The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Door by Roddy McGhie (110 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2201 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
Ps it also makes sure I don't use the wrong Sharpie too 😊
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Two questions: a lot of you guys using this for strolling in gigs, right? And second, do we know if the version from penguin comes with a sharpie marker? Or at least instructions to gimmick it so?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2013 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Why are people so hung up on the Sharpie issue. You are erasing the box at the end anyway. Why would you not clearly use a dry erase marker ?
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

For myself, I just thought part of all the magic was that we erased something thought to be permanent.
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2201 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
No the magic is turning a drawn on door into one that actually opens and lets you into the peeking of the selection , the marker isn't the effect imo . Anyhow you can easily remove any writing on any marker so it appears plain so then it would just be a marker and most are permanent if you are really concerned about it . Good magic to all Tarik 🙂
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Thanks Tarik. (And I hear ya, I understand it isn't the "major/main" effect, but I thought Roddy did it that way.) I'm sure I'll be ordering it this week. I've got a slew of October (Halloween) gigs I want to work a few new things into a set.
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2201 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
It's a great effect Nathan pm your address and I will post you a brand new sharpie conversion Roddy made for me for free as I have a few . Best wishes Tarik 🙂
Barnstormer
View Profile
Regular user
Batavia, Ohio
150 Posts

Profile of Barnstormer
I just bought Little Door from the Café marketplace, new never used. It has the DVD and markers so is clearly genuine.

The box I received had poor quality control. The glue is all bunched up on the bottom flap and even goes around to to sides. The box is where you put the heat and should be examinable. Sure enough on the first use, spectator says "look at this glue, the box has been taken apart"

I sent a message to Roddy, no reply.

Can anyone offer tips on making a new box?
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2201 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
Mine was non assembled and I glued it all together . I agree you should not have to but I have bought 10 original gimmicks from Roddy but you can with some thought knock these up yourself once you have an original Tarik 🙂
Barnstormer
View Profile
Regular user
Batavia, Ohio
150 Posts

Profile of Barnstormer
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2018, Tarik Flash wrote:
Mine was non assembled and I glued it all together . I agree you should not have to but I have bought 10 original gimmicks from Roddy but you can with some thought knock these up yourself once you have an original Tarik 🙂

Ok, so when you buy the effect, it is unassembled? That would explain the poor assembly.

Are the mandolin backs all good for dry e markers?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
5333 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Which is the best marker as the ones I’ve tried are all grey and do not match the black gimmick?
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2483 Posts

Profile of Robert M
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
5333 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Perfect. Thanks Robert.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam, Holland
56 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
That is perfect indeed! Will be ordering this!
rosariorose9
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
344 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Tried a BUNCH of markers, none of which looked good - until I bought a few, a couple of months ago, from Propdog based on Robert's recommendation. They are the best I've found, both as to the thickness and the opacity of the line they produce.
GusGarcia
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of GusGarcia
I converted my own from some dry erase markers I found at WalMart. They look similar to construction as regular sharpies so it was pretty easy to do.
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2201 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
Roddy does show how to easily convert a normal sharpie into a dry erase one on a link he sent me . However I agree with Pegasus that the boldness of the marker is key and Propdogs are great Tarik 🙂
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
Nobody cares about the marker given you're sliding the door open and exposing the card.

If I felt someone was burning it, I might even call attention directly to it. After all, the idea is that you're drawing a working door onto the card, of course you have to use dry erase it for easy clean-up, otherwise the audience would "know how its done"...

The more "matter of fact" this is presented, the more impossible it seems IMO.
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2201 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
I agree about the actual brand of marker it doesn’t matter . The point is or isn’t at times 😉 is that the black line on erase marker pens is sometimes just too translucent so that’s why Prop dogs version is a great choice or any others you find that give a very dark black but fine image that represents the gimmick . Best wishes Tarik 🙂
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
Certainly agree on that point. The CASEMATE dry erase markers from WalMart do the job perfectly in my experience, and are shaped just like a sharpie except they do say Dry Erase Marker on them. For some things I swap them into Sharpie bodies, for Little Door, I simply use as is.

They are an easy swap for anyone interested. I've never used the Prop Dogs markers, but they certainly look great for anyone concerned about the branding and wanting to save a little work.

Quote:
On Jan 15, 2018, Tarik Flash wrote:
I agree about the actual brand of marker it doesn’t matter . The point is or isn’t at times 😉 is that the black line on erase marker pens is sometimes just too translucent so that’s why Prop dogs version is a great choice or any others you find that give a very dark black but fine image that represents the gimmick . Best wishes Tarik 🙂
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Door by Roddy McGhie (110 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL