The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cube 3 - Steven Brundage (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
374 Posts

Profile of canaday
Cube 3 - Steven Brundage
$34.95

What you get: A non-gimmicked Rubik’s Cube and a flash drive containing some cheat sheets in pdf format and three hours of instructional video. This is some of the best and most efficient packaging I have ever seen in a magic effect. Everything fits neatly into a small cubed box. Most tricks come with a DVD which greatly increases the size and unnecessary packaging. Using a flash drive eliminates this. I hope to see other manufacturers follow suit on this.

Like a lot of people who watched Steven do this routine on Penn and Teller Fool Us, I assumed a gaffed cube was used. After watching the video, I can assure you that it wasn’t. The only gimmick used was lots and lots of practice. Watching a lot of magic videos can actually be a chore at times. This was a joy to watch from beginning to end. I do not like watching videos on my pc so I burned myself a two DVD set and watched it on my television. Greatly improved both the clarity and the instructional value. Although the cube is not gaffed, Steven found cubes that not only move very easily but are totally silent to cover the moves.

The first video is a master’s course in how to solve the cube. I gave up on this long ago and after watching the complexity involved I know now why I couldn’t do it. This video covers every facet of conquering the cube, layer by layer. The cheat sheets provided make the memorization of the moves easier. This is one video you will have to watch with cube in hand. My wife knits while watching TV and I usually have a deck of cards in hand. My cube may just replace the deck.

The second video teaches the tricks and a few cube flourishes. You actually do not have to know how to solve the cube to do the routines but you do have to start with a fully solved cube. If your cube is mixed, go back to the first video and learn how to remedy that. Every routine on this video is possible to be done by the average person but they will require a lot of practice. And if you want to learn throwing the cube behind your back, practice over a soft surface (because you will be dropping it regularly until you get the knack down) or practice with something other than your cube. Once you get the moves down, the skill learned will do wonders for your dexterity. Although the actual mechanics of the routines are fairly simple, they are killers. Each and every one is a reputation maker. He teaches most of what he did on the Penn and Teller Show but the trick at the end (where he matches the pattern of Teller’s Cube) is not taught.

We have all seen thirty five dollar tricks that are not worth the money. This one definitely is. You get not only the video but a quality prop to go with it. This is not a trick you buy today and do tonight but if you take the time to learn it properly, you will have something you will always use.

Positives: Strong beautiful routine with great video instructions and a good quality cube. This is a trick that you cannot help but play with once you watch the video. And once you learn it, you are going to be confronting strangers on the street shouting, “Hey, watch this!”ť

Negatives: The only negative I can think of is if you need a trick for tonight or you just aren’t committed to learning the moves.

Conclusion: A real keeper. One of the few five star effects that I have run across.
Oakman
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Oakman
Once I finally learned how to solve the cube (with Steve's method) I've been having a blast with this.
MagicalAlex
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MagicalAlex
However, he does NOT reveal 1-2 moves he does on Fool US :-(
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
414 Posts

Profile of Thales
Sounds great! I think I will pick this up. Was just wondering though, does Steven give us a source to buy new cubes of this quality?
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
327 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
leosy7
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
9 Posts

Profile of leosy7
I bought this trick 3 months ago. Zero knowledge on Rubik's cube before so it took me a month just to learn and be comfortable in solving the cube. Now I can solve it in less than 2 min. Anyways, that is the solving part. The other part is getting faster in doing the moves. It took me a week for the sleight of hand secret moves. I had to buy 5 other cubes from different manufacturers from Amazon to find the feel of cube I am looking for. The original cube I received from Steve B, after many practice, the stickers were falling apart. Besides I want a more colorful cube, neon color for performing for kids. I put together my own routine, in which I put the cube on the spectator's hand and cover it with my Fedora hat. As I cover, I solve the cube that is in about 2 seconds. So it gets solved in the spectator's hand which is amazing. For the first time, I did it in my strolling magic show yesterday and it was fun for my audience and myself. I highly recommend this, if you are willing to put in the hard work. Oh by the way, the best cube is Topsung Moyu Aolong Speed Cube Enhanced Edition Smooth Magic Cube, Black from Amazon. The other one, which is basically the same product is D-FantiX Moyu Aolong V2 Speed Cube 3x3 Enhanced Edition Smooth Magic Cube Black. Each of them are $13.99. This Rubik's cube is very quiet, already lubricated, solid structure, fast turning, and won't lock up on you
Takamiz Usui
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Takamiz Usui
This is Takamiz Usui
I'm rubik's cube tricks originator.

What do you think the Cube3 by Steven Brundage?
He used to my technique after published one hand technique by the Cube3.
But he didn't have permission.

One hand technique from me.
How to hold
Exactly same
4 kinds of how to move finger
Exactly same
How many times turns
Exactly same
In turn order
My technique if A-B-C-D
His published A-D-C-B
Just reverse
Is it original ?

I couldn't understand it.
And with paper bag effect is already published me.

He continues to ignore me.
And he has never apology to us.
What do you think about it?
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Post a video of you doing it
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4852 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
He doesn't need to. His DVD "The cube" came out way before Cube3. Cubers all know he's the person that first published. Steven finally credited him on the DVD, albeit very briefly.
James

Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, IDOTRIX wrote:
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Veteran user
In Your Thots
399 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2016, Xiqual wrote:
He doesn't need to. His DVD "The cube" came out way before Cube3. Cubers all know he's the person that first published. Steven finally credited him on the DVD, albeit very briefly.
James

Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, IDOTRIX wrote:

Then, clearly Cube3 must be catergorized as a rip off, imho. Sadly, similar stuff coming up on other threads currently - Steven Brundage, Pablo Amira(shadow peek), Rich Lax(reverse psychology). Sometime back there was Rasmus(x ray). Quite depressing really.

More depressing is the fact that they all seem to do good sales. Is this lack of knowledge or lack of ethics on the part of us magicians/mentalists in general?
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4852 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Yes, I agree. When you are a famous magician and you have lots of famous friends, this kind of thing gets pushed under the rug. Takamiz gets screwed in this situation. If you watch his DVD, you can see he is a master of the cube.
He probably has a ton of routines and ideas but why would he publish them? Sad.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Lloyddagdag
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Lloyddagdag
For the price I paid, what I got from this is 4 effects which I built into an entire routine (i copied Steve's Fool Us routine, I figured out the millisecond solve and the matching one used as finale). These routine really entertains.

Disclaimer: I already know how to solve the cube before I bought cube3. I use Shengshou Aurora

Pros: comes with a good speedcube (vs other products), priced low, clear instructions, usable and practical effects/routines
Cons: false shuffle is mediocre (vs others, eg. CubeFX false shuffle), crediting issues, subtitled portion of video, mine doesn't have UsB but a link to download files (purchased from Murphys)

Well worth it. Buy it.
dj
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of dj
Steven Brundage in german television show with his Cube3:

http://www.sat1.de/tv/it-s-showtime-das-......els-clip

Darko
MikeLiu
View Profile
Regular user
vancouver
104 Posts

Profile of MikeLiu
Worth practice
The Modern Magician - Mike Liu

www.mikeliumagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cube 3 - Steven Brundage (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL