The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ASYMPTOTES. New book coming soon from Ben Blau (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

I agree with Mike.

At first read, A Pale Blue to me didn't read as good as I thought it was.

Then I Skyped with Ben, he showed it to me, it made sense, it was well structured, and logical.

I can now say that I have performed this OOTW about a dozen or so times since learning it, and it is now my go to OOTW.

I even showed some of my magic buddies, and totally floored them, secret is safe with me.

I believe the book on its own is worth it for A Pale Blue, but you will get a lot more than the asking price.

I vouch that every single person will learn at least two to three effects or moves that they will perform at one point or another.

I know I have.

Thanks Ben.

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Thanks so much, Alex.

It's interesting that the effect you've named as being "worth the price of the book" is the very one you DIDN'T like when you first read it (!).

My advice? Don't be in too big a hurry to perform any of this material. If you're interested in one of the routines, take the time to study it, and understand it not only in a technical sense, but in a logical and theatrical sense. It may not be obvious at first.

;)

-Ben
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
Great to see Asymptotes as a banner ad on the Café! Smile

I've had my book now for a week and have not had the time to do it justice. Hopefully soon!
Tada!...

Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Just wanted to let everyone know that I've just received another shipment of books, so they are once again available from me directly.

If interested, please visit the website in my signature.

Thanks!
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
Where can this book be purchased in the UK??
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I think that pretty much all of the UK online dealers are selling it.

-Ben
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Quote:
On May 1, 2016, Ben Blau wrote:
I think that pretty much all of the UK online dealers are selling it.

-Ben

I think they have all sold out. From where I've looked anyway. Alakazam, magic books online, Saturn magic.,
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
They should be resupplied by the first week of May. Keep checking back. I appreciate your patience!
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
The book was never in stock at any off these dealers to be out off stock???
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
My guess is that they all sold out during the preorder phase. I do know that the wholesaler has placed additional orders since then, which were intended to resupply all of the vendors.
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
I'm hoping to pick this up!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
If you want to get the book sooner, I have some in stock. Go to the website in my signature to order.

-Ben
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
UK online magic shops don't have a re-stock date. I think this is going to be the best book off the year.
magicianphiltay
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham / UK
118 Posts

Profile of magicianphiltay
Got my copy delivered form Alakazam yesterday. I've read the first four tricks and already fell in love with CRIMSON CLUPEIDAE & SORT OF THE TRUTH, both impossible and both I will be working.

I can image this book getting book of the year 2016 and it becoming a classic, you know when you read a book how its going to pan out. My only hope is Ben doesn't release to many copies as I would like to fool a few magicians with the material within. But as they say not to many people read any-more and secretes are better kept in print.

I look forward to reading more...........

Thanks Ben for the realise.
Magic is not the suspension of reality, but the expansion of possibility, inviting us to question the limits of what we believe to be true.
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
Do you know when Alakazam will be getting more stock? They are a great shop to deal with.
magicianphiltay
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham / UK
118 Posts

Profile of magicianphiltay
Sorry I don't work for them. I just call the shop after placing my order.
Magic is not the suspension of reality, but the expansion of possibility, inviting us to question the limits of what we believe to be true.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I just was wondering........ After watching the video on the first page.......... Why would a mentalist SHUFFLE sooooooooooooo many times? This is what a magic trick looks like. Yes?

I know that my little picture over on the left shows me floating, and yes I was a magician for around 30 years. I've been in mentalism for the last ten and don't do any more magic. But at first glacé of the video, all I saw was a magician trying to make a card trick FIT into what he thinks mentalism is.

Just by using little phases with the words mind, influence, project your thoughts,, doesn't make card tricks mentalism. I am sorry but where is the mentalism? I couldn't watch all of the first video because the mentalist KEPT shuffling the cards...... Who does that other than a magician?

I understand that the key thing these days is mentalism and many magicians think that adding what they think is mentalism into their act (if they have one) makes them a mentalist. Uhhhhh it doesn't. Mentalism to me looks nothing like this? Now if I was still a card magician. I might be all over this book. It sounds like great card magic.

Ray
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Just got my copy yesterday! It's kind of nostalgic because I'm having memories come back to me about some of the early versions of the work in this book that Ben was developing when we first started chatting with one another. I remember getting a video or two a week of an effect demoed and being completely fooled literally 99% of the time!

I say all this because this isn't some half baked book of material from someone looking to make a quick buck, this is a tome of astounding mentalism they had been highly thought out by a very different mind!

I'll have a review up as soon as I make my way through it's jam packed 339 pages...

XX ,
-Jakob
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, Magical Dimensions wrote:
I just was wondering........ After watching the video on the first page.......... Why would a mentalist SHUFFLE sooooooooooooo many times? This is what a magic trick looks like. Yes?

Ray

If you're referring to "Ishin-Denshin", the performer doesn't need to shuffle the cards at all. In the video, I shuffled them twice as the performer. The others were to mime the actions of the participant (since I was just demonstrating the effect).

If casual shuffles are not congruent with your character, you could skip them. If you just don't like the material, you won't hurt my feelings.

:)

-Ben
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, Magical Dimensions wrote:

I know that my little picture over on the left shows me floating, and yes I was a magician for around 30 years. I've been in mentalism for the last ten and don't do any more magic. But at first glacé of the video, all I saw was a magician trying to make a card trick FIT into what he thinks mentalism is.

Just by using little phases with the words mind, influence, project your thoughts,, doesn't make card tricks mentalism. I am sorry but where is the mentalism? I couldn't watch all of the first video because the mentalist KEPT shuffling the cards...... Who does that other than a magician?

I understand that the key thing these days is mentalism and many magicians think that adding what they think is mentalism into their act (if they have one) makes them a mentalist. Uhhhhh it doesn't. Mentalism to me looks nothing like this? Now if I was still a card magician. I might be all over this book. It sounds like great card magic.

Ray

Agree completely, Ray.

It's card magic, not mentalism. I don't think that a lot of guys can recognize the difference which is a problem in my eyes.

It's like saying country music is suddenly jazz because you include a diminshed 7th chord. Not the way it works.

I've been discussing this with Ben and others on various places. They want to know WHY it isn't mentalism.

My answer is because it lacks the emotional and dramatic impact of mentalism. There is no feeling that the choices being made (or any of the actions for that matter, including the cuts and shuffles) have any real process behind them. Procedure, yes, process, no. It FEELS like the spectator could have just said anything and the outcome would have been the same, which is of course the case.

Now, Ben says that the reactions have been amazing. Well, maybe from magicians, and maybe there is some element from lay people of, "Wow, how did that happen?", but that is not what makes a presentation mentalism. Mentalism isn't just a happy accident.

Just my opinion, as always.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ASYMPTOTES. New book coming soon from Ben Blau (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL