very well made and so glad it's fully built, I can't imagine how to make another one.

Is it well taught: Herman from Sans Minds is your teacher and Jason does all of the live performances. This DVD has everything you need, tips, FAQs, how to, variations and step by step moves.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I loved everything about this, from the extensive DVD to the crazy awesome gimmick.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" The gimmick and a deck of cards is all you need.

Does it "play big?" this one is a "fooler" - it starts off as a torn and restored card trick and transforms into a color change.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) absolutely, I'm a believer!

How original is this idea? I've seen nothing like it before!

Overall score: 10/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evR7yBGyyMY
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
You should be doing more reviews DavidKenney! Very nicely done. I love this effect. It's such a fooler and ends clean.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Curious if it is available in red to blue and blue to red?
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
I just got this , four words : this is really good .

You can only change it from blue to red with the provided gimmick .

Not sure how long the gimmick can last , but I've spent a good one hour playing with it and it's still working like a charm , still looks new .

My advice will be to put some tape ( just normal tape ) at the back of the special area ( you'll understand what I'm saying if you have the gimmick . ) That area requires do**le si**d ta*e placed on . Due to the working that part will probably wear out the easiest . Also it won't be seen so no worries on placing some protective tapes there .

I really like this , one of the best SansMinds release for me .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I finally received mine earlier this week, shipping took friggin forever.. longest I ever had to wait for a package but that's besides the point. let's get into the review...

So I had a chance to play around with this and I have to say this thing is awesome, I absolutely love it. As magician560 said, the handcrafted gimmick that is comes with only allows it to change from Blue to red. BUT... the good news is that you can definitely reconstruct the gimmick in such a way that it changes from red to blue. it wouldn't be too hard to build really, once you see how it's built you'll see exactly how it's made. It is a card based gimmick, but does require something extra that you may or may not have laying around. I haven't seen any other gimmick like this, it is a very clever idea. The materials used are fairly ordinary. It does not teach you how to construct your own gimmick, but I don't think it's necessary cause like I said, once you see it you should be able to figure it out.

They teach two handlings, one where the extra piece changes as well, and the other where the extra piece is stays the way it is and you change 3/4 of the card, so your spectator will be left with an impossible souvenir. The handling is very easy, a couple moves that have to be done but their so easy it's hard to even consider them moves at all. There is a slight set-up, which can be done before hand, or in front of the spectator with a little audience management. During either handing, there is a moment that requires a slight bit of misdirection. However it's a very small moment, and is done in the action of getting your sharpie out. I can garauntee no one would ever notice. Btw, If you have some knowledge of card magic/card sleights then you can probably manage to adjust the handling so you don't need a set up. Anyway, during the moment of magic, you put the deck away so there wont be any heat on that, then you do the change, hand out their signed card... then duck and cover because everyone's minds will be exploding around you and unless you want to get covered in brains, it's best to duck and cover.

The change is a little knacky at first, but nothing that a few minutes of practice won't solve. Probably the only complaint I have, is that the change is a little noisy. Some ambient noise will cover this, but I'd be a little worried to perform this if it's very quiet.

Now while you can do the full card change right away, the 3/4 does require an additional gimmick to be made which they do teach. It's not very hard to make, and considering the effect, I'd say it's well worth the time. You can have a bunch of these set up if you want, but your only going to need one of the main gimmick.

As others have said the gimmick packs very small, in fact it packs smaller even than a card would. So storage shouldn't be an issue at all.

Overall, I really love this effect. I personally prefer the 3/4 change so you leave them with an impossible souvenir and a great story to tell afterwards. I'd deduct half a point for the noise that the change makes, but otherwise this is a solid, workable routine. In my opinion this effect would be worthy to close with just because of how impossible the effect is. Highly recommend this.

9.5/10

-Jameson
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
My review will be published in Magic Magazine, probably not this issue but next issue (I am just submitting it now). I'll let you read it then but I am pleasantly surprised (I have been pretty critical with SansMinds in the past).
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Hi Peter, could you post your review here beforehand? It would be helpful. I like the look of this but it seems to have quite polarised opinions. Those that love it and those that really dislike the gimmick saying it's very flimsy and will break easily. Many thanks.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
I got one. Buy it. Period.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2016, LankyHobo wrote:
Hi Peter, could you post your review here beforehand? It would be helpful. I like the look of this but it seems to have quite polarised opinions. Those that love it and those that really dislike the gimmick saying it's very flimsy and will break easily. Many thanks.

I really can't. If we pre-published the material that is included there would not be much incentive to buy such a great product. We can talk personally via PM or email though if you would like.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Thanks Peter I totally understand no problem. I guess it was only the durability of the gimmick that I'm wondering about. Read some reviews saying it's badly made and feels like it'll tear easily. Please feel free to pm me. Cheers.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
I've been performing this a lot. It's actually very durable. For those who commented base on how it looks might not have actually worked it. Just my 2 cents.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2016, LankyHobo wrote:

You keep saying that about the gimmick but no one has said that anywhere I can find. There are eight positive reviews in this thread and zero negative. Not sure what more you want. Either you take posters opinions or you don't. There aren't any polarized opinions.

It's made of card stock so its durability is equal to that of card stock. It is well put together but like any card gaff it will eventually wear out. Not because it's poorly made but because it's the nature of the material. If you're expecting a lifetime of use then you will eventually be disappointed. It's not flimsy at all, it's actually very sturdy. It just feels like you're fishing for something.

It's a very simple but clever illusion. A little knacky at first. Happy I purchased.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
I'm not fishing for anything. I'm talking about reviews I saw on penguin. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20508#reviews
Very much differences of opinion. I'm glad everyone here thinks it's great and no doubt I'll get as it looks great. But I think being a little over cautious when it comes to Sansminds products is neither strange or unreasonable. But my apologies all the same as I wasn't fishing but I didn't mean to sound as though I was doubting anybody's opinion. Thanks.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Ahh, I just read through them, now I get it. Not sure why people are complaining about the materials (it's card stock, nothing else could be used). Mine seems like it will last for a while. Will it last thousands of performances, no probably not. The change is knacky. The main handling version I haven't gotten regularly yet, but there's a change in the additional handling that worked the first time I tried it and is very reliable. Not sure if it's how my gaff was made that makes it work or the movement is easier for me. Anyhow, I like that change, it feels like the hand position is fair and the movement is natural. There is a bit of issue with noise for something you need, I haven't figured out how to minimize it yet but I'm sure there's a simple solution. The other complaint I saw were the angles, they go over variations to minimize it. I can see how angles could be an issue, without giving away anything, the way it's created creates an opening that could be visible. I don't perform for big groups so not an issue for me. As long as they're in front not a problem at all. As with all effects, I only care if it's a stunner when done in a proper setting. I don't need every trick to be something I do every time every place. It's a little overpriced at $35 (in full fairness I bought it for less so it was worth the cost to me). I really like it, trying to integrate it with Color Fusion for something quite special. Hope this helps.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Nice one, thanks very much Slackerking. Sorry, I should have explained properly earlier what I was referring to as I realise I sounded a bit fishing. Anyway, sounds good. And yeah Color Fusion I remember was definitely cool. Many thanks!
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Hey guys, a little update after messing around with this for a while..

One, in regards to the noise, something that I found helps but doesn't completely eliminate it is to hold the card a bit deeper into your fingers from the starting position and lightly squeeze. Those who own this will know why this helps I think. Also you can lay the card flat and "wave" or "rub" your hand over the card to make it appear as if it changes slowly. Hard to describe without revealing anything, but I hope those that own this can understand what I mean as well. But the second way of changing that I mention can make the gimmick work nearly silent if you practice.

Two, in regards to angles.. though they do mention something in the video that helps, I have found a much much better way that will make this virtually angle proof.. instead of doing the change off to the side or with one hand. Hold it at chest level, but hold the card with both hands. Then let go with one of your hands right before the change. Angle problem solved..

Lastly I would like to announce and confirm that you can indeed create your own gimmick. I said that this is possible before but since then I have successfully constructed my own gimmick and works just as well as the one I received. This opens up the doors to creating a gimmick with ANY cards you like. If you are familiar with making card gaffs, then you will find this is very doable as long as you have the materials. Figuring out how to make it is the easy part. And though it was a bit of a pain to make, it wasn't anything too crazy compared to other stuff that I've dealt with. If you can deal with making some of shin lims gaffs then this shouldn't be much trouble at all.

Anyway hope this helps!
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Great suggestions Jamo425. Thanks for posting them.
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
SO.... is this still holding up a year and a half later ?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Are you asking about its physical durability or if people are still performing it?
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Both I suppose. Gimmick holding up and is the effect still getting good reactions .... anyone come up with tips, ideas on handling, presentation...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Contrast by Victor Sanz (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL