The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » HN Review 89: The Cantrip Codex: a Guide for the Advanced Enigmatist - Tony Doc Shiels » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 89: The Cantrip Codex: a Guide for the Advanced Enigmatist - Tony Doc Shiels

AD:

N/A (out of print)

REVIEW:

1989 hardbound production from one of the grandfathers of Bizarre Magic.

The book, published by the late Tony Andruzzi, focuses on original presentational aspects instead of actual methods. It includes a couple of séances, essays on his performance philosophy, effects with a Polaroid camera, tarot cards, weird artifacts etc . My favorite was a “backward in time” effect with human hairs and bones…

After reading this book, many wished they could meet his daughter Wiccan.

Overall rating: good (and even better for the assiduous bizarrists)

H.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24129 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is, indeed, an interesting book for the bizzarist. One thing to consider is that Tony Shiels never intended to publish it. It was basically published because Tony Andruzzi decided it needed to be published.

This is a good and accurate review of the book. I doubt that I could add anything to it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
953 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Thanks for bringing it up.

Anabelle
restlessplots
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of restlessplots
I have read this book, and think it is worth the read. Some say the material is not practical, I feel the vaule is in, the way it makes you think. It is not worth the going price, when you can find it, but if you know someone with a copy of it, worth it to borrow it.

REST
appletruth
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of appletruth
Why do many wish they could meet his daughter Wiccan ?
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
His daughter IS a Wiccan, that is not her name, I don;t believe. In many of the pictures, she is nekkid.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Doc Shiels has done some great thinkig. He understands that concept and presentation are all and method (while necessary) is unimportant. All of the hours that I have spent with him were valuable to me.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
287 Posts

Profile of Xia
Please correct me if I am wrong, he published pictures of his naked daughter?? Does that strike anyone else as being slightly wrong??
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I guess that depends on which part of America you are from Smile
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
One, Shiels is NOT from America, but Cornwall. Second, his daughter is definately of age and consented. Third, its a pagan thing.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Hard to find book. And expensive when found. I will keep an eye out. Seems like a decent read.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Amazing Dick
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Amazing Dick
I got lucky and bought Jay Inglee's copy dedicated to him by Tony Andruzzi. This book has alot of food for thought, especially in the presentation of your effects. Doc Sheils writing style is irreverant, self proclaiming and very entertaining. I will leave ya'll with a quote "These days , I introduce myself as a cantrip-casting shaminic surrealchemist, which is quite a mouthful,but a nourishing one".
Tony "Doc" Shiels
Thanks Harvey for getting me to dust of this one again.

Oh yeah ,
Check out Tony Shiel's painting online. Do a search engine. He presides in Ireland. His artwork is very surreal.
Peace Out
Amazing Dick
Peace Out !
Amazing Dick
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
It is indeed a fine volume! Tony Shiels is a real pioneer.

Yours,

Paul
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
760 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Sounds like an interesting book Smile,
:stout:
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24129 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's a Scots-Irish thing, you wouldn't understand. Or maybe you would.

Seriously, you need to read the book, then you would get it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I've got a copy that I may part with. It does have underlines/ highlighting so it's not a collector's copy, but the work is important thing. It also includes a picture of the ol "Doc" sitting on a sofa in a Chicago hotel room with the very same book lying next to him. BTW the book is inscribed to me by Tony.
Contact me at MAGE928@AOL.COM to discuss this further.
I also have some other Shiels material that may be of interest.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
287 Posts

Profile of Xia
Sorry Bill but saying that it's a Scots/Irish thing doesn't wash with me I know hundreds of both scots and irish guys/gals. I can't think of any I know that would consent to taking pictures of their neked daughter!!
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
It's a wiccan thing. They don't view the body in the negative context that most of us are brought up to believe in. In the pictures she looks to be somewhere from 19 to 22.

I don't believe Tony took the pictures he just had them put in the book for her sectin of the book. I also don't believe he had it anywhere in his brain that a bunch of lonely losers would use those pictures for a cheap Saturday night date.

I just believe Tony is proud of his daughter's free thinking life style, unclutter by the "social norms" of today's over p.c.'d way of thinking.
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
287 Posts

Profile of Xia
A wiccan thing I can believe.
A Scots/ Irish thing I cannot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » HN Review 89: The Cantrip Codex: a Guide for the Advanced Enigmatist - Tony Doc Shiels » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL